How does esters behave when not injected?

Explore

I found a thread where someone tried to make transdermal testosterone propionate, to increase the half life of the transdermal route. The problem was that the ester didn’t enter the blood stream, but was cleved in the skin turning it into straight testosterone base. Here’s the source: Skin Permeation of Testosterone and its Ester Derivatives in Rats

I know that testosterone undecanoate is used for oral delivery under the brand name Jatenzo. Despite that undecanoate have a very long half life when injected, Jatenzos half life is just as short as transdermal test. So esters behave very differently depending on the delivering route. This made me wounder if testosterone propionate, or any other ester, could be used sublingually or intranasally or will it be rapidly converted to testosterone base through the mucous membrane?

I found a thread where someone tried to make transdermal testosterone propionate, to increase the half life of the transdermal route. The problem was that the ester didn’t enter the blood stream, but was cleved in the skin turning it into straight testosterone base. Here’s the source: Skin Permeation of Testosterone and its Ester Derivatives in Rats

I know that testosterone undecanoate is used for oral delivery under the brand name Jatenzo. Despite that undecanoate have a very long half life when injected, Jatenzos half life is just as short as transdermal test. So esters behave very differently depending on the delivering route. This made me wounder if testosterone propionate, or any other ester, could be used sublingually or intranasally or will it be rapidly converted to testosterone base through the mucous membrane?
I think anything more tham acetate and that's stretching it, cant be absorbed either sublingualy or intranasally without the help of a carrier like cyclodextrins.

I am maybe wrong though

I think anything more tham acetate and that's stretching it, cant be absorbed either sublingualy or intranasally without the help of a carrier like cyclodextrins.

I am maybe wrong though
Looking at the study in my source, it seem that testosterone esters can be absorbed through the skin via an ethanol solution. Atleast propionate is mentioned, or am I reading the study wrong? If an ester is able to be absorbed through the skin, my assumption is that it should be able to be absorbed through the mucous membrane even easier, but I might be wrong.

Last edited:

Both the study I originally posted that you quoted and the Jatenzo pharmacokinetic charts tell you that esters are neither absorbed transdermally or orally.

What makes you think a miracle will happen with any other ester unless injected ?

Both the study I originally posted that you quoted and the Jatenzo pharmacokinetic charts tell you that esters are neither absorbed transdermally or orally.

What makes you think a miracle will happen with any other ester unless injected ?
What if you boof it?

simply the molecular weight of undecanoate being greater than propionate, where the weight of the molecule interferes with transdermal absorption

Sponsors

Latest posts