train a muscle once or twice a week for recomping?

How many times per week to train a muscle group in a bulk/recomp

• Once per week

• Twice per week

Results are only viewable after voting.
Science seems to say train everything twice with high volume but big guys seem to train them once.
What's the deal here is twice better for novice trainers maybe and once for more experienced guys?
Just like AAS and GH usage, the best lifting protocol is highly individualistic. For my body, "heavy duty" once per week Mentzer type training always gave me the best gains, until age caused me to back down from the heavy weights due to injury prevention. Even prior, however, certain muscle groups such as biceps saw better results on more frequent, lower weight, higher volume training. There is no "one size fits all" when it cones to training optimization - this is why there is so much debate. Find what works for YOU!

Would depend on how much volume and weight is being used i think. When i first started training 1 trained things 2x week. Lost fat added muscle. But once the poundage got to much i needed more time to recover with the same amount of sets. Possibly lowering the amount of sets would have kept me at 2x week. But then i would be shooting more for high intensity workouts then volume. Which is what i also did over time and that worked as well too. as long as a person giver them selves time to recover then grow muscle will be added in my opinion. It is just a matter of juggling all the factors.

Would depend on how much volume and weight is being used i think. When i first started training 1 trained things 2x week. Lost fat added muscle. But once the poundage got to much i needed more time to recover with the same amount of sets. Possibly lowering the amount of sets would have kept me at 2x week. But then i would be shooting more for high intensity workouts then volume. Which is what i also did over time and that worked as well too. as long as a person giver them selves time to recover then grow muscle will be added in my opinion. It is just a matter of juggling all the factors.
True i can't handle the same volume i once could with ease.

The weights and intesidy did go up but at the end of the day we are also getting older and it's better to play it safe.

If that means low volume or once a week so be it.

True i can't handle the same volume i once could with ease.

The weights and intesidy did go up but at the end of the day we are also getting older and it's better to play it safe.

If that means low volume or once a week so be it.
I am 64. I do higher volume to failure-ish again these days as high intensity is more likely to cause injuries for me. I train everything directly about every 5 days. And indirectly once each body part cycle. i.e. back works biceps indirectly but i also have an arm day for example.

I say 2x a week for me and most people. 1x a week is more like maintenance enless ur mike mentzer like u said lol.

I have my self and have watched others make great gains natural an with semen retention lol, and just calisthenics about every single day sometimes eod, mabe 1 day off a week, push ups, pull ups, dips, squats, lunges. Sometimes a water bag or using another person for resistance.

I'm sure I did 1,000 push ups, burpies or navy seals, and a ton of pull ups and dips every single day for some years. And we worry about recovery an tons of food sleep and aas and gh haha.

I say 2x a week for me and most people. 1x a week is more like maintenance enless ur mike mentzer like u said lol.

I have my self and have watched others make great gains natural an with semen retention lol, and just calisthenics about every single day sometimes eod, mabe 1 day off a week, push ups, pull ups, dips, squats, lunges. Sometimes a water bag or using another person for resistance.

I'm sure I did 1,000 push ups, burpies or navy seals, and a ton of pull ups and dips every single day for some years. And we worry about recovery an tons of food sleep and aas and gh haha.
They also aren't growing any real muscle doing those routines. Mentzer and seals don't any where near the same goal or results. 2 different creatures. I have never seen anyone grow a lot of muscle with calisthenics. Get learner maybe.

They also aren't growing any real muscle doing those routines. Mentzer and seals don't any where near the same goal or results. 2 different creatures. I have never seen anyone grow a lot of muscle with calisthenics. Get learner maybe.
Then I assume You have never been to a prison or seen a Olympic gymnast or wrestler im guessing. I'd bet those dudes look better than 90% of the people on this forum and natural.

By the way what do u think alot of muscle is ronnie colman, or fully juiced on gh and 5 different ass and genetically gifted body builder?

Also how did Arnold or sergio grow all the muscle mentzer style?

Only way I could possibly build on 1 muslce per week personally would be to anayalate not stimulate, and leave my self open to injury.

But yes you do get lean also with alot of calisthenics especially burpies. So that will just add to the allusion of more muscle.

Then I assume You have never been to a prison or seen a Olympic gymnast or wrestler im guessing. I'd bet those dudes look better than 90% of the people on this forum and natural.

By the way what do u think alot of muscle is ronnie colman, or fully juiced on gh and 5 different ass and genetically gifted body builder?

Also how did Arnold or sergio grow all the muscle mentzer style?

Only way I could possibly build on 1 muslce per week personally would be to anayalate not stimulate, and leave my self open to injury.

But yes you do get lean also with alot of calisthenics especially burpies. So that will just add to the allusion of more muscle.
Please feel free to do those workouts to your hearts content i totally support your effort.
The impact from years or decades of burpees and other impact movements is more then my shoulders and wrists care to take.
When Ronnie was passing drug tests in competition he looked better then many guys i know on steroids. Genetics is hard to beat.
Over my 50 years of training i grew from most everything i tried. No way to know what was best.

