Abnormal lipid levels

Roco Bama

I recently did a lipid panel test. I didn’t take any AAS other than TRT for the last 4 months. This is the first time I checked my lipids since high school. last test which was taken back in 2008/2009 was off as well.

0D44C3E9-AA85-4C42-8982-5B096D85D0A6.jpeg

Looks a little off I’d agree. Especially if just cruising on trt. Perhaps some high doses of niacin for a few weeks could help lower that ldl. May or may not help, but it’s worth a shot. What dose you cruise at?

I recently did a lipid panel test. I didn’t take any AAS other than TRT for the last 4 months. This is the first time I checked my lipids since high school. last test which was taken back in 2008/2009 was off as well.

View attachment 100040
You maybe one of the unfortunate individuals that just needs a small dose of a prescribed statin. We age and shit goes down hill. Your overall cholesterol is not terrible but a statin will clean up that LDL which is out of range. HDL is good! Like the members already said, try the niacin and fish oil, better diet etc. If nothing then 10mg of Lipitor will clean it. Been there myself I had some prescribed. I picked up higher strength statin from pharmacist awhile back when I use to blast really hard.

Looks a little off I’d agree. Especially if just cruising on trt. Perhaps some high doses of niacin for a few weeks could help lower that ldl. May or may not help, but it’s worth a shot. What dose you cruise at?
My TRT dose is 150mg a week

I eat healthy most of the time. My main protein source is chicken, fish and Greek yogurt. I rarely eat red meat.
I've had high cholesterol my whole adult life. You have some control with diet and exercise, but it's primarily genetic. I finally went on simvastatin after my level hit 350, this was after working out 5 days a week, having never used steroids, and a very good diet. Went on the statins, never looked back. Now even when I run gear, lipids stay right in range

I've had high cholesterol my whole adult life. You have some control with diet and exercise, but it's primarily genetic. I finally went on simvastatin after my level hit 350, this was after working out 5 days a week, having never used steroids, and a very good diet. Went on the statins, never looked back. Now even when I run gear, lipids stay right in range
That’s good news. I’m planning to add primo to my cruise dose. I’ll ask my primary care a script for Lipitor

With the levels your showing be it’s more genetics than the TRT—it’s higher but not likely at the level where a doc would force feed statins. A few years back I had let myself go, triglycerides, LDL, even fasting glucose had all climbed, with my triG’s and LDL being way too high. By taking plant sterols, citrus bergamot, and fish oil, as well as increasing other natural plant based fats and fiber, both dropped like a rock. My trt doc talked me into taking red rice yeast too and niacin which I take religiously. The niacin really helped to up my HDL. I would try those for a couple months and retest.

Statins have their place for those that need them, but have a whole myriad of sides for some as well.

Just changing my diet to cut out processed foods, and adding the above, my LDL cholesterol now sits around low 70’s even on my Rx’d TRT dose of 300mg week. My HDL isn’t much higher than yours though and triG’s in the low 60’s. Whenever I touch anavar, it see-saws while on, HDL drops to 15 and LDL will creep towards upper 90’s.

With the levels your showing be it’s more genetics than the TRT—it’s higher but not likely at the level where a doc would force feed statins. A few years back I had let myself go, triglycerides, LDL, even fasting glucose had all climbed, with my triG’s and LDL being way too high. By taking plant sterols, citrus bergamot, and fish oil, as well as increasing other natural plant based fats and fiber, both dropped like a rock. My trt doc talked me into taking red rice yeast too and niacin which I take religiously. The niacin really helped to up my HDL. I would try those for a couple months and retest.

Statins have their place for those that need them, but have a whole myriad of sides for some as well.

Just changing my diet to cut out processed foods, and adding the above, my LDL cholesterol now sits around low 70’s even on my Rx’d TRT dose of 300mg week. My HDL isn’t much higher than yours though and triG’s in the low 60’s. Whenever I touch anavar, it see-saws while on, HDL drops to 15 and LDL will creep towards upper 90’s.

Ur doc prescribes u 300 mg a week your lucky ass he'll never heard of a rx bein that high

That’s good news. I’m planning to add primo to my cruise dose. I’ll ask my primary care a script for Lipitor

You shouldn’t have to ask you PC for a script. If he ran those labs then he should prescribe you meds without asking “if” he’s concerned. If he didn’t run those labs have him/her place an order for labs and go from there. Statins aren’t to be taken lightly. Exhaust all of your options (krill oil, cardio, niacin, plant sterols etc...) before going on meds.

You shouldn’t have to ask you PC for a script. If he ran those labs then he should prescribe you meds without asking “if” he’s concerned. If he didn’t run those labs have him/her place an order for labs and go from there. Statins aren’t to be taken lightly. Exhaust all of your options (krill oil, cardio, niacin, plant sterols etc...) before going on meds.
always wonder why people question the use of statins, but have no problem shooting up lots of gear. I've been taking them for 20 years with no problems whatsover. And the other things you've prescribed will only affect levels by maybe 10 percent if you're lucky. Most of you guys are young, and have to realize heart disease sucks

always wonder why people question the use of statins, but have no problem shooting up lots of gear. I've been taking them for 20 years with no problems whatsover. And the other things you've prescribed will only affect levels by maybe 10 percent if you're lucky. Most of you guys are young, and have to realize heart disease sucks

Not knocking you for taking statins and don’t assume I’m young. Obviously from reading your post, you were not running gear and was working out 5 days per week and had a TC of 350. Completely different situation than this guys’.
I stated statins aren’t to be taken lightly and “if” his doctor is concerned with TC 236 or LDL of 174 than he should order the meds.
I’m with you, guys shoot all kinds of shit into their bodies and are afraid of statins, that’s not my point. My point is don’t put unnecessary shit into your body.
Luckily, I responded to some of those things mentioned and it lowered my cholesterol. My doc ordered meds, I didn’t take them, I wanted to see if I could lower it without meds.

