Trump Timeline ... Trumpocalypse

A second Parkland shooting survivor has killed himself, Coral Springs police confirmed on Sunday.

Investigators told the Miami Herald that a current Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School student died in “an apparent suicide” on Saturday night.

Police are still investigating.

Though police could not confirm the age of the student, Coral Springs police spokesman Tyler Reik said the student was a juvenile. Sources say the student was a male sophomore. His name has not been released.

The death comes just about a week after a recent Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School graduate, Sydney Aiello, took her own life after being diagnosed with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. Broward County Medical Examiner’s Office told NBC News that Aiello died from a gunshot wound to the head.

“When you look at Columbine as an example, almost just as many students killed themselves after the fact than in the actual shooting. That needs to change. We need to get them the help they need.”

Why do many working-class white Americans support politicians whose policies are literally killing them?

This is the question sociologist and psychiatrist Jonathan Metzl tries to answer in his new book, Dying of Whiteness: How the Politics of Racial Resentment is Killing America’s Heartland. The book is a serious look at how cultural attitudes associated with “whiteness” encourage white people to adopt political views — like opposition to gun laws or the Affordable Care Act — that undercut their own health.

The book is not about racism at the individual level, though you can certainly read that into it. For Metzl, the key question is how did a politics of racial resentment become so powerful that it overwhelmed even the basic instinct for self-preservation? To get answers, he spent years talking to voters in Southern and Midwestern states, asking them to explain their political choices. The answers aren’t terribly satisfying, but they are instructive.

I spoke to Metzl about what he learned and what he thinks we can do to solve this problem. A lightly edited transcript of our conversation follows.

Attorney General William Barr sent a summary of the "principal conclusions" from special counsel Robert Mueller's investigation, which found that there was not sufficient evidence that President Trump's campaign conspired with Russia during the 2016 election, but left open the question of obstruction of justice.

3 key quotes:
  • On conspiracy: "[T]he investigation did not establish that members of the Trump campaign conspired or coordinated with the Russian government in its election interference activities."
  • On obstruction: "After making a "thorough factual investigation" into these matters, the Special Counsel considered whether to evaluate the conduct under Department standards governing prosecution and declination decisions but ultimately determined not to make a traditional prosecutorial judgment. Instead, for each of the relevant actions investigated, the report sets out evidence on both sides of the question and leaves unresolved what the Special Counsel views as "difficult issues" of law and fact concerning whether the President's action and intent could be viewed as obstruction."
  • On the full Mueller report: "[T]he schedule for processing the report depends in part on how quickly the Department can identify the 6e material that by law cannot be made public. I have requested the assistance of the Special Counsel in identifying all 6e information contained in the report. Separately, I must also identify any information that could impact other ongoing matters, including those that the Special Counsel has referred to other offices. As soon as that process is complete, I will be in a position to move forward expeditiously in determining what can be released in light of applicable law, regulations, and Departmental policies."

I think the doc should be put on suicide watch.

can you imagine wasting two years of your life on a complete lie and posting about it obsessively on a bodybuilding forum, how pathetic.

I hope he takes his meds. the doc seriously needs to be watched. i’m concerned he might take his own life over this. so sad

I think the doc should be put on suicide watch.

can you imagine wasting two years of your life on a complete lie and posting about it obsessively on a bodybuilding forum, how pathetic.

I hope he takes his meds. the doc seriously needs to be watched. i’m concerned he might take his own life over this. so sad
I have him on ignore. He brings nothing to the discussion. I'm eagerly waiting for the other self proclaimed "highly intelligent " members who lectured and put down anyone that didn't conform to their views to speak up. Obviously they won't because cowardice is the trait they all seem to share.