Triceps tendon rupture, surgery or not?

M@NU

Hey there,
Worst week since a long time. I had mri on Thursday and ortho appointment yesterday and I have a full triceps tendon rupture on my right arm. Didn't think I had since I still have function and can train triceps and presses with light weights.
Ortho says I should go for surgery but I am not sure.
Anyone experience with this kind of rupture and if surgery is the only way to optimally treat it? Additional info. Tendon is retracted 1,9cm which, according to my ortho, is very little and success of surgery is very high
Thanks guys

Hey there,
Worst week since a long time. I had mri on Thursday and ortho appointment yesterday and I have a full triceps tendon rupture on my right arm. Didn't think I had since I still have function and can train triceps and presses with light weights.
Ortho says I should go for surgery but I am not sure.
Anyone experience with this kind of rupture and if surgery is the only way to optimally treat it? Additional info. Tendon is retracted 1,9cm which, according to my ortho, is very little and success of surgery is very high
Thanks guys
I believe you should listen to your ortho if you want to have a strong shot of recovering strength back to 90-95% of where you were before the injury.

Your window for surgery in this type of situation is normally just 2 to 3 weeks after injury, otherwise surgery will no longer be an option.

If you weren't into lifting, some orthos might suggest you skip surgery because you don't necessarily have to have surgery in that scenario as the injury will likely not signficantly affect your quality of life.

In your case, if you don't have surgery, you are likely going to have to adjust to the injured arm likely staying in its weakened state or getting worse.

Last edited:
Yeah I guess it's the right way to proceed. My only fear is that I will mentally break without my heavy training. Right now my training is progressing from week to week. For chest ofc Flys only and no triceps but rest is no issue.
I am scared for the first weeks where training has to be very light. I can not tell you when I've had my last rest day. This sport is a very very big part of my life