Before you take a statin:
  1. Ask your doctor for a carotid artery ultrasound to see how much plaque you have. He'll say everyone has plaque but that isn't true. Press them and find out so you'll know. Lipids tell you very little.
  2. Get a C-reactive protein (CRP) test. Do NOT exercise for a week and don't lift heavy for 2 weeks prior. Also don't have a cold or infection. These will raise CRP since CRP isn't just arterial inflammation.
  3. Find out the truth about side-effects and long term effects of statins - consider writings from this organization Thincs - The International network of cholesterol skeptics. You may enjoy a simple documentary on Amazon called "The Cholesterol Question" ... it doesn't tell you an answer but just some history.
There are four main risk factors for Arteriolosclerosis/Atherosclerosis:
  1. Elevated triglycerides
  2. Elevated glucose
  3. Elevated blood pressure
  4. Low HDL
You don't show problem with #1 or #4 in this test ... but of course having used high dose androgens can change the story as they can inflame blood vessels and change lipids severely. IMO association does not mean causation but it is unwise to ignore lipid marker all together.

What is your glucose?
Blood pressure?
Age?

For what it is worth, I'm mid 50's with cholesterol worse than yours for decades, with doctors hassling me to take statins, but have zero plaque (though never used an androgen) verified by an ultrasound last spring. My wife with 'good' lipid tests but who's family has lots of heart attacks has zero plaque. We attribute it to diet ... but this is just a couple undocumented testimonials. Here is another one: A friend of mine has been on statins for over 30 years and they just amputated his lower leg because his legs are plugged up too badly to fix. He has always been trim and healthy but statins didn't prevent this problem.

In the end it is up to the reader to learn and get meaningful medical tests.

Hope this is helpful

Before you take a statin:
  1. Ask your doctor for a carotid artery ultrasound to see how much plaque you have. He'll say everyone has plaque but that isn't true. Press them and find out so you'll know. Lipids tell you very little.
  2. Get a C-reactive protein (CRP) test. Do NOT exercise for a week and don't lift heavy for 2 weeks prior. Also don't have a cold or infection. These will raise CRP since CRP isn't just arterial inflammation.
  3. Find out the truth about side-effects and long term effects of statins - consider writings from this organization Thincs - The International network of cholesterol skeptics. You may enjoy a simple documentary on Amazon called "The Cholesterol Question" ... it doesn't tell you an answer but just some history.
There are four main risk factors for Arteriolosclerosis/Atherosclerosis:
  1. Elevated triglycerides
  2. Elevated glucose
  3. Elevated blood pressure
  4. Low HDL
You don't show problem with #1 or #4 in this test ... but of course having used high dose androgens can change the story as they can inflame blood vessels and change lipids severely. IMO association does not mean causation but it is unwise to ignore lipid marker all together.

What is your glucose?
Blood pressure?
Age?

For what it is worth, I'm mid 50's with cholesterol worse than yours for decades, with doctors hassling me to take statins, but have zero plaque (though never used an androgen) verified by an ultrasound last spring. My wife with 'good' lipid tests but who's family has lots of heart attacks has zero plaque. We attribute it to diet ... but this is just a couple undocumented testimonials. Here is another one: A friend of mine has been on statins for over 30 years and they just amputated his lower leg because his legs are plugged up too badly to fix. He has always been trim and healthy but statins didn't prevent this problem.

In the end it is up to the reader to learn and get meaningful medical tests.

Hope this is helpful
I'm probably old enough to get that carotid artery ultrasound, have to ask the doc. should be noted that my family also has a history of heart disease. Also, the long term studies are starting to show the benefits

Statins reduce deaths from coronary heart disease by 28 per cent in men, according to longest ever study

I'm probably old enough to get that carotid artery ultrasound, have to ask the doc. should be noted that my family also has a history of heart disease. Also, the long term studies are starting to show the benefits

Statins reduce deaths from coronary heart disease by 28 per cent in men, according to longest ever study

The real benefit from statins is from a slight reduction of vascular inflammation. The method of action has nothing to do with cholesterol. There is only one other med, a cancer med, that they have noted reduces this type of inflammation. If they every develop a med of this action, then they will have a solution ... but we mostly can resolve this by diet and lifestyle.

Now if 28% sounds good, blood-letting reduces heart attack by 88% according to a 9 years study. You don't even need high hematocrit. Just a pint a year keeps the doctor away (forget the apple). Of course there is no money to be made by pharmaceuticals with this treatment ... so why should it be promoted instead of a med?

Donation of blood is associated with reduced risk of myocardial infarction. The Kuopio Ischaemic Heart Disease Risk Factor Study. - PubMed - NCBI

Last edited:
Back