• ATTENTION New Members: Please take a few moments to introduce yourself, show your commitment to harm reduction, and chat with the community in the "New Member Introduction" subforum. This will help unlock access to additional forum features and privileges.

Would ADVAIR and/or FLONASE impact my HPTA negatively?

BigAk

My GP just wrote me a script for Advair and Flonase in order to combat my allergies. Since both meds have some sort of steroidal substances, Do they have any negative impact on my HPTA? This is very important to me as I have just recovered my HPTA, been feeling pretty well, and I don't want to take anything that may set me backwards. Please let me know before I embark on these meds.

BigAk said:
My GP just wrote me a script for Advair and Flonase in order to combat my allergies. Since both meds have some sort of steroidal substances, Do they have any negative impact on my HPTA? This is very important to me as I have just recovered my HPTA, been feeling pretty well, and I don't want to take anything that may set me backwards. Please let me know before I embark on these meds.

I don't believe that inhaled steroids would have a direct effect on your HPTA. But long-term use of inhaled steroids can suppress adrenal function, and we all know that underactive adrenals can negatively effect T level.

The steroids in the inhalers are antihistamines and like mentioned above can cause adrenal shutdown after long term use. Here are some other sides...

* increased appetite and weight gain
* deposits of fat in chest, face, upper back, and stomach
* water and salt retention leading to swelling and edema
* high blood pressure
* diabetes
* black and blue marks
* slowed healing of wounds
* osteoporosis
* cataracts
* acne
* muscle weakness
* thinning of the skin
* increased susceptibility to infection
* stomach ulcers
* increased sweating
* mood swings
* psychological problems such as depression
* adrenal suppression and crisis

advanced-stealth said:
The steroids in the inhalers are antihistamines and like mentioned above can cause adrenal shutdown after long term use. Here are some other sides...

* high blood pressure
* diabetes
* black and blue marks
* osteoporosis
* cataracts
* acne
* muscle weakness
* thinning of the skin
* stomach ulcers
* increased sweating
* mood swings

They are NOT antihistamines, they are corticosteroids/ bronchodialtor. Side effects are dose dependant. Systemic effects are usually low. I was used to use lots of inhalers/nebulizers. Asthma is very controlled with singulair. I only take the blue one when I am around heavy allergens/irritants (cats/dogs/smoke)

advanced-stealth said:

* high blood pressure
* diabetes
* black and blue marks
* osteoporosis
* cataracts
* acne
* muscle weakness
* thinning of the skin
* stomach ulcers
* increased sweating
* mood swings

Corticosteroids are not antihistamines. There use and their effects overlap some, but they are two different classes of substance.

Most authorities and studies indicqte that there is little long term effect on the HPTA. Ive seen one or two to the contrary. Ive been on them for 3 yrs. my skin is noticibly thinner, but there could be other factors involved. Its the oral (prednisone ) that will fuck you up.

zkt said:
Most authorities and studies indicqte that there is little long term effect on the HPTA. Ive seen one or two to the contrary. Ive been on them for 3 yrs. my skin is noticibly thinner, but there could be other factors involved. Its the oral (prednisone ) that will fuck you up.

But a prednisone blast can be a godsend when nothing else works.

keaster said:
They are NOT antihistamines, they are corticosteroids/ bronchodialtor. Side effects are dose dependant. Systemic effects are usually low. I was used to use lots of inhalers/nebulizers. Asthma is very controlled with singulair. I only take the blue one when I am around heavy allergens/irritants (cats/dogs/smoke)

That's great that the singulair works so well for you. It is very expensive and a disappointment for most adults - although kids tend to get a good result from it.

"But a prednisone blast can be a godsend when nothing else works."
No doubt about that or sure. I was meaning the long term effects. Good to note thge distinguition
INow that you mention Singulair, I take it and have ben wondering how much good it is relly doing. Might stop it for a while and see what happens.
". It is very expensive" - you know who to thank for that dont you? . Its a good thing I went to Nam instead of Canada. LOL (cant beat the VA prices)

advanced-stealth said:
Here are some other sides...

* high blood pressure
* diabetes
* black and blue marks
* osteoporosis
* cataracts
* acne
* muscle weakness
* thinning of the skin
* stomach ulcers
* increased sweating
* mood swings

Hmmmm....... My chronic cough is sounding better and better lemme tell you... LOL

Depends on how much the breathing problem fucks you up. Try em and see if its better. The long term effects arent much when compared to not being able to do what you want. to do. You didnt say how bad is the problem. So how bad ?

BigAk said:
So what's the consensus?? Shