Trump Timeline ... Trumpocalypse

Yes, politics can make us stupid. But there’s an important exception to that rule.

Dan Kahan is a professor of law and psychology at Yale whose research over the years has taught us something critically important about political debate today.

It’s this: While we would like to believe we can persuade people on the other side of a political debate with evidence, his studies show the other side is likely to become even more deeply entrenched in its view in the face of more information. His findings are a blow to the great underlying assumption of democracy: that an informed public is the key for a government that works.

The phenomenon is called “politically motivated reasoning,” and it finds people use their minds to protect the groups to which they belong from grappling with uncomfortable truths. The motivation to conform is stronger than the motivation to be right.

That’s why “this one is totally unexpected,” he says. There’s an antidote to politically motivated reasoning, he finds. And it’s wonderfully simple: curiosity.

The more scientifically curious a person is, the more they are immune to the power of partisan thinking

“We observed this kind of strange thing about these people who are high in science curiosity,” he says. The more scientifically curious a person, the less likely they were to show partisan bias in answering questions. “They seem to be moving in lock-steps rather than polarizing as they became more science curious.”

Yes, politics can make us stupid. But there’s an important exception to that rule.

Dan Kahan is a professor of law and psychology at Yale whose research over the years has taught us something critically important about political debate today.

It’s this: While we would like to believe we can persuade people on the other side of a political debate with evidence, his studies show the other side is likely to become even more deeply entrenched in its view in the face of more information. His findings are a blow to the great underlying assumption of democracy: that an informed public is the key for a government that works.

The phenomenon is called “politically motivated reasoning,” and it finds people use their minds to protect the groups to which they belong from grappling with uncomfortable truths. The motivation to conform is stronger than the motivation to be right.

That’s why “this one is totally unexpected,” he says. There’s an antidote to politically motivated reasoning, he finds. And it’s wonderfully simple: curiosity.

The more scientifically curious a person is, the more they are immune to the power of partisan thinking

“We observed this kind of strange thing about these people who are high in science curiosity,” he says. The more scientifically curious a person, the less likely they were to show partisan bias in answering questions. “They seem to be moving in lock-steps rather than polarizing as they became more science curious.”

Kahan is a member of the Yale Cultural Cognition Project. The Cultural Cognition Project is a group of scholars interested in studying how cultural values shape public risk perceptions and related policy beliefs. Cultural cognition refers to the tendency of individuals to conform their beliefs about disputed matters of fact (e.g., whether global warming is a serious threat; whether the death penalty deters murder; whether gun control makes society more safe or less) to values that define their cultural identities.
cultural cognition project - home

Kahan is a member of the Yale Cultural Cognition Project. The Cultural Cognition Project is a group of scholars interested in studying how cultural values shape public risk perceptions and related policy beliefs. Cultural cognition refers to the tendency of individuals to conform their beliefs about disputed matters of fact (e.g., whether global warming is a serious threat; whether the death penalty deters murder; whether gun control makes society more safe or less) to values that define their cultural identities.
cultural cognition project - home
I had a friend years ago that was both gay and a very succesfull psychiatrist. He told me that psychiatrist and psychologist were among the most screwed up people.

A Federal judge in Los Angeles has added another legal challenge to President Trump’s controversial suspension of travel from a group of predominantly Muslim countries, issuing an emergency order that forbids government officials from enforcing many of the new rules. 031125162233

Using sweeping, unambiguous language, U.S. District Judge Andre Birotte Jr. on Tuesday night granted a temporary restraining order against the executive order Trump signed late last week.

C3nLCJNUEAAgWdn.jpg

Trump doesn't care

A Federal judge in Los Angeles has added another legal challenge to President Trump’s controversial suspension of travel from a group of predominantly Muslim countries, issuing an emergency order that forbids government officials from enforcing many of the new rules. 031125162233

Using sweeping, unambiguous language, U.S. District Judge Andre Birotte Jr. on Tuesday night granted a temporary restraining order against the executive order Trump signed late last week.

View attachment 59718

Trump doesn't care..He's got all the attorney's and legal scholars he needs. He knows a lot of what he is advocating will be challenged by the courts....So what!..He's doing what he said he would do and if the courts and judge's rule against him then it's them that will get the flak..

The Trump administration has said it was “officially putting Iran on notice” in reaction to a Iranian missile test and an attack on a Saudi warship by Iranian-backed Houthi rebels in Yemen, but gave no details about how Washington intended to respond.

The threat was made on Wednesday by the national security adviser, Michael Flynn, in his first public statement since taking office.

Speaking in the White House briefing room, Flynn said the medium-range missile launch on Sunday and a Houthi attack on a Saudi frigate on Monday underlined Iran’s “destabilizing behavior across the Middle East.”.

I had a friend years ago that was both gay and a very succesfull psychiatrist. He told me that psychiatrist and psychologist were among the most screwed up people.
I believe it. I'd imagine personal experience/desire to understand pushes people towards that field.

Looks like Devos is at a 50/50 vote. Looks like mike pence' vote will be the deciding factor. So, which way will he vote?

The Trump administration wants to revamp and rename a U.S. government program designed to counter all violent ideologies so that it focuses solely on Islamist extremism, five people briefed on the matter told Reuters.

The program, "Countering Violent Extremism," or CVE, would be changed to "Countering Islamic Extremism" or "Countering Radical Islamic Extremism," the sources said, and would no longer target groups such as white supremacists who have also carried out bombings and shootings in the United States.

Had a hard time seeing that to read...But whoever it was got at least ONE thing right...You HAD better fix your educational system.....It's a joke....:(
See what happens when the man you trusted turns out to be a complete lunatic and you have to defend his delusional rants. I will repost it. Just got a new laptop. No worries, I'm all in. The last few days I have had to use my phone.

Why does it bother you so much to have other members disagree with you? Because deep down in side you know you are full of shit:) memes on the way! You had better have a better sense of humor that you are displaying.

Well you lost me here....I could care less if someone disagrees with me! on what?.. Are you thinking of anything in particular?
Who is ranting?... Everybody here seems to be ranting!
Why do you think I don't have a sense of humor?
And by the way our educational system IS a joke.:):)

In the first chaotic hours after the Quebec City mosque massacre, police detained two men: a French Canadian and one born in Morocco.

Plenty of outlets reported both arrests. But no one did it quite like Fox News.

The Canadian, Alexandre Bissonnette, was mentioned nowhere in Fox's tweet Monday, which announced: “Suspect in Quebec mosque terrorist attack was of Moroccan origin.”

Mohamed Belkhadir was quickly released and cleared of involvement, but Fox's tweet stayed up for nearly two days — until the Canadian prime minister's office wrote the outlet to demand a retraction.

Belkhadir later explained that he'd been trying to help people killed and wounded in the attack when police picked him up.