Nolvadex for Low SHBG

James23

10+ Year Member
The effect of tamoxifen on sex ho... [J Pediatr Endocrinol Metab. 2004] - PubMed - NCBI

Can someone get the text of this study?

For the 20 or so of us here (many now lurkers) that have lost libido and fail to respond to TRT due to SHBG that will not increase to match the exogenous testosterone -- Nolvadex could be a solution.

Has any one here had experience with Nolvadex? How much of an SHBG increase did you see, and how much Nolvadex did you take?

The effect of tamoxifen on sex ho... [J Pediatr Endocrinol Metab. 2004] - PubMed - NCBI

For the 20 or so of us here (many now lurkers) that have lost libido and fail to respond to TRT due to SHBG that will not increase to match the exogenous testosterone -- Nolvadex could be a solution.

Has any one here had experience with Nolvadex? How much of an SHBG increase did you see, and how much Nolvadex did you take?

A more relevant study: https://thinksteroids.com/community/posts/721258

Results: Tamoxifen, but not raloxifene, significantly reduced IGF-I levels by 25 {+/-} 6% (P < 0.01) and increased SHBG levels by 20 {+/-} 7% (P < 0.05) at the higher therapeutic dose.

I tried nolvadex for about three weeks and didnt see any improvements over my previous state of health. No erections, morning wood, libido.... But that was just me who knows it may work for you.

I'm a man with low SHBG (about 14 - 15) and Nolva/Clomid bring my libido back. But with hard trial and error story. It's not easy to find sweet spot - small doses doesn't work and to much flood body with estrogen and this kills libido again..
But yes - before SERMs and AIs my life was damned and now is pretty cool. I must care much about my diet, hormones, drugs and lifestyle, but in the end I feel that I'm alive.
(Thanks to this forum and Scally MD :))

I'm a man with low SHBG (about 14 - 15) and Nolva/Clomid bring my libido back. But with hard trial and error story. It's not easy to find sweet spot - small doses doesn't work and to much flood body with estrogen and this kills libido again..
But yes - before SERMs and AIs my life was damned and now is pretty cool. I must care much about my diet, hormones, drugs and lifestyle, but in the end I feel that I'm alive.

What's this protocol that works for you, then?

What's this protocol that works for you, then? I thought Dr. Scally didn't believe in the importance of the primary androgen availability modulating protein?

What's this protocol that works for you, then? I thought Dr. Scally didn't believe in the importance of the primary androgen availability modulating protein?

It's starts back in 2010 - I tried SERMs PCT protocol from Dr. Scally: i.e. Steroids with Michael Scally, M.D. #1 - Clomid, Nolvadex, hCG, PCT and HPTA Normalization because nothing else worked for me. I tried HCG, bromocritine and TT gels / injections before. In mean time I have seen thread about low SHBG and TRT - that explained me much...

Now my protocol is 1/2 of a pill of Clomid or Nolva (in worse case Arimidex - 1/4 of pill) if i feel i need this (usually once a week or once in 10 days). I just learned to listen to my body..

I enhance my diet with extra vit D3 + Magnesium, Royal Jelly, and some multi that contains Resveratrol (natural, weak serm), Ginger etc. (CL OrangeTriad). I'm pretty sure those things stabilize and increase my T levels between times of Clomid/N/AI doses

Royal Jelly rejuvenates pituitary: animal study
Resveratrol is an anti-oestrogen
Ginger - prostate cancer inhibitor
More magnesium means more testosterone and IGF-1

Last edited:

Is SHBG to be considered low at 15nmol/l? Young people don't have more than 20-25 anyway.

It's starts back in 2010 - I tried SERMs PCT protocol from Dr. Scally: i.e. Steroids with Michael Scally, M.D. #1 - Clomid, Nolvadex, hCG, PCT and HPTA Normalization because nothing else worked for me. I tried HCG, bromocritine and TT gels / injections before. In mean time I have seen thread about low SHBG and TRT - that explained me much...

Now my protocol is 1/2 of a pill of Clomid or Nolva (in worse case Arimidex - 1/4 of pill) if i feel i need this (usually once a week or once in 10 days). I just learned to listen to my body..