Please feel free to do those workouts to your hearts content i totally support your effort.
The impact from years or decades of burpees and other impact movements is more then my shoulders and wrists care to take.
When Ronnie was passing drug tests in competition he looked better then many guys i know on steroids. Genetics is hard to beat.
Over my 50 years of training i grew from most everything i tried. No way to know what was best.
Those workouts are usually done out of nesssesity, not for fun or because its optimal. The other stuff sure I agree with u gramps lol i bet uve learned a thing or 2 over the years. I've been at it off an on for over 20 years myself I'll be blessed to make it to ur age with the same quality of life.

But the ronnie passing drug test thing I'm not so sure its highly debated but possible I guess, but shit loads of cops are on gear especially in the 90s it was rampid . Even when the WWF guys were forced to take drug tests for a bit around that time, they were on like gh and test suspension an shit probably orals too. I'm pretty sure even phil heath admitted he needed 500 test 500 decca to turn pro, if my memory serves me.

Those workouts are usually done out of nesssesity, not for fun or because its optimal. The other stuff sure I agree with u gramps lol i bet uve learned a thing or 2 over the years. I've been at it off an on for over 20 years myself I'll be blessed to make it to ur age with the same quality of life.

But the ronnie passing drug test thing I'm not so sure its highly debated but possible I guess, but shit loads of cops are on gear especially in the 90s it was rampid . Even when the WWF guys were forced to take drug tests for a bit around that time, they were on like gh and test suspension an shit probably orals too. I'm pretty sure even phil heath admitted he needed 500 test 500 decca to turn pro, if my memory serves me.
Ronnie was actually natural early in his career (and he was huge naturally) so that is what he was referring to (not when he was winning Olympias)

Ronnie was actually natural early in his career (and he was huge naturally) so that is what he was referring to (not when he was winning Olympias)
I got u, but I could never say 100 percent someone is natty. Enless I was married to them and showered with them and watched every move they made. Or just be plain old psychic.

Would u bet ur life on it, or u coached him?

Guys like Mentzer and the super-high intensity crowd got big on traditional high volume bodybuilding training. They later adopted high intensity training and that's what they're remembered for (Mentzer via his meth-induced writing rants, Dorian with his films, etc.).

Mentzer, Yates, Viator, etc were beasts long before they adopted high intensity low volume training.

But drug tests are easy to beat.
Guys like Mentzer and the super-high intensity crowd got big on traditional high volume bodybuilding training. They later adopted high intensity training and that's what they're remembered for (Mentzer via his meth-induced writing rants, Dorian with his films, etc.).

Mentzer, Yates, Viator, etc were beasts long before they adopted high intensity low volume training.
Geez thanks, finally someone with a opened mind. I've always said if u wana really build a good physique u have to at one point grown with or at least tryed a little of everything.

But the main thing I agree with the old man, no way to know what's best for u untill u try it.

I got u, but I could never say 100 percent someone is natty. Enless I was married to them and showered with them and watched every move they made. Or just be plain old psychic.

Would u bet ur life on it, or u coached him?
Even if you’re married, they could still be cheating lmao

Btw, why do OP keep making all these threads when he mentioned he has an ifbb pro friend? Just ask him wtf you asking dumb forum gymbros for, have you seen our physiques?

I would trust someone who has the work ethic and experience than some randoms in a forum for bodybuilding advice. @TribulusMax

Once you’re advanced enough you understand that it’s a constant process of pushing forward in one area while stepping back in another. I’ve leaned more towards more frequent stimulation but not going balls out every time with each muscle group. But the time under tension is always there, time under tension and pump is all I give a fuck about anymore at 44 yrs old. Eating to grow is a thing of the past, it’s all abt health and being active at this point, and the mental stress relief that comes from training.

Btw, why do OP keep making all these threads when he mentioned he has an ifbb pro friend? Just ask him wtf you asking dumb forum gymbros for, have you seen our physiques?

I would trust someone who has the work ethic and experience than some randoms in a forum for bodybuilding advice. @TribulusMax
It's not hard to figure out if you don't have room temp iq.

I don't have his genetics i have the average forum guys genetics.

Why would i do what he is doing?

the real question is why are you answering the threads if you don't like them?

It's not hard to figure out if you don't have room temp iq.

I don't have his genetics i have the average forum guys genetics.

Why would i do what he is doing?

the real question is why are you answering the threads if you don't like them?
Did I say I didn’t like them lol. I just said you can learn more from someone who has the experience and knowledge not some fat mofos you don’t even know if they lift in the internet.

You don’t need to have his genetics to apply things that work. If that’s the case, then what do these ex ifbb pros who coach do then?

Why the hostility when someone points out an obvious flaw in your logic? Think rationally, who’s a better source of knowledge? An ifbb pro or joey mofo who’s fatter than you but says he is 270lbs 10%?

Unless there is no ifbb pro friend then as you were then.

Did I say I didn’t like them lol. I just said you can learn more from someone who has the experience and knowledge not some fat mofos you don’t even know if they lift in the internet.

You don’t need to have his genetics to apply things that work. If that’s the case, then what do these ex ifbb pros who coach do then?

Why the hostility when someone points out an obvious flaw in your logic? Think rationally, who’s a better source of knowledge? An ifbb pro or joey mofo who’s fatter than you but says he is 270lbs 10%?

Unless there is no ifbb pro friend then as you were then.
Cool story let me give you a little life advice

Be less worried what others do and concentrate on what you do this will lead to a much happier life in general.

Have a good day