Dogs

View: https://twitter.com/NewsfromScience/status/1372557161658781697?s=20

Few scientific mysteries can be solved with the help of nearly 400 adorably naughty puppies, but a new study is a pleasant exception. Researchers have used the furballs to show dogs’ ability to understand human pointing—a rarity in the animal kingdom and key to social intelligence—appears to be hardwired in doggy DNA.

“Using puppies to answer this question is a great approach,” says Heidi Parker, a geneticist at the U.S. National Institutes of Health’s Dog Genome Project who was not involved with the work. “Behavior is the holy grail of dog genetics,” she says. Before scientists go searching for genes that may have turned dogs into our faithful companions, they need to make sure they’re there in the first place, she says. “I feel like this study shows that.”

Scientists have known for more than 2 decades that dogs understand the logic behind a surprisingly complex gesture: When we point at something, we want them to look at it. That insight eludes even our closest relatives, chimpanzees, and helps our canine companions bond with us. But it’s been unclear whether pooches acquire this ability simply by hanging out with us, or it’s encoded in their genes. “It’s the one piece of the puzzle we don’t have evidence for,” says Evan MacLean, director of the Arizona Canine Cognition Center at the University of Arizona.

Enter puppies. If social intelligence is genetic, dogs should display it at a very young age. And there shouldn’t be any learning required.

That’s what MacLean and his colleagues found. … Early-Emerging and Highly-Heritable Sensitivity to Human Communication in Dogs

Is their anyone on the forum that has or that has had a dog with epilepsy? Our 1 year old American Bulldog has had two in the last week and it's really difficult to watch him go through it.

We have a prescription for keppra with is an anti convulsant but we started him with some cbd oil first (it won't hurt to try) to see if they reduce or go away completely based on some of the things I have read.

Will suck to have to start him on meds since they can come with alot of side effects and he would need to be on the forever.

Any suggestions or experience would help!

Is their anyone on the forum that has or that has had a dog with epilepsy? Our 1 year old American Bulldog has had two in the last week and it's really difficult to watch him go through it.

We have a prescription for keppra with is an anti convulsant but we started him with some cbd oil first (it won't hurt to try) to see if they reduce or go away completely based on some of the things I have read.

Will suck to have to start him on meds since they can come with alot of side effects and he would need to be on the forever.

Any suggestions or experience would help!
Look after him well. Poor guy. You will find the right solution to keep him healthy!

Hope he's doing better!
Thank you

He is finally adjusting to the medication and it seems to be helping decrease the amount of seizures and the severity of them. At least we can find some relief in knowing he is ridiculously spoiled haha

Thank you

He is finally adjusting to the medication and it seems to be helping decrease the amount of seizures and the severity of them. At least we can find some relief in knowing he is ridiculously spoiled haha
I'm sure everything will be fine. I don't even consider another scenario)

Thank you

the main thing is that it benefits the doggie). and it's good that his health is better

My 2yr old German Shepherd has had diarrhea for weeks now, and she has lost a bunch of weight.. After repeated visits to the vet, it's looking like it may be a condition called EPI.. which, although I've never heard of it before, is apparently more common with this breed than any other.

Has anyone else had any experience with this condition?

Any input would be appreciated as I could certainly use some insight..

Damn, no experience with a specific disease, like your dog. But damn it, I wish him to recover faster and enjoy life and the owner
My 2yr old German Shepherd has had diarrhea for weeks now, and she has lost a bunch of weight.. After repeated visits to the vet, it's looking like it may be a condition called EPI.. which, although I've never heard of it before, is apparently more common with this breed than any other.

Has anyone else had any experience with this condition?

Any input would be appreciated as I could certainly use some insight..