Oakley's Diet and Training Log

Oakley6575

Male (Have to specify these days)
33yo
5’-9”

Hey guys, excited to be here. I'll update this very boring log daily with my weight, diet, and training. Just started my first bulk 8 weeks ago so I hope to grow well since I've been in a deficit for the last few years on and off.

End Goal:
220lbs @ 8% bf. I was 221lbs at my fattest with zero muscle mass so getting back to that number lean as fuck would be a huge accomplishment for me.

Diet:
I've tried every diet under the sun. It took a lot of trial and error before I found what I like and what really works well for me. I follow Justin Harris's carb cycling approach with some influence from Skip Hill. Justin runs "High" days which are very high carb, and zero added fats once a week while dieting with a cheat meal as your last meal. In an offseason approach, he runs two of these high days for his guys. I follow this model but instead of a cheat meal, I do more of a Skipload. I have about a 5 hour window at the end of my high day where I load up on calories. Pretty much eat what I'm craving and I don't hold back. This approach has worked well for me to get lean, and also has been working well during my short bulk. I'm sure I'll tweak my approach further as time goes on but this is my basic diet approach.

Training:
Again, I've tried everything under the sun here. I've come to the conclusion that training to failure or right before is definitely the most effective. I train every body part once a week, two sets to failure, and I train four days a week. Pretty much run Dorians split but I do two sets to failure since I don't think I can generate the intensity he did in his prime.

Here is where I started, and where I am now. Ignore the rash in my current pics. Not sure where it came from but it's pretty much cleared up now.

Starting.jpg

Front-Relaxed-5-6.jpg

Front-Double-5-6.jpg

Rear-Double-5-6.jpg

Goddamn, impressive and inspirational sir!

How long did it take you to get there? How did you adjust your diet and training along the way, during stalls and plateaus.

Goddamn, impressive and inspirational sir!

How long did it take you to get there? How did you adjust your diet and training along the way, during stalls and plateaus.
Thank you sir!

I started trying to loose weight a few years back. It has been a long long journey for me since I didn't know shit about nutrition or dieting. I initially went from 221lbs to 173lbs in about a year but was skinny fat. Looked like shit. I yo yo'd back up to 210lbs and then back down three or four times. I finally got serious about it November 2022 and started training and eating like a bodybuilder. I went from 200lbs to 162lbs from November to April. I continued to train but diet wasn't very consistent until November of 2023. Thats when I really stripped the fat off and finally ended my ever long journey to being lean this March.

If I could do it all over again, it would be completely different but I really like diet breaks for guys who need to loose a substantial amount of fat.

Started my first gaining phase March 11th so I'm about 8-9 weeks into it. If I do it smart, I'm hoping to be in this growth phase for a year plus. But we'll see.

Thank you sir!

I started trying to loose weight a few years back. It has been a long long journey for me since I didn't know shit about nutrition or dieting. I initially went from 221lbs to 173lbs in about a year but was skinny fat. Looked like shit. I yo yo'd back up to 210lbs and then back down three or four times. I finally got serious about it November 2022 and started training and eating like a bodybuilder. I went from 200lbs to 162lbs from November to April. I continued to train but diet wasn't very consistent until November of 2023. Thats when I really stripped the fat off and finally ended my ever long journey to being lean this March.

If I could do it all over again, it would be completely different but I really like diet breaks for guys who need to loose a substantial amount of fat.

Started my first gaining phase March 11th so I'm about 8-9 weeks into it. If I do it smart, I'm hoping to be in this growth phase for a year plus. But we'll see.
Looks like the journey is going well and the results manifest your method works for you.

Thanks for sharing your experience and we are looking to pick up whatever we can from your log, good luck brother.

Morning Weight: 184.0lbs

Medium Day

3,793cal.
285g P
563g C
44g F (16g Added Fats)

Took all added fats out of my diet except for two whole eggs in my last meal on Medium and Low days, and 6g of fish oil daily (3g DHA and 1.5g EPA). I moved all those calories to carbs and upped daily average calories since my weight was down a lb on average all week. We will see how this effects me.

