26 percent body fat

Siggle

Morning all, I’ve been lurking on this site for a while now and was hoping someone could answer this question for me.

I’m 42 next week and a couple of years ago I embarked on a complete lifestyle turnaround.
At 39 years old I was 20st and nearly 40% body fat. I had zero muscle and couldn’t walk up the stairs without getting out of breath. I knew something had to change so went on the keto diet and dropped 5 stone in about 15 months. Then I started to train.

At first I just did hiit but in January this year I started to lift, and I’m hooked, in fact I love lifting so much it’s replaced my long term cannabis use and I haven’t touched a drop of alcohol since either.

But I’ve noticed that my muscle growth seems to of slowed down considerably now (which I know is to be expected) but I’m still at 26% body fat and want to drop more but also want to keep the little gains I’ve made.

After reading through the posts on this site I don’t think I’m ready for a cycle yet as I’m still to fat, but how low can I take my calories whilst still keeping or improving my strength, is there a limit?

Cheers

That’s what I thought, I initially found this site because I was going to try some anavar but after reading through all the posts I’m nowhere near ready.

I won’t do myself any harm by being in a calorie deficit and still lifting as heavy as I can though will I?

That’s what I thought, I initially found this site because I was going to try some anavar but after reading through all the posts I’m nowhere near ready.

I won’t do myself any harm by being in a calorie deficit and still lifting as heavy as I can though will I?

Stayed heavy 6-7 days a week for close to a year putting down between 8-1000 calories.

Don't go that low, not worth it ling run. Point is, you'll drop some strength but not that much.

Whatever you do lose will come back pretty quickly after turning the intake up again.

Always train hard and stay heavy. Going light for more reps doesn’t do what people think it doesn’t

Thanks, I’m training 5 days per week at the moment mainly compound movements and increasing my weights each week, I’m eating 2200 calories 6 days a week and having a treat on a Sunday so will go to 3000 calories. I have 40% protein 30%carbs and 30% fat. I won’t tell you what weight my lifts are because although I’m proud of them I know it’s nothing compared to you guys but it is still increasing every week!

Thanks for the advice, this site is full of great information and I’m glad I came across it.

Thanks, I’m training 5 days per week at the moment mainly compound movements and increasing my weights each week, I’m eating 2200 calories 6 days a week and having a treat on a Sunday so will go to 3000 calories. I have 40% protein 30%carbs and 30% fat. I won’t tell you what weight my lifts are because although I’m proud of them I know it’s nothing compared to you guys but it is still increasing every week!

Thanks for the advice, this site is full of great information and I’m glad I came across it.

Weight on the bar comes and goes, and everyone starts somewhere.

Even if it's an empty bar.

Nobody worth listening to is going to give you shit for the weight you move. Exception being That Guy that touts a 200lb squat like he's the second coming of Ronnie.

That dipshit get reality checked pretty quick.

What’s surprised me the most is how addictive lifting weights is, I used to have a tray in my kitchen that had a variety of single malt scotches and different rums and gins etc, that tray now holds protein powders , creatine and fish oil!!

Congratulations on the lifestyle change. I’m sure you feel a ton better.

You’re also smart for doing your research. Keep reading and keep losing that weight. It’s a slow steady process. Get below 20% body fat and the cycles will have a much bigger effect.

In the meantime, have bloods drawn and have your testosterone levels checked. As we age, they drop and for some, just getting their testosterone optimized by a doctor makes a big difference. Look into TRT. You might find that your natural levels are totally fine but it’s worth looking into when you’re in your 40s and 50s.

You’re also smart for doing your research. Keep reading and keep losing that weight. It’s a slow steady process. Get below 20% body fat and the cycles will have a much bigger effect.

In the meantime, have bloods drawn and have your testosterone levels checked. As we age, they drop and for some, just getting their testosterone optimized by a doctor makes a big difference. Look into TRT. You might find that your natural levels are totally fine but it’s worth looking into when you’re in your 40s and 50s.

Had my bloods taken last week by the doctor, awaiting results now. Don’t think it’s easy to get trt in the uk but will definitely try!

How low do you think I can go with regards to calories, I’m at 2200 at the moment but I’ve noticed I don’t sleep very well at the moment

Was just about to suggest the test levels. He’s at that age where it’s low and sometimes no matter what you do, that belly fat doesn’t want to leave.

Last edited:
Why quit smoking though? Could help you put down the calories when you're ready to grow. But then again, I'm a lil biased. Lol. Congratulations though and welcome to meso. Lots of great info here.
I’ve quit because I’ve been reading about it affecting hormone levels but I’ve got to be honest I haven’t slept since and I’m wondering if that’s gonna affect my hormone levels even more than vaping!

Had my bloods taken last week by the doctor, awaiting results now. Don’t think it’s easy to get trt in the uk but will definitely try!

How low do you think I can go with regards to calories, I’m at 2200 at the moment but I’ve noticed I don’t sleep very well at the moment
If you’re able to get gear, you’re able to do TRT. Just know your dose of Test will be significantly lower than a cycle.

I’ve quit because I’ve been reading about it affecting hormone levels but I’ve got to be honest I haven’t slept since and I’m wondering if that’s gonna affect my hormone levels even more than vaping!
If you're test comes back low and you're going to be on trt, smoking won't affect too much and could be beneficial for recovery and sleep. But that's just my opinion.

Always train hard and stay heavy. Going light for more reps doesn’t do what people think it doesn’t
I always lifted heavy, especially when I was young. A lot of compound exercises in the 6-8rep range and I kept up with my protein intake. This weight training thing is all about the consistency. I always tried to get an extra rep or a little more weight on at least one set in each workout. Sometimes I wouldnt, but guess what? The following week I would. Get your rest and dont overtrain You'll improve, believe me.... Ot sounds stupid but it is a journey not an overnight thing. Fucking inspirational posters at work got to me! Haha...

Back