Trump Timeline ... Trumpocalypse

[Thread] In any other year I’d agree with this. But decent people have nothing to learn from Trump supporters but which direction to spit in.

I say this as a libertarian with no particular affection for the Democratic Party. It’s an insult to serious thought on the right to pretend a toxic soup of racism, hero worship, and ressentiment against the educated represents some interesting body of thought worth engaging.

By all means, befriend someone with a different political philosophy. But Trumpism finally is what Lionel Trilling once claimed all conservatism was: A set of irritable mental gestures which seek to resemble ideas.

Anyone who engages with that poisonous farrago and imagines they’ve confronted a serious opposing ideology is kidding themselves.

Thread by @normative: "In any other year I’d agree with this. But decent people have nothing to learn from Trump supporters but which direction to spit in. I say t […]"

[Thread] Oh, the pearl-clutching by the media about bad behavior in restaurants, @SecNielsen didn't find time to finish her tacos, @PressSec her cheese plate, @StephenMillerAL his chips and guac. They expect this to all play out on talk shows, op-ed pages, 9-5, with civility, grace. 1/

Tell that to the kids who may never see their parents again, taunted at school for being members of MS13, because @realDonaldTrump implied all immigrants are criminals, beat up because there were "good people" in Charlottesville, are in danger of losing food stamps, healthcare 2/

Any non-violent protest is fair game. Sorry your highway was shut down, your bus was delayed, your lunch counter occupied. Frederick Douglass: “Those who profess to favor freedom and yet depreciate agitation, are people who want crops without ploughing the ground... 3/

they want rain without thunder and lightning; they want the ocean without the roar of its many waters." 4/

We learned in the AIDS epidemic that the government did NOT care if we lived or died--it wasn't about sitting down and having a heart to heart, reasoning with the unreasonable. @actupny took the fight to those who would see us dead and I'm alive today because of it. 5/

Thread by @gregggonsalves: "Oh, the pearl-clutching by the media about bad behavior in restaurants, @SecNielsen didn't find time to finish her tacos, @PressSec her chee […]"

Hardly anyone doubts that China is on the hunt for advanced technologies by “legal means if possible, and illegal means, if necessary,” as Michael Wessel of the U.S.-China Economic and Security Review Commission, a congressional watchdog agency, recently said.

In his Wall Street Journal piece, Navarro argued that “Trump’s new tariffs will provide a critical shield against this aggression.”

He’s wrong. Indeed, focusing on reducing the global U.S. trade deficit — more than $500 billion in 2017 — will make it much harder to impede China’s ability to acquire advanced technologies on favorable terms.

As Brookings Institution economist David Dollar pointed out, the United States cannot accomplish this policing alone. Frustrated by U.S. technological restrictions, China could turn to other advanced countries — Japan, Germany, Canada, South Korea, France — for similar technologies. We do not hold a monopoly on advanced technologies. To be effective, we need a global coalition that will cooperate in curbing abuses. (Most routine technologies, it’s worth noting, should be available on normal commercial terms.)

The trouble is that Trump’s bombastic assaults against our traditional trading partners — and military allies — virtually guarantee that the essential cooperation will be difficult, if not impossible, to attain. “Trump’s focus on the trade deficit is causing specific harms to American national security, including the distortion of U.S. [foreign] alliance relationships and loss of leverage against China,” wrote Derek Scissors of the conservative American Enterprise Institute.