I enhance my diet with extra vit D3 + Magnesium, Royal Jelly, and some multi that contains Resveratrol (natural, weak serm), Ginger etc. (CL OrangeTriad). I'm pretty sure those things stabilize and increase my T levels between times of Clomid/N/AI doses

Royal Jelly rejuvenates pituitary: animal study
Resveratrol is an anti-oestrogen
Ginger - prostate cancer inhibitor
More magnesium means more testosterone and IGF-1

I already take royal jelly, resveratrol, blend ginger in green shakes, D3, and take magnesium.

What is your TT, SHBG and E2 on your dose of Nolvadex every 10 days? What is the dosage you are using for Nolvadex? Is it a 5, 10, or 20 mg pill?

I already take royal jelly, resveratrol, blend ginger in green shakes, D3, and take magnesium.

What is your TT, SHBG and E2 on your dose of Nolvadex every 10 days? What is the dosage you are using for Nolvadex? Is it a 5, 10, or 20 mg pill?

Nolva: 1/2 of 20 mg pills
Clomid: 1/2 of 50 mg pills

I will have my current blood results next+ week.

I forgot to mention my supplements for Liver support - I feels better after...
(Liver is important for estrogens metabolism and SHBG production)

Nolva: 1/2 of 20 mg pills
Clomid: 1/2 of 50 mg pills

I will have my current blood results next+ week.

I forgot to mention my supplements for Liver support - I feels better after...
(Liver is important for estrogens metabolism and SHBG production)

It is really every 10 days, though? I'm confused, because I thought these drugs had to build to higher levels to affect androgens (except clomid.)

How long did it take you to feel results? I took half of a Nolvadex pill and I still feel like shit.

It is really every 10 days, though? I'm confused, because I thought these drugs had to build to higher levels to affect androgens (except clomid.)

How long did it take you to feel results? I took half of a Nolvadex pill and I still feel like shit.

Now I use SERMs every 7-10 days as maintenance dose. But yes, I started with much higher dosage to "build to higher levels to affect androgens".
(See: https://thinksteroids.com/community/threads/134295091 )

James,

I also have low SHBG. Did you ever try Novaldex to increase your SHBG?

Also what is the explanation for men with low SHBG not responding to TRT??

My SHGB = 20 or 22, I thought I read that having a low reading is a good thing? not so?

if your SHBG is low---- what are the symptoms?

James,

I also have low SHBG. Did you ever try Novaldex to increase your SHBG?

Also what is the explanation for men with low SHBG not responding to TRT??

I tried Nolvadex very sporadically, but I never was able to determine if it was responsible for an SHBG boost or not. I never had blood work done.

SHBG is multi-functional. As a binding protein, it is normally expressed to balance the free androgen/estrogen ratios and to keep testosterone safe from excretion. It also acts as a transmitter that excites the androgen receptor, and also completes androgen binding in many tissues, meaning T-alone will not signal that cell without SHBG present in the blood.

If your body can't express SHBG to match a particular testosterone concentration, then the body completely loses control of conversion to estrogen, the ratio of free estrogen and the rate of excretion via urine.

To make things worse, the T signal available to selected tissues will only be as high as what the the low SHBG supports.

I tried Nolvadex very sporadically, but I never was able to determine if it was responsible for an SHBG boost or not. I never had blood work done.

SHBG is multi-functional. As a binding protein, it is normally expressed to balance the free androgen/estrogen ratios and to keep testosterone safe from excretion. It also acts as a transmitter that excites the androgen receptor, and also completes androgen binding in many tissues, meaning T-alone will not signal that cell without SHBG present in the blood.

If your body can't express SHBG to match a particular testosterone concentration, then the body completely loses control of conversion to estrogen, the ratio of free estrogen and the rate of excretion via urine.

To make things worse, the T signal available to selected tissues will only be as high as what the the low SHBG supports.

So in laymens terms... if you have SHBG you are fucked :confused:

I am having a horrendous time on injections and i recently realized i have low SHBG.

So in laymens terms... if you have SHBG you are fucked :confused:

I am having a horrendous time on injections and i recently realized i have low SHBG.

Before you consider low SHBG, just be sure you have low SHBG in both cases -- on T and off T. The body will lower SHBG if TT gets too high in order to speed the T out of the system.

Do small injections work... yes, allegedly... not in my own experience, but those who have lower SHBG report success with multiple shots per week.

Last edited:
Back