Blood donation for high hematocrit

Night_Owl

Question about blood donations, what if you're not allowed to donate blood?

I went to donate, but didn't know about this rule among others:

You are not eligible to donate if:
From January 1, 1980, through December 31, 1996, you spent (visited or lived) a cumulative time of 3 months or more, in the United Kingdom (UK).

I guess it's related to mad cow disease or some shit.

I know the doctor offers something similar, but I have a feeling it's expensive and my insurance won't cover it.

Are those the only options?

What is your hematocrit at and what are you on? I have noticed hydration would play a part in mine

I'm just on 200mg testosterone TRT right now and I'm already only 1 unit away from having too high hematocrit. I'm drinking water like a camel and it's not helping. It's preventing me from blasting.

Get a prescription for a therapeutic phlebotomy from you doc. He will have to know you are on TRT if that is the case.

Or have a buddy help you drain 500 ml, or do it yourself. I have done it myself it isn't fun but you gotta do what you gotta do. Get some 18g butterflys and some surgical tubing.

you can of course lie. I find it odd they don't screen donated blood for anything they are worried about.

you can of course lie. I find it odd they don't screen donated blood for anything they are worried about.

I mean we are all lying when we take a screening as they have a number of questions around needles and steroids. If you are feeling guilty you might give mad cow or malaria to some innocent person then you can call up after your donation and say you developed a fever and they will throw away your donation.

I’m going to go out on a limb and say it is 100% screened. The vials they take prior to your donation are for testing..

I mean we are all lying when we take a screening as they have a number of questions around needles and steroids. If you are feeling guilty you might give mad cow or malaria to some innocent person then you can call up after your donation and say you developed a fever and they will throw away your donation.

You don’t have to lie at all. I tell them, “I’m here because my trt doc said I should come every two months.” Then when I’m asked the questions about needles I answer truthfully and when they ask about my needle use I remind them that I’m on trt.

You don’t have to lie at all. I tell them, “I’m here because my trt doc said I should come every two months.” Then when I’m asked the questions about needles I answer truthfully and when they ask about my needle use I remind them that I’m on trt.

They don't ask for a prescription? I asked about a therapeutic phlebotomy once and they said I'd need a prescription and to come to their main facility that's an hour away. I just do it myself at home now.

They don't ask for a prescription? I asked about a therapeutic phlebotomy once and they said I'd need a prescription and to come to their main facility that's an hour away. I just do it myself at home now.

No, they haven’t yet. They may be linked in to where they can actually see all my prescriptions though.

No, they haven’t yet. They may be linked in to where they can actually see all my prescriptions though.
Disclosure of medical history is usually a crime. I would be surprised if the Red Cross has access to your records “just incase.”

Disclosure of medical history is usually a crime. I would be surprised if the Red Cross has access to your records “just incase.”

I’m not up to date on the laws of this. I do know that since I got put on trt a few months back that when I called to up my life insurance policy they knew that I was now on trt without me telling them. Also, my family practitioner knew without me telling her as well. So there is definitely a system in place where the info is out there.

I’m not up to date on the laws of this. I do know that since I got put on trt a few months back that when I called to up my life insurance policy they knew that I was now on trt without me telling them. Also, my family practitioner knew without me telling her as well. So there is definitely a system in place where the info is out there.
For actual doctors yes, for sure. That infos shared. Actually helps with patient safety not crossing drugs that react adversely and such. But I don’t think the Red Cross has that...could be wrong. It would def surprise me.

They test the blood for various COMMON diseases that are life threatening. Do you know how expensive the testing would be if they checked for EVERYTHING?
They don't so if you have crap in your blood just call in and have them toss it. Say you got a cold.

I’m not on TRT so I’ve got no outs.

The range of hematocrit used by centers for eligibility to donate are often broader than human norm range and by some margin. I think the ones by me go to 55 when human norm cutoff is 51. Doctor script will also do it at any level but you should be fine. Go double red and crush it down.

I do it myself as needed but used to be there all the time.

I do it myself as needed but used to be there all the time.
How do you do it? I did it myself twice but honestly I don't have a comfortable chair or seating. That is the biggest problem, and then you gotta take the tubing to the needle and into a bottle or something. Too much of a hassle for me. Interested to hear your set up.

Some guys make a mess in the shower.

How do you do it? I did it myself twice but honestly I don't have a comfortable chair or seating. That is the biggest problem, and then you gotta take the tubing to the needle and into a bottle or something. Too much of a hassle for me. Interested to hear your set up.

Some guys make a mess in the shower.

Link to thread here where I wrote some stuff and copy below from another forum. Self phlebotomy

A. 5/32" OD polyurethane tubing, preferably clear.
B. 18 gauge x 1.5" needle
C. BP cuff
D. 16 oz clear water bottle
E. first aid tape (I use electric tape)
F. gauze wrap

1. cut polyurethane tubing to about 4 feet long.
2. insert one end of tubing into the needle luer lock opening (should press fit), then wrap with tape to insure tubing stays in.
3. poke two small holes in the water bottle cap, make sure they are smaller than the tubing so the tube press fits in. (I just tape tubing into bottle and do it sitting on edge of bathtub so if it spills....contained and cleanable)
4. press the other end of the tube into one of the holes and secure with tape if needed, and leave the other hole open.
5. put the cuff on but do not pump.
6. find the vein and clean the are with alcohol few times.
7. get a large cotton ball ready for after pulling the needle out.
8. pump the cuff until you can feel the vein then with a quick move stick the needle in at a very shallow angle. remember the vein is only skin deep, so make sure you go in with very shallow angle. you should see blood shoot though the tubing and into the bottle. if blood slows down simply squeeze your fist every few seconds, if still slow you can increase the cuff pressure as needed.

IMPORTANT!
when pulling out the needle make sure the cuff is completely deflated, otherwise you'll bleed allover the place
smile.gif

9. when finished deflate the cuff completely and pull the needle out, then immediately place a large cotton ball on the area and press firmly, rise your hand for about a minute or so then check and see if the bleeding stopped. add a new cotton ball then wrap with gauze for about 3 hours or so. this part is much easier if someone else does it for you.