Convection oven for sterilizing

• Thread starter Deleted member 127229
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 127229

So the difference between an oven and convection oven is a convection oven uses a fan to more accurately disperse heat.

I use my regular oven for cooking. I always thought that was a bit un sterile so I bought a large countertop convection oven (toaster oven) for 100 dollars to sterilize my glassware after I wash it and rinse with ISO and distilled water.

If this convection oven is ONLY used for sterilizing glassware, the fan blowing heat shouldn't be an issue right? My thoughts are if I used it for food AND sterilizing...it would blow crumbs ect into my clean glassware.

Does anyone else use a convection (toaster) oven?

What do you use?

regular dry heat sterilisers do not use a fan, at least the models I have seen there may be a reson for that....
first thing that comes to mind is the glassware closest to the fan will get hotter than the rest
and the fan might still stir up particles of dust and might therefore contaminate the glassware...

Temperature is what sterilizes. so air moving or not seems irrelevant to me as long as the correct temp is held for the right amount of time.

In order to use a convection oven for sterilizon you should have a HEPA filter installed in the air intake.

So the difference between an oven and convection oven is a convection oven uses a fan to more accurately disperse heat.

I use my regular oven for cooking. I always thought that was a bit un sterile so I bought a large countertop convection oven (toaster oven) for 100 dollars to sterilize my glassware after I wash it and rinse with ISO and distilled water.

If this convection oven is ONLY used for sterilizing glassware, the fan blowing heat shouldn't be an issue right? My thoughts are if I used it for food AND sterilizing...it would blow crumbs ect into my clean glassware.

Does anyone else use a convection (toaster) oven?

What do you use?
Or maybe cover anything with aluminum foil that has an opening