Trump Timeline ... Trumpocalypse

Moments before a much-anticipated hearing Thursday about sexual assault allegations against Supreme Court nominee Judge Brett M. Kavanaugh, Fox News host Chris Wallace said his own daughters revealed details about incidents they had faced during their own adolescence.

While waiting for Kavanaugh and one of his accusers, Christine Blasey Ford, to arrive at a Senate Judiciary Committee hearing, Wallace said on live TV that over the past week, his relatives, “like a lot of American families,” have been discussing and debating the controversy surrounding the allegations against the nominee. During those conversations, he said, “two of my daughters told me stories that I had never heard before about things that happened to them in high school.”

Wallace acknowledged that the allegations were not as serious as those against Kavanaugh, but, he said, “the point is that there are teenage girls who don’t tell stories to a lot of people, and then it comes up.”

“And I don’t think we can disregard that,” he added. “I don’t think we can disregard Christine Blasey Ford and the seriousness of this. I think that would be a big mistake.”

Sorry to interrupt the side show (or should that be freak show) with real content.

Trump Has Nothing But Contempt for the Iranian People
By Daniel LarisonSeptember 26, 2018, 9:44 PM

Donald-Trump-Iran-Deal-rally-554x382.jpg

Trump speaks at Washington rally against the Iran deal back in September 2015. Credit: Olivier Douliery/Sipa USA/Newscom

Another excerpt from Trump’s strange press conference stands out for its sheer lack of empathy:

It doesn’t matter what world leaders think on Iran. Iran is going to come back to me and they’re going to make a good deal. I think. Maybe not. Deals, you never know, but they’re suffering greatly. They’re having riots in every city, far greater than they were during the green period with President Obama. Far greater. When President Obama stuck up for government, not the people, he probably would have had a much different Iran had he not done that. But I’m sticking up for the people. I am with the people of Iran.

But here is the thing. They have rampant inflation. Their money is worthless. Everything is going wrong. They have riots in the street. You can’t buy bread, you can’t do anything. It is a disaster [bold mine-DL].

Trump’s statement is equal parts delusion and cruelty. On the one hand, he imagines that he can humiliate Iran into accepting far worse terms. That won’t happen, but he is incapable of putting himself in their position so he can’t grasp why. He lies that the current protests are bigger than the Green movement protests, and then displays his ignorance of the latter by suggesting that there would have been a major change in the regime if the protesters had prevailed. Trump also lies about his predecessor as usual, claiming that Obama “stuck up for government” because Obama chose not to insert the U.S. into the middle of an internal Iranian dispute. At no time did Obama defend or “stick up” for the Iranian government when it was repressing protesters in 2009-10, but since Trump is just repeating warmed-over Iran hawk talking points he wouldn’t know that.

The truly delusional part is the claim that he is “with the people of Iran” when every action he has taken with respect to Iran has been to punish and harm the people of Iran. First he banned Iranian nationals from coming to the U.S., then reneged on the nuclear deal most Iranians supported, and further injured them by reimposing nuclear sanctions without the slightest justification. Trump is now using U.S. power to strangle Iran’s economy and cut it off from the world’s financial institutions, which is already having the effect of preventing the import of vital medicines, and as the sanctions grow tighter it will impoverish the population still more. Trump is carrying out a policy of collective punishment, he boasts about the terrible effects it is having on the economy, and yet he has the gall to say that he is “sticking up for the people.” On the contrary, he is trampling them and kicking them while they are down. It takes a genuinely callous person to tout the great suffering of people that you have caused and then congratulate yourself for being on their side.

A top EPA official just put on administrative leave said the Trump administration was trying to “disappear” her office dedicated to children’s health, according to an email obtained by BuzzFeed News.

Ruth Etzel, the director of the Office of Children’s Health Protection and an internationally renowned expert who cowrote the field’s “https://www.amazon.com/Pediatric-Environmental-American-Academy-Pediatrics/dp/1581103131 (bible),” was placed on administrative leave Tuesday, the New York Times first reported.

“I appear to be the ‘fall guy’ for their plan to ‘disappear’ the office of children’s health,” Etzel wrote Tuesday to the leader of a nonprofit, in an email shared widely among academics and advocates.

Etzel wrote that the EPA told her the decision to place her on leave was not a disciplinary action, and that it ended several months of conflict.

“It had been apparent for about 5 months that the top EPA leaders were conducting ‘guerrilla warfare’ against me as the leader of OCHP, but now it’s clearly official,” Etzel wrote. Etzel did not respond to requests for comment from BuzzFeed News.

The EPA declined to comment on Etzel’s email or the specifics of her leave. But a spokesperson contested the notion that the agency’s children’s health programs would be nixed.

“Children’s health is and has always been a top priority for the Trump Administration and the EPA in particular is focused on reducing lead exposure in schools, providing funds for a cleaner school bus fleet, and cleaning up toxic sites so that children have safe environments to learn and play,” John Konkus, an EPA spokesperson, told BuzzFeed News by email.

Konkus added that the Children’s Office, along with others like Environmental Justice and Civil Rights, “will continue to be a part of headquarters and regional organizations.”

This is just the latest controversy at Trump’s EPA, which has rolled back several environmental regulations, overhauled its advisory panels, and taken down climate information on its website. These changes and more have led to low morale at the agency, and spurred hundreds of career staff to retire or leave. Trump’s first EPA chief, Scott Pruitt, left the agency in July amid a series of ethics problems, and now the agency is led by acting head Andrew Wheeler, a former coal lobbyist.