• ATTENTION New Members: Please take a few moments to introduce yourself, show your commitment to harm reduction, and chat with the community in the "New Member Introduction" subforum. This will help unlock access to additional forum features and privileges.

Acne

So I used 20mg ED of Accutane for a month and the minor acne on back, shoulders, chest, and face cleared pretty well. Just had a few spots here and there.

I bumped down to 10mg ED after a month. It’s been a week since lowering the dosage and now I have what looks to be cystic acne on my back and a lot of spots on my chest.

Should I go back to 20mg ED and stay there for another 2-3 months before bumping down to 10mg ED? Or do I need to be patient and just continue at 10mg ED?

More common

That's a lot of possible side effects to be concerned about. Has anyone experienced any of these? I was thinking about giving Accutane a go due to lower back breaking out recently. But idk if it's worth the risk.

• Bone or joint pain
  • burning, redness, itching, or other signs of eye inflammation
  • difficulty with moving
  • nosebleeds
  • scaling, redness, burning, pain, or other signs of inflammation of the lips
  • skin infection or rash
Rare
  • Abdominal or stomach pain (severe)
  • attempts at suicide or thoughts of suicide (usually stops after medicine is stopped)
  • back pain
  • bleeding or inflammation of the gums
  • blurred vision or other changes in vision
  • changes in behavior
  • decreased vision after sunset or before sunrise (sudden or may continue after medicine is stopped)
  • diarrhea (severe)
  • headache (severe or continuing)
  • mental depression
  • nausea and vomiting
  • pain or tenderness of the eyes
  • pain, tenderness, or stiffness in the muscles (long-term treatment)
  • rectal bleeding
  • yellow eyes or skin
Incidence not known
  • Black, tarry stools
  • bloating
  • bloody cough
  • bloody or cloudy urine
  • bone pain, tenderness, or aching
  • burning or stinging of the skin
  • chest pain
  • confusion
  • constipation
  • convulsions
  • cough or hoarseness
  • dark-colored urine
  • decrease in height
  • difficulty breathing
  • difficulty speaking
  • difficulty swallowing
  • discharge from the eyes
  • dizziness
  • double vision
  • ear pain
  • excessive tearing
  • fainting
  • fast, irregular, pounding, or racing heartbeat or pulse
  • fever with or without chills
  • fractures and/or delayed healing
  • heartburn
  • high blood pressure
  • hives or skin rash
  • inability to move the arms, legs, or facial muscles
  • inability to speak
  • indigestion
  • inflamed tissue from infection
  • irregular yellow patch or lump on the skin
  • irritation
  • joint pain, redness, stiffness, or swelling
  • lack or slowing of normal growth in children
  • loosening of the fingernails
  • loss of appetite
  • loss of bladder control
  • loss or change in hearing
  • muscle cramps, spasms, or weakness
  • pain in the ribs, arms, or legs
  • pain or burning in the throat
  • pain or tenderness around the eyes and cheekbones
  • painful cold sores or blisters on the lips, nose, eyes, or genitals
  • painful or difficult urination
  • pains in the chest, groin, or legs, especially calves of the legs
  • pains in the stomach, side, or abdomen, possibly radiating to the back
  • pale skin
  • pinpoint red spots on the skin
  • redness or soreness around the fingernails
  • redness, soreness, or itching skin
  • sensitivity of the eyes to sunlight
  • sneezing
  • sores, ulcers, or white spots on the lips or tongue or inside the mouth
  • stuffy or runny nose
  • sudden loss of consciousness
  • sudden loss of coordination
  • sudden onset of severe acne on the chest and trunk
  • sudden onset of slurred speech
  • swelling of the eyelids, face, lips, hands, lower legs, or feet
  • swollen, painful or tender lymph glands in the neck, armpit, or groin
  • tightness in the chest
  • unusual bleeding or bruising
  • unusual weight gain or loss
  • use of extreme physical or emotional force
  • watery or bloody diarrhea

Hello all, I have a pretty bad case of cystic acne, and my doctor prescribed an antibiotic,called minocyclene. Reading up on this it appears to have some nasty side effects. Has anyone hear ever used this drug, and what was your experience?..I don't think this drug is for me, but I'd like to get some input from someone who has used it.
Thanks......