Legs
Set #1
Reps
Set #2
Reps
Calf Raises
140lbs​
12​
140lbs​
10​
Lying Leg Curls
85lbs​
13​
85lbs​
9​
RDL
210lbs​
12​
210lbs​
11​
Leg Extensions
190lbs​
12​
190lbs​
9​
Leg Press
480lbs​
12​
480lbs​
10​
Hack Squat
230lbs​
10​
-​
-​

Morning Weight: 184.6lbs

High Day

3,946cal.
194g P
751g C
18g F (6g Added Fats)

Shoulders & Triceps
Set #1
Reps
Set #2
Reps
Seated Overhead Press
150lbs​
12​
150lbs​
8​
Seated DB Lateral Raises
27.5lbs​
14​
27.5lbs​
11​
Cable Lateral Raises
10lbs​
17​
10lbs​
15​
BB Shrugs
265lbs​
15​
265lbs​
14​
Tricep Rope Pushdowns
40lbs​
15​
40lbs​
11​
EZ Bar Tricep Extensions
65lbs​
14​
65lbs​
12​
Single Arm Cable Pulldowns
2.5lbs​
14​
2.5lbs​
13​

Impressive transformation, well done! Carb cycle with skipload sounds so damn awesome. I'm doing something similar while on deficit now, 5 low, 1 med and 1 low + one cheat of 2500cals. I can't wait to try an actual carb cycle for the off season. I used to think it's way more cumbersome than eating 7 days the same but it actually has fun and keep your metabolism rolling better than eating the same 7/7. Do you count trace amounts of fat and protein or only direct sources? I prefer to count everything.
How about gear? What did you use/using now?

Impressive transformation, well done! Carb cycle with skipload sounds so damn awesome. I'm doing something similar while on deficit now, 5 low, 1 med and 1 low + one cheat of 2500cals. I can't wait to try an actual carb cycle for the off season. I used to think it's way more cumbersome than eating 7 days the same but it actually has fun and keep your metabolism rolling better than eating the same 7/7. Do you count trace amounts of fat and protein or only direct sources? I prefer to count everything.
How about gear? What did you use/using now?
Thanks bud.

I pulled the "skipload" from the diet. I did it all through my cutting phases and had great results from it but it's just a different story in a gaining phase. You are already in a surplus, so the extra food really only made me feel like shit for two to three days. I feel like it has held me back over the last 8-9 weeks since being in a surplus. I'm taking all those calories I would eat during that loading window and spreading them throughout the week using clean food. I think this will allow me to build more muscle during this push. This is the first week without the load so we will see how it goes.

I count everything but I make sure to hit a specific complete protein number. Most carb sources have protein in them but they aren't complete so I either pair it with a food that completes the amino acid profile so I can count it toward my complete protein number, or it doesn't get counted. And I'm big on counting all fat but right now the only "added" fat in the diet is two whole eggs on my medium and low days, and 6g of high DHA fish oil on all days.

There are the end of my dieting phase, I got gear up to 600mg of test. most of the time I was either on trt or a combo of test and mast. Now that I'm finally in an off season setting, I have it turned way up. Way more than I've ever taken. I'm not sure if it is doing much for me, but we will see over the next few months if I change much. Right now I'm on 1g test, 300mg primo, and 300 npp.

Thanks bud.

I pulled the "skipload" from the diet. I did it all through my cutting phases and had great results from it but it's just a different story in a gaining phase. You are already in a surplus, so the extra food really only made me feel like shit for two to three days. I feel like it has held me back over the last 8-9 weeks since being in a surplus. I'm taking all those calories I would eat during that loading window and spreading them throughout the week using clean food. I think this will allow me to build more muscle during this push. This is the first week without the load so we will see how it goes.

Yeah, that makes sense. Although when this time comes for me in October i will still keep one free meal per week, just for the sanity.

I count everything but I make sure to hit a specific complete protein number. Most carb sources have protein in them but they aren't complete so I either pair it with a food that completes the amino acid profile so I can count it toward my complete protein number, or it doesn't get counted. And I'm big on counting all fat but right now the only "added" fat in the diet is two whole eggs on my medium and low days, and 6g of high DHA fish oil on all days.

I've seen that written a lot but who actually eats carbs alone without a protein source? I can't imagine anyone eating plain rice or potato.. It doesn't makes sense to me. Fats from oats are still fats, you need to track them. Also protein from oats, since you have them with eggs or whey for example.

There are the end of my dieting phase, I got gear up to 600mg of test. most of the time I was either on trt or a combo of test and mast. Now that I'm finally in an off season setting, I have it turned way up. Way more than I've ever taken. I'm not sure if it is doing much for me, but we will see over the next few months if I change much. Right now I'm on 1g test, 300mg primo, and 300 npp.

That's a hefty dose if you're not that experienced with gear, but you do you. How's your health overall on cycle? Any side effects?

