Trump Timeline ... Trumpocalypse

You could measure the decline of Fox News by the drop in the quality of guests waiting in the green room. A year and a half ago, you might have heard George Will discussing policy with a senator while a former Cabinet member listened in. Today, you would meet a Republican commissar with a steakhouse waistline and an eager young woman wearing too little fabric and too much makeup, immersed in memorizing her talking points.

This wasn’t a case of the rats leaving a sinking ship. The best sailors were driven overboard by the rodents.

As I wrote in https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/fox-news-commentator-exits-with-a-searing-attack-on-fox-news/2018/03/20/fc876fc4-2c81-11e8-8ad6-fbc50284fce8_story.html?utm_term=.cfd471598119 (an internal Fox memo), leaked and widely disseminated, I declined to renew my contract as Fox News’s strategic analyst because of the network’s propagandizing for the Trump administration. Today’s Fox prime-time lineup preaches paranoia, attacking processes and institutions vital to our republic and challenging the rule of law.

Four decades ago, as a U.S. Army second lieutenant, I took an oath to “support and defend the Constitution.” In moral and ethical terms, that oath never expires. As Fox’s assault on our constitutional order intensified, spearheaded by its after-dinner demagogues, I had no choice but to leave.

My error was waiting so long to walk away. The chance to speak to millions of Americans is seductive, and, with the infinite human capacity for self-delusion, I rationalized that I could make a difference by remaining at Fox and speaking honestly.

I was wrong.

President Trump’s now-former attorney John Dowd allegedly told lawyers representing Paul J. Manafort and Michael Flynn last year that the president https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trumps-lawyer-allegedly-raised-possibility-of-pardons-for-manafort-flynn-last-summer/2018/03/28/3c5e570c-32ae-11e8-8abc-22a366b72f2d_story.html?utm_term=.4b69886564d1 (would consider pardoning)the two men if they got into legal trouble. (Dowd has denied the reports.) Much of the news coverage has focused on whether offering pardons to induce a witness not to cooperate in the special counsel’s investigation could constitute obstruction of justice. But there is another potential charge that could apply more directly and that prosecutors might have reason to favor: conspiracy to commit bribery.

Federal bribery requires that a public official agree to receive and accept something of value in exchange for being influenced in the performance of an official act. In this scenario, the official act would be granting a pardon. While https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/supreme-court-rules-unanimously-in-favor-of-former-va-robert-f-mcdonnell-in-corruption-case/2016/06/27/38526a94-3c75-11e6-a66f-aa6c1883b6b1_story.html?utm_term=.57a8587fd648 (the Supreme Court’s 2016 decision) in the case of former Virginia governor Robert F. McDonnell dramatically narrowed the definition of “official act,” there’s no question that a president granting a pardon would be an exercise of government power under the McDonnell v. United States standard.

“Thing of value” is also fairly easily met: It would be the agreement not to cooperate against the president. The thing of value in bribery law is not limited to envelopes stuffed with cash. It can include anything of subjective value to the public official, whether tangible or intangible. Such intangibles as offers of future employment and personal companionship have been found to be things of value for purposes of bribery. A promise not to cooperate in special counsel Robert S. Mueller III’s probe could readily serve as the quid in this quid pro quo.

The kind that pays his taxes to subsidize the corporate tax cut and elimination of the inheritance tax your thief commander in chief passed ...
The inheritance tax was never paid by wealthy individuals. They simply used loopholes in order to avoid paying it. Everyone has to pay taxes for programs or policy they don't agree with so you are certainly not alone. Calling him a thief is comical considering any tax could be considered theft and the left has yet to discover a tax they don't like.

The inheritance tax was never paid by wealthy individuals. They simply used loopholes in order to avoid paying it. Everyone has to pay taxes for programs or policy they don't agree with so you are certainly not alone. Calling him a thief is comical considering any tax could be considered theft and the left has yet to discover a tax they don't like.

your insistence to justify theorangething is almost tender in its absurdity and indefensibility ....

your insistence to justify theorangething is almost tender in its absurdity and indefensibility ....
Translation: I have no rebuttal to debate the points made by gigalorob. I will follow in the footsteps of about all narrow minded people in this thread and respond with absolutely nothing of value. Simply embarrassing.