Hello all, I have a pretty bad case of cystic acne, and my doctor prescribed an antibiotic,called minocyclene. Reading up on this it appears to have some nasty side effects. Has anyone hear ever used this drug, and what was your experience?..I don't think this drug is for me, but I'd like to get some input from someone who has used it.
Thanks......
Never had that one myself, but is your acne AAS related?

More common

That's a lot of possible side effects to be concerned about. Has anyone experienced any of these? I was thinking about giving Accutane a go due to lower back breaking out recently. But idk if it's worth the risk.

• Bone or joint pain
  • burning, redness, itching, or other signs of eye inflammation
  • difficulty with moving
  • nosebleeds
  • scaling, redness, burning, pain, or other signs of inflammation of the lips
  • skin infection or rash
Rare
  • Abdominal or stomach pain (severe)
  • attempts at suicide or thoughts of suicide (usually stops after medicine is stopped)
  • back pain
  • bleeding or inflammation of the gums
  • blurred vision or other changes in vision
  • changes in behavior
  • decreased vision after sunset or before sunrise (sudden or may continue after medicine is stopped)
  • diarrhea (severe)
  • headache (severe or continuing)
  • mental depression
  • nausea and vomiting
  • pain or tenderness of the eyes
  • pain, tenderness, or stiffness in the muscles (long-term treatment)
  • rectal bleeding
  • yellow eyes or skin
Incidence not known
  • Black, tarry stools
  • bloating
  • bloody cough
  • bloody or cloudy urine
  • bone pain, tenderness, or aching
  • burning or stinging of the skin
  • chest pain
  • confusion
  • constipation
  • convulsions
  • cough or hoarseness
  • dark-colored urine
  • decrease in height
  • difficulty breathing
  • difficulty speaking
  • difficulty swallowing
  • discharge from the eyes
  • dizziness
  • double vision
  • ear pain
  • excessive tearing
  • fainting
  • fast, irregular, pounding, or racing heartbeat or pulse
  • fever with or without chills
  • fractures and/or delayed healing
  • heartburn
  • high blood pressure
  • hives or skin rash
  • inability to move the arms, legs, or facial muscles
  • inability to speak
  • indigestion
  • inflamed tissue from infection
  • irregular yellow patch or lump on the skin
  • irritation
  • joint pain, redness, stiffness, or swelling
  • lack or slowing of normal growth in children
  • loosening of the fingernails
  • loss of appetite
  • loss of bladder control
  • loss or change in hearing
  • muscle cramps, spasms, or weakness
  • pain in the ribs, arms, or legs
  • pain or burning in the throat
  • pain or tenderness around the eyes and cheekbones
  • painful cold sores or blisters on the lips, nose, eyes, or genitals
  • painful or difficult urination
  • pains in the chest, groin, or legs, especially calves of the legs
  • pains in the stomach, side, or abdomen, possibly radiating to the back
  • pale skin
  • pinpoint red spots on the skin
  • redness or soreness around the fingernails
  • redness, soreness, or itching skin
  • sensitivity of the eyes to sunlight
  • sneezing
  • sores, ulcers, or white spots on the lips or tongue or inside the mouth
  • stuffy or runny nose
  • sudden loss of consciousness
  • sudden loss of coordination
  • sudden onset of severe acne on the chest and trunk
  • sudden onset of slurred speech
  • swelling of the eyelids, face, lips, hands, lower legs, or feet
  • swollen, painful or tender lymph glands in the neck, armpit, or groin
  • tightness in the chest
  • unusual bleeding or bruising
  • unusual weight gain or loss
  • use of extreme physical or emotional force
  • watery or bloody diarrhea

I stopped Accutane around 11 years ago. To this day I still have dry eyes and lips. Just have to use lip balm at night which takes care of that.
At the time I did get the depression from it. Became quite withdrawn. Mind you I was on 60 - 80mg for 6 months and for a time it was combined with prednisone. I had severe cystic acne and the Accutane eventually killed it. I still get spots mainly on my shoulders and back but it drastically reduced oiliness too. I only wish I was prescribed it years earlier.
I'd recommend 20mg ed if you do take it. No need for the ridiculous dose i was given.

