168 Beats Per Minute

malfeasance

This looks like the right section for this, I think. I am not an endurance sports guy, but as I have gotten older, I have focused more on cardio for health reasons.

I tend to use it progressively, kind of like lifting weights. I pick a machine (lately the escalator stair looking machine, but an elliptical will do) and go at it. I might only do 20 minutes on some low setting at first, but each time after that I extend the time by a minute or three. When I get to 40-45 minutes, I increase the intensity level setting on the machine and cut the time back to maybe 30 minutes, then the next time it is 31, and then . . . well, you get the idea.

I do not do it every day.

I am up to the highest level ever on this stair/escalator thing and just reached 45 minutes.

Here is my concern. I am 57. My beats per minute reached 168 for ten minutes or more toward the end.

Is this a cause for concern?

I feel fine. This is not causing chest pain or anything like that. Some of the "Zone" levels on posters at the gym or online basically say a guy my age should not be letting his heart rate get that high, a "No Go Zone" all in red or something.

Is this dangerous for me?

Like I said, I feel fine. I mean, yeah, perceived exertion, sweat running off like crazy, but I watch a good movie and forget what I am doing until the machine starts slowing it down at the end. I glance at my heart rate a few times while going the cardio.

I have been over 150 bpm pretty reliably for some time now, but today it hit 168 bpm. I know I have been progressively adding cardio time and intensity. Am I doing it wrong? In the effort to protect my health, am I endangering my health?

It is hard to find reliable information about this, so I solicit your input here.

168 bpm at 57 yoa --> Thumbs up or thumbs down?

You are fine. If you said 205, then we might have something to talk about. 168 is actually great for you and your age. Endurance athletes train at the higher bpm regularly. Just make sure it is coming down after you back off or get off the machine.

If you don't feel uncomfortable it's fine.

You are fine. If you said 205, then we might have something to talk about. 168 is actually great for you and your age. Endurance athletes train at the higher bpm regularly. Just make sure it is coming down after you back off or get off the machine.
Whew! Ok, thanks, guys. That makes me feel better. I started out just making sure I had an extended time over 140. As I got into better shape, I started pushing it over 150. That is when I started looking up the heart rate zones and all of that, and it seemed ok for my age. At first, any time over 150 was uncomfortable, but as I kept at it, it became more comfortable.

I have been pushing over 160, up to about 162 or so. Today was the first time at 168, but I added a bunch of minutes at once instead of one minute at at time (LOL). I was shocked to see 168, and it stayed there for a long time, but it did not feel uncomfortable, other than I hate cardio. I did not have that feeling I had when I first started breaking 150 regularly. Honestly felt pretty good to be doing it.

I had to think it is better to push harder if I am not feeling like I am dying or something, but I got a little scared because of all those heart rate charts for my age.

As a bonus, that lying machine now says I am burning over 600 calories in the session.

Just kidding.

I just checked it, and it is down to 83.

Is 83 your rhr?
As for going in the red for a while, as you did, you are good.
Doing anaerobic work is the best thing for your cv system, imo.
And the more regularly you do it, the "easier" it will feel.
Just make sure you don't stop suddenly and hr comes down gradually.

Is 83 your rhr?
As for going in the red for a while, as you did, you are good.
Doing anaerobic work is the best thing for your cv system, imo.
And the more regularly you do it, the "easier" it will feel.
Just make sure you don't stop suddenly and hr comes down gradually.
No, but I have not settled down yet. I just took a quick reading to answer this thread.

+1 that I believe you’re safe as long as heart rate comes down to your standard RHR.
83 is slightly elevated for RHR. Is this where it sits upon waking, or as you go about your day?

I believe those charts are for general population who may not get the same level of exercise. If you are conditioned and able to comfortably handle sustained heart rate, consider yourself in better condition.

assuming that’s not your max h-rate you’re gtg
Just guessing that’s probably about 80% max I would advise not going too much past 10mins if that’s the case

The traditional formula means I was OVER my maximum heart rate.

But that is the 220-age, and not a real test of my maximum heart rate in a lab on a treadmill and all of that, like the video at the end of the link in post # 17.

The traditional formula means I was OVER my maximum heart rate.

But that is the 220-age, and not a real test of my maximum heart rate in a lab on a treadmill and all of that, like the video at the end of the link in post # 17.
You are training your heart just like any other muscle. I used to race mountain bikes for long distances and we would do heart rate zone training, what’s happening is your body is adapting and your heart is getting stronger and more efficient allowing it to beat faster for longer, you’re doing great. Keep it up. The benefits are tremendous, especially for the enhanced athlete. Just like any other muscle, don’t overdo it. Your resting Heart rate will start to creep down, but you might have to take it before your coffee.

Back