Steroid use decreases IQ and causes premature aging of brain.

Anabolic androgenic steroids accelerate brain aging​

Brain imaging reveals long-term effects​

Date:March 25, 2021Source:ElsevierSummary:Anabolic androgenic steroids (AAS), a synthetic version of the male sex hormone testosterone, are sometimes used as a medical treatment for hormone imbalance, and its use is known to have many side effects, ranging from acne to heart problems to increased aggression. A new study now suggests that AAS can also have deleterious effects on the brain, causing it to age prematurely.

Anabolic androgenic steroids (AAS), a synthetic version of the male sex hormone testosterone, are sometimes used as a medical treatment for hormone imbalance. But the vast majority of AAS is used to enhance athletic performance or build muscle because when paired with strength training. AAS use increases muscle mass and strength, and its use is known to have many side effects, ranging from acne to heart problems to increased aggression. A new study now suggests that AAS can also have deleterious effects on the brain, causing it to age prematurely.

The report appears in Biological Psychiatry: Cognitive Neuroscience and Neuroimaging.
"Anabolic steroid use has been associated with a range of medical and psychological side effects," said lead author, Astrid Bjørnebekk, PhD, Division of Mental Health and Addiction, Oslo University Hospital, Oslo, Norway. "However, since anabolic steroids have only been in the public domain for about 35 years, we are still in the early phase of appreciating the full scope of effects after prolonged use. The least studied effects are those that relate to the brain."
Steroid hormones readily enter the brain, and receptors for sex hormones are found throughout the brain. Because AAS are administered at much higher doses than those naturally found in the body, they could have a harmful impact on the brain, particularly over a long period of use. Previous studies have shown that AAS users performed worse on cognitive tests than non-users.
Dr. Bjørnebekk and colleagues performed magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) of the brains of 130 male weightlifters with a history of prolonged AAS use and of 99 weightlifters who had never used AAS. Using a set of data compiled from nearly 2,000 healthy males from age 18 to 92 years of age. The researchers used machine learning to determine the predicted brain age of each of their participants and then determined the brain age gap: the difference between each participant's chronological age and their predicted brain age. Advanced brain age is associated with impaired cognitive performance and increased risk for neurodegenerative diseases.
Not surprisingly, AAS users had a bigger brain age gap compared to non-users. Those with dependence on AAS, or with a longer history of use, showed accelerated brain aging. The researchers accounted for use of other substances and for depression in the men, which did not explain the difference between the groups.
"This important study shows in a large sample that use is associated with deviant brain aging, with a potential impact on quality of life in older age. The findings could be directly useful for health care professionals, and may potentially have preventive implications, where brain effects are also included into the risk assessment for young men wondering whether to use anabolic steroids," added Dr. Bjørnebekk.

Cameron Carter, MD, editor of Biological Psychiatry: Cognitive Neuroscience and Neuroimaging, said of the study: "The results of this brain imaging study should be of concern for athletes using anabolic steroids for performance enhancement and suggest that the adverse effects on behavior and cognition previously shown to be associated with long-term use are the result of effects on the brain in the form of accelerated brain aging."

Do you have an actual agenda for being on this forum? Tell us all why you're here, if not as a troll? Everyone's ears are open.

Do you have an actual agenda for being on this forum? Tell us all why you're here, if not as a troll? Everyone's ears are open.
So hard facts bother you? You can't attack the data, so you want to attack the messenger! How Unique!

A group of university professors performed tests on 243 males, primarily college students, to determine the effect of testosterone, or "T," on a key brain function. The conclusion: Those who received a dose of testosterone on their bodies were more likely to make quick, impulsive decisions. They made more mistakes on the type of tests usually given for college entrance. And, although this wasn't part of the test, they could also commit more errors when making key life choices.

"Testosterone overrides judgment," said professor Gideon Nave, who teaches marketing at the Wharton School in the University of Pennsylvania and is an author of the study.

