Question about filtering please

Hey

If I have some gear that could potentially be suspect in terms of safety from being accidentally exposed through a vial top being lose and wanted to refilter them, would that resterilize the oil?

Does the filter change the content of BA or BB? Or the actual test for that matter?

I will be buying 6 whataman 14mm .2 micron filters, and need to filter 4 vials. Can I use the filter for more than one vial?

Also the vials are already pre sterilized, evacuated, and crimped. I plan to just use needles for draw and insertion into new vials.

Thanks

Refiltering should remove particles down to the size that you filter membrane is made for. So it will resterilize down to tha size.

make sure to vent the vial with another needle otherwise after about 3ml it will become impossible to filter

filtering wont change the ba or bb content and neither the hormone

make sure to vent the vial with another needle otherwise after about 3ml it will become impossible to filter

filtering wont change the ba or bb content and neither the hormone
Yeah I should have mentioned I kinda knew about that from years ago researching how to homebrew. However these vials are apparently vac pulled. Don't know how much if at all that will effect that. I would assume I wouldn't want to vent it until after that vac is gone.

I appreciate letting me know about the ba/bb/test that's good to know.

0.2 micron filters will stop most bacteria from passing through but not all of them, actually a few bacterial species can pass through 0.2 micron filters

Last edited:
0.2 micron filters will stop most bacteria from passing through but not all of them, actually a few bacterial species can pass through 0.2 micron filters

Well yeah I mean some types of bacteria can. But I doubt those types would likely be found in test vials lol. And I ran across that before too while googling and they are testing dirty water sources.

Put 22g needle in stopper of new vial to allow air flow

Draw up 45ml oil into a 60cc syringe, then Attach .2um filter to tip then 18g needle to filter. Put 60cc syringe into caulking gun and squeeze.

Process works best when oil is very warm. You can place vials in oven or on hot plate at about 1/3 setting or 150f. If they are capped it could pop off cap. Shouldn't explode, just cap would release from crimp.

Put 22g needle in stopper of new vial to allow air flow

Draw up 45ml oil into a 60cc syringe, then Attach .2um filter to tip then 18g needle to filter. Put 60cc syringe into caulking gun and squeeze.

Process works best when oil is very warm. You can place vials in oven or on hot plate at about 1/3 setting or 150f. If they are capped it could pop off cap. Shouldn't explode, just cap would release from crimp.

P.s
Will be sterile.
Much appreciated. Probably overkill and not needed at all but like I said I'm very risk adverse lol. I actually do have a hotplate too that I can use.

Do you think a 25g would be ok to use for both in and out? If not I will grab some needles too.

Much appreciated. Probably overkill and not needed at all but like I said I'm very risk adverse lol. I actually do have a hotplate too that I can use.

Do you think a 25g would be ok to use for both in and out? If not I will grab some needles too.
Definitely not for the product. 25g for air pressure, but you will definitely need a 18g for product.

You received all the perfect correct information, especially from Stan.
But to further help this discussion if it’s just 4 vials you are worried about, you can use a 10ML syringe and you can do that by hand without needing the caulking gun.
Here are some pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_9734.jpeg
    IMG_9734.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_9736.jpeg
    IMG_9736.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Well yeah I mean some types of bacteria can. But I doubt those types would likely be found in test vials lol. And I ran across that before too while googling and they are testing dirty water sources.
Yeah, but we don't know specifically what types of bacteria are found in the oil, I use 0.22 micron filters myself but u never know it's 100% sterile

Yeah, but we don't know specifically what types of bacteria are found in the oil, I use 0.22 micron filters myself but u never know it's 100% sterile
Meh, .22 micron is the industry standard I think you can feel pretty confident that it is as sterile as it needs to be.

Something people forget is to be actually infected or to get an infection you need a significant starting culture. So the organisms overwhelms your immune system before it can kill them.

If you get 1-2 of them your body should be able to kill them before they have a chance to multiply.

Also that's why there's BA in the oil. It's doest kill bacteria it just stops them from multiplying.

Meh, .22 micron is the industry standard I think you can feel pretty confident that it is as sterile as it needs to be.
I heard that multiple times, but I don't know if that means it's the UGL or the pharmaceutical standard, I wonder if pharmaceutical companies do it the same way we do.

I heard that multiple times, but I don't know if that means it's the UGL or the pharmaceutical standard, I wonder if pharmaceutical companies do it the same way we do.

Pharma and UGL are apples and oranges, you cannot really compare the processes for the two. The standards, scale of operation, and equipment and techniques used are entirely different.

.22 micron filters are used to create sterile media for lab tests, if its good enough to use in a professional laboratory setting I think its good enough for us.

Pharma preparations are composed differently as well. They use much higher levels of BA and less BB in their solutions because of it being kept in amps vs multi dose sterile vials etc.

When I speak about pharma preparations I am not referring to compounding pharmacies in the US but actual Pharma companies like bayer etc.

So I guess, what is your point in asking that question? If its just academic curiosity go look it up, if your concerned that every UGL and homebrewer is doing this wrong/filtering with insufficient sterility I would say your wasting your time and energy thinking about it.

They use much higher levels of BA and less BB in their solutions because of it being kept in amps vs multi dose sterile vials etc.
Actually they use more bb and no ba. Bayer at least does. Up to 50%bb and 0%ba (Nebido) and 30%bb again 0%ba (Testoviron/Rimobolan). Single use amps have no use of a bacteriostatic agent like ba.

And Pharma gear usually are sterilized by terminal heat sterilization and/or gamma radiation. And they use sterile raws and prefiltered aka usp grade carrier oils.

Actually they use more bb and no ba. Bayer at least does. Up to 50%bb and 0%ba (Nebido) and 30%bb again 0%ba (Testoviron/Rimobolan). Single use amps have no use of a bacteriostatic agent like ba.

And Pharma gear usually are sterilized by terminal heat sterilization and/or gamma radiation. And they use sterile raws and prefiltered aka usp grade carrier oils.

Your 100% right I got that backwards thanks!