I stopped Accutane around 11 years ago. To this day I still have dry eyes and lips. Just have to use lip balm at night which takes care of that.
At the time I did get the depression from it. Became quite withdrawn. Mind you I was on 60 - 80mg for 6 months and for a time it was combined with prednisone. I had severe cystic acne and the Accutane eventually killed it. I still get spots mainly on my shoulders and back but it drastically reduced oiliness too. I only wish I was prescribed it years earlier.
I'd recommend 20mg ed if you do take it. No need for the ridiculous dose i was given.
Thanks for the info Bro. I'm gonna try some otc stuff first. It's not terribly bad at the moment but if it gets worse I might give it a shot. Thanks again.

Thanks......

Hi there. I've used it in the past for extended periods of time.I never experienced any sides from this med, and in my opinion is a very weak cystic acne prescription drug (Depends how bad your cystic acne is though). It did nothing for me to say the least. Did the doc perform an Antibiogram susceptibility test before he prescribed this antibiotic?

Dermatologists usually prescribe Minocin and Dalacin as a trial and error run before Accutane here is my country.

More common

I've run Accutane for 9 months @ maximum dose. I had many sides but nothing too serious or life threatening. Also i must say that the psychological sides of this med are over exaggerated. I mean, you feel bad looking like a dried apple and such, but depression and suicide attempts? It lowers ones self esteem quite badly, but no so bad. People which already suffer from psychological problems should stay away from this med though for obvious reasons.

If you decide to go the otc route, try the combination of Clindamycin Phosphate Liquid, Tretinoin and Panoxyl 10% topical treatment. It works wonders.

I use neutrogena back wash right now but looking for something stronger. It's been at least 10 years since I've gotten a script for anything.

Anything worth while over the counter or script wise?

My acne disappears when I for to the beach and get a tan or go in salt water fyi

I use neutrogena back wash right now but looking for something stronger. It's been at least 10 years since I've gotten a script for anything.

Anything worth while over the counter or script wise?

My acne disappears when I for to the beach and get a tan or go in salt water fyi

Just get antibiotics. Rifampin is the best I've tried, but Bactrim-DS, Cipro & clindamycin work amazing.

Many members on here are having good results with a low dose accutane. 20mg a day up to 40mg a day.

I’m doing 40 and it’s fine. Dry lips but I keep chapstick around. Moisturize after you shower and are dried off. I don’t ha crazy anymore acne on my back/shoulders after 2-3 months and it’s staying gone. Works wonders.

Do you only use the Accutane on cycle? From what I've read it take quite a while for it to start working and I seen it gets worse before better? Just curious
Many members on here are having good results with a low dose accutane. 20mg a day up to 40mg a day.

I’m doing 40 and it’s fine. Dry lips but I keep chapstick around. Moisturize after you shower and are dried off. I don’t ha crazy anymore acne on my back/shoulders after 2-3 months and it’s staying gone. Works wonders.

Do you only use the Accutane on cycle? From what I've read it take quite a while for it to start working and I seen it gets worse before better? Just curious
There's a formula
You're supposed to build up x amount per Kg of body weight
So you do low 40mg dose for like a year or so vs a hefty dose for 5 months

Has anyone used a derma roller or derma stamp for acne scars? Just found out about these today, reviews seem good. Comparable to laser treatment and you save $$$$$ a lot!