Here’s one question: "In a lake, there is a patch of lily pads. Every day, the patch doubles in size. If it takes 48 days for the patch to cover the entire lake, how long would it
 take for the patch to cover half of the lake?"

Even if you have no clue about math, you probably realize that the right answer can’t be 24, for the reason that it seems too obvious. But about 20 percent of the testosterone-gel group gave that response—compared to 10 percent of the placebo group.

So hard facts bother you? You can't attack the data, so you want to attack the messenger! How Unique!

A group of university professors performed tests on 243 males, primarily college students, to determine the effect of testosterone, or "T," on a key brain function. The conclusion: Those who received a dose of testosterone on their bodies were more likely to make quick, impulsive decisions. They made more mistakes on the type of tests usually given for college entrance. And, although this wasn't part of the test, they could also commit more errors when making key life choices.

"Testosterone overrides judgment," said professor Gideon Nave, who teaches marketing at the Wharton School in the University of Pennsylvania and is an author of the study.

Here’s one question: "In a lake, there is a patch of lily pads. Every day, the patch doubles in size. If it takes 48 days for the patch to cover the entire lake, how long would it
 take for the patch to cover half of the lake?"

Even if you have no clue about math, you probably realize that the right answer can’t be 24, for the reason that it seems too obvious. But about 20 percent of the testosterone-gel group gave that response—compared to 10 percent of the placebo group.
Nancy, you're a bit overly sensitive, I wasn't attacking you, I was asking you a question. What's your agenda? You obviously like getting under everyone's skin, so.....why is that, what's motivating you to be such a prick? You obviously don't play well with others, so there has to be a reason for it. Or, did you run out of Midol....again.

Large, red, bold copy and pasted font decreases IQ and causes premature aging of brain as well...just sayin...you know, for reference.

Guess this means Alexander the great, Attila and Genghis Khan would likely not be accepted to UC Berekley.

Is there a reason you posted this in a humongous red-colored font while failing to link to the original paper?
Do you have a phone number sexy, i'll be sure to get your pre-approval on future posts if you provide me with your contact information. ️‍

I get that Meso is supposed to be mostly unmoderated, but there needs to be an exception for obvious trolling like this.

I get that Meso is supposed to be mostly unmoderated, but there needs to be an exception for obvious trolling like this.
Mehhh...I accidentally fed him once. If folks are bothered that much by his posts, it's easy enough to block him and not have to see them anymore. Personally, I think he's a needy douche and gets a kick out of hearing guys cry about getting him banned. He'll get bored soon enough if he's only left to talk to himself.

another scrawny fuck that changed his agenda after he figured out not even steroids could make him grow! Ban this idiot please

another scrawny fuck that changed his agenda after he figured out not even steroids could make him grow! Ban this idiot please
Interesting, not one of you ( fill in the blank ) cares to talk about the study or the science behind it. But you are quick with the Ad Hom attacks.

Everyone has their bias, liberals hate conserveratives, vice versa, religious zealots think anything against their opinion is "of the devil". Seems many on here if you don't march to their beat call you a troll.

I'm not trolling, but even if you think I am, please don't reply. I've noticed all the idiots that respond to a "troll" is much more annoying than the troller himself. So... quit bothering me with your off subject responses.

God Bless

Interesting, not one of you ( fill in the blank ) cares to talk about the study or the science behind it.
Why no link to the actual study? We have to go find it?

Did they attempt any control on subjects with respect to how their brains were prior to doing steroids? I mean, what if lower IQ or more brain damaged folks are more likely to do steroids, and for longer, than folks who do not? If that were the case, then this study does not mean that steroids caused any issue at all.

Did they control for blood pressure? Doesn't blood pressure all by itself cause cognitive issues over time?

Anyway, if you really wanted discussion, then you would have posted the study. The quote above is not from the study, but some article about the study. From what was posted, we cannot tell whether the alarming headline has any validity whatsoever.

Steroid users have lower income than non-steroid users. Does this mean that steroids cause a decrease in income? I highly doubt it.