My proof of concept for vaccume filtering

You can sterilize the gl45 glassware and silicone stoper, converting the gl45 receiver as a giant sterile vial. Use a long ass needle to transfer the filtered gear to smaller presterilized vials.
fucking hell, i am so embarassed. I spent days and days looking to find this exact thing but the only stoppers i could find were from a pharma company, ill link pic below.
Thanks so much Narta you are a gentleman and a scholar.
Would you mind linking the bottle top filters you use? Also what kind of needle do you use to draw from the bottom of big ass GL45 bottles :p

1725615756085.png

fucking hell, i am so embarassed. I spent days and days looking to find this exact thing but the only stoppers i could find were from a pharma company, ill link pic below.
Thanks so much Narta you are a gentleman and a scholar.
Would you mind linking the bottle top filters you use? Also what kind of needle do you use to draw from the bottom of big ass GL45 bottles :p

View attachment 294758
I don't use bottletops but anything reputable that has a gl45 neck would do. Opt for PTFE hydrophilic with PVDF being a second option. .22microns

As for needles you don't need long ones, just think that the gl45 with the septa is a big ass vial, so just flip and draw :D

There are long needles but usually they need sterilization between each batch and it's a pita. Search for 100mm dispensing needles

Last edited:

You can sterilize the gl45 glassware and silicone stoper, converting the gl45 receiver as a giant sterile vial. Use a long ass needle to transfer the filtered gear to smaller presterilized vials.
I can get it all pre sterilized here in Germany right from the manufacturer. But to my understanding if I take the bottle top filter off the glass bottle and put the pre sterilized silicone stopper on it there is a small risk of contamination by not using a flow hood, right? Like some unfiltered air is going in during the 2-3 seconds of changing the bottle top filter to a silicone stopper.

Thats the actual reason I am still using vials and syringe filters as I have no place to hide a flow hood this size anywhere, my son will find it and I honestly can not tell if its a risk or not to do it without a flow hood.

I can get it all pre sterilized here in Germany right from the manufacturer. But to my understanding if I take the bottle top filter off the glass bottle and put the pre sterilized silicone stopper on it there is a small risk of contamination by not using a flow hood, right? Like some unfiltered air is going in during the 2-3 seconds of changing the bottle top filter to a silicone stopper.

Thats the actual reason I am still using vials and syringe filters as I have no place to hide a flow hood this size anywhere, my son will find it and I honestly can not tell if its a risk or not to do it without a flow hood.
I am happy enough to take the chance of a tiny bit of unsterile air getting into the bottle tbh.
You could always mist the air around the bottle top with isopropal alcohol a few seconds before opening for peace of mind?

I don't use bottletops but anything reputable that has a gl45 neck would do. Opt for PTFE hydrophilic with PVDF being a second option. .22microns

As for needles you don't need long ones, just think that the gl45 with the septa is a big ass vial, so just flip and draw :D

There are long needles but usually they need sterilization between each batch and it's a pita. Search for 100mm dispensing needles
What kind of filter do you use Narta if you dont mind me asking? I have seen some glass ones that use disposable filters, would you reccomend one of them? Seems like they would be much more economical in the long term compared to single use bottle tops.
I have seen glass ones that need to be clamped on to the bottle, do you think one of them would work with a threaded GL45 bottle?

Like some unfiltered air is going in during the 2-3 seconds of changing the bottle top filter to a silicone stopper.
There is virtually no danger if you don't have air circulating, sneeze, fart or spit on dat thang.

Last edited:
What kind of filter do you use Narta if you dont mind me asking?
I use syringe filters my volume per batch rarely exceeds 200ml for mutiple raws
I have seen some glass ones that use disposable filters, would you reccomend one of them?
No the sand core ones are a pita to clean and sterilize properly
I have seen glass ones that need to be clamped on to the bottle, do you think one of them would work with a threaded GL45 bottle?
There are apparatuses that can adapt for gl45 bottles search on AliExpress for Joanlab

I use syringe filters my volume per batch rarely exceeds 200ml for mutiple raws

No the sand core ones are a pita to clean and sterilize properly

There are apparatuses that can adapt for gl45 bottles search on AliExpress for Joanlab
I found the one below, it seems suitable to what i am thinking. it uses disposable filters.
Do you think it would be a pain to clean this also?
I dont have experience cleaning glassware to get it from oil covered to sterile again, is there much to it?

1725638173995.png

Hand rinse with soap>dishwasher>ISO wash>pressure cooker
I dont even do all that myself
I like using gl45 media bottles with a vacuum buchner filter attachment as soon it's done I just hand swap to a sterilized gl45 septa cap. I also use sterile borosilicate glass syringes to measure out my 10ml volumes into vials if I break it down further. If it's just for personal use you can literally just use the oil straight out of the GL45 media bottle lol

Hand rinse with soap>dishwasher>ISO wash>pressure cooker
I dont even do all that myself
I like using gl45 media bottles with a vacuum buchner filter attachment as soon it's done I just hand swap to a sterilized gl45 septa cap. I also use sterile borosilicate glass syringes to measure out my 10ml volumes into vials if I break it down further. If it's just for personal use you can literally just use the oil straight out of the GL45 media bottle lol
Could you please link the vacuum buchner filter attachment that you use?
instead of pressure cooker could i sterilise after washing in the oven?

There's literally a million dude just Google "gl45 vacuum filter" and pick something that you can easily source .22 micron filter membranes for. If you wanna dabble in this hobby you're gonna have to expend the time to research properly and pick a setup you're comfortable with. Make sure it's autoclavable, and not a fritted one. Fritted filters are designed for powderized filter cakes using celite not filter papers.

Just get pressure cooker they're like 40 bucks and dedicate it to your glassware only don't cook food in it