Morning Weight: 187.0lbs

Medium Day

3,793cal.
285g P
563g C
44g F (16g Added Fats)

Back & Rear Delts
Set #1
Reps
Set #2
Reps
Neutral Grip Pull Ups
BW​
12​
BW​
9​
Lat Pulldowns
140lbs​
12​
140lbs​
11​
DB Chest Supported Row
55lbs​
15​
55lbs​
13​
Seated Cable Rows
140lbs​
12​
140lbs​
11​
Back Hyperextension
70lbs​
14​
70lbs​
13​
DB Rear Delt Flys
45lbs​
13​
45lbs​
11​
Cable Rear Delt Flys
17.5lbs​
13​
17.5lbs​
11​

I've seen that written a lot but who actually eats carbs alone without a protein source? I can't imagine anyone eating plain rice or potato.. It doesn't makes sense to me. Fats from oats are still fats, you need to track them. Also protein from oats, since you have them with eggs or whey for example.
No one should only eat a carb source as a protein. That's not what I said. Completing the protein in my carbs allows me to simply eat more carbs while hitting my protein number than I would be able to if I didn't complete the protein, if that makes sense. It is just a more efficient way to eat more carbs for a certain amount of calories allowed per day. My protein sources right now are eye of round, chicken breast, egg whites, and sometimes whey iso when I eat cream of rice.
That's a hefty dose if you're not that experienced with gear, but you do you. How's your health overall on cycle? Any side effects?
I get blood work more than needed. I'm on top of it. No negatives as of yet. Watching closely for a reason to pull back.

It's quite interesting you cycle protein too, i had the assumption that protein remains the same throughout all three days. On the other hand is unnecessary to keep it constant since you're already hitting over a gram per pound and carbs are protein sparing. Do you use slin on high days? Or in general?

Also, i've noticed myself to perform better the day after a high day and not the same one. I usually train in the late morning or early noon so 1 meal, max 2 meals pre workout and i don't notice any positive effect. Next day after filling up workout is better and the pumps.

It's quite interesting you cycle protein too, i had the assumption that protein remains the same throughout all three days. On the other hand is unnecessary to keep it constant since you're already hitting over a gram per pound and carbs are protein sparing. Do you use slin on high days? Or in general?

Also, i've noticed myself to perform better the day after a high day and not the same one. I usually train in the late morning or early noon so 1 meal, max 2 meals pre workout and i don't notice any positive effect. Next day after filling up workout is better and the pumps.
I only change protein amount on high days where fats go to as close to zero as possible and the carbs go as high as possible. You aren't going to need as much protein when carbs are that high.

Yes, I only use insulin on high days, so twice a week right now.

You'll perform better the day after a high day but you'll always grow better on the actual high day. So you should have your high day on either a high output day like back or legs, or on a lagging body part day if you are trying to bring something up to match the rest of your physique. If your goal is hypertrophy, that is the way to grow. But if you are a power lifter or an athlete and need to perform, then having the high day the day before is the way to go.

Morning Weight: 186.6lbs

High Day

3,948cal.
194g P
751g C
18g F (6g Added Fats)

Chest & Biceps
Set #1
Reps
Set #2
Reps
Incline BB Press
220lbs​
10​
220lbs​
7​
Dips
60lbs​
15​
60lbs​
10​
DB Flat Press
60lbs​
14​
60lbs​
11​
EZ Bar Curls
90lbs​
14​
90lbs​
10​
Incline DB Curls
25lbs​
14​
25lbs​
12​
Hammer Curls
30lbs​
15​
30lbs​
13​

Morning Weight: 186.2lbs

Low Day

3,308cal.
282g P
423g C
54g F (16g Added Fats)

Another High Day weight drop. I love those.

Morning Weight: 185.2lbs

Medium Day

3,793cal.
285g P
563g C
44g F (16g Added Fats)

I pulled hack squats because they where killing my knees. Leg press hurts my knees too but not nearly as bad as hacks. I haven't been training abs at all so I threw those in in place of hacks.

Legs
Set #1
Reps
Set #2
Reps
Calf Raises
140lbs​
13​
140lbs​
10​
Lying Leg Curls
85lbs​
14​
85lbs​
11​
RDL
225lbs​
9​
225lbs​
8​
Leg Extensions
195lbs​
11​
195lbs​
9​
Leg Press
490lbs​
13​
490lbs​
11​
Decline Crunches
BW​
18​
BW​
13​

Morning Weight: 185.6lbs

Low Day

3,321cal.
282g P
423g C
55g F (16g Added Fats)

Pulled Ezekiel bread and replaced it with more cream of rice.

Morning Weight: 186.0lbs

High Day

4,133cal.
194g P
805g C
15g F (6g Added Fats)

I pulled the two whole eggs out of my diet on low and medium days for this week. I really like whole eggs but oats or cream of rice are just as delicious. So now the only added fat in my diet is fish oil.

Shoulders & Triceps
Set #1
Reps
Set #2
Reps
Seated Overhead Press
155lbs​
11​
155lbs​
8​
Seated DB Lateral Raises
27.5lbs​