Death

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sworder, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Sworder

Sworder Member

I didn't quite get this when it was originally posted (7 years ago) for whatever reason. I guess sometimes I read the words and do not appreciate the meaning. But I totally agree. We live life ass-backwards.

So much struggle and stress only to come back to Square 1.

So, maybe we should live more "simple" however, if we lived "simple" in the first place would we have gotten to this point of "enlightenment" if we didn't question things.
    I think not, even that is counter-intuitive.

To clarify what I mean. It requires a lot of complex thinking to get to a point of simplicity.

2. Sworder

Sworder Member

Let's get at it.
    I want to get familiar with coping strategies in regards to losing loved ones.

How do you guys cope with family members dying?

Are funerals even a good thing?

Do funerals make healing and grieving harder or easier?

My Grandma died in Sweden and I haven't been back. It seems unreal to me in a kind of good way. I haven't grasped her death yet and probably won't unless I go back home and visit her grave, experience the lack of her presence et cetera.

I read a study about it and was going to dig up some more.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Therapeutic Aspects of Funeral Ritual
    https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1300/j085V04N04_04

This one was more about comparing different processions however it was a good quick read.

Shifts in Ritual Response to Loss due to Death: An Assessment of Funeral Service Mourning Trends over Time
    http://dc.etsu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=3997&context=etd

3. Uglyrichie

Uglyrichie Member

thanks for posting that it truly makes sense I think I need to take a hard look at my life. Thank you

Sworder likes this.
  4. $BlackBeard

$BlackBeard Member AnabolicLab.com Supporter

This does not apply to death as much as it does to life. If you have not listened to James Tour, give this video a couple minutes of your time. I'm sympathetic as he is also an organic chemist.

James Tour: The Mystery of the Origin of Life

Sworder likes this.
  5. Sworder

Sworder Member

RIP Malcolm James McCormick.
    A young kid killed by his inner demons.

6. Sworder

Sworder Member

Life and death, two sides of the same coin.

EazyE likes this.
  7. $BlackBeard

Learn to be happy for the time you had with that person rather than the time you will not spend together.

Probably, they have been part of many cultures for thousands of years and even cited in certain wild animal species. This enduring quality suggests that it must be beneficial.

Probably a case-dependent situation here. But, the fact that they are a common occurrence at death means they are probably a net positive. If nothing, it should remind all in attendance of their own mortality's.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
    Sworder likes this.
  8. EazyE

EazyE Member

The moment you are born is also the moment you begin to die.

Sworder likes this.
  9. johntt44

johntt44 Member

My grandmother is driving me to school, looks over at Riverbend Cemetery and says" Its a popular place.People are dying to get in there!"

10. Sworder

Sworder Member

So... What's your opinion on this matter?:)

What type of work do you do?

11. $BlackBeard

It’s tough coming from a science/finance background. I understand how difficult it is to get the correct combinations of amino acids working in concert to create something we call life. Billions of years is not enough time for all these combinations to have been tried. So, ‘something’ intervened or sped up the process to give way to life as we know it today. Obviously, I can’t say what that something. God? Possibly. A higher order being? Possibly.

There are many things that we will never come to understand. Maybe in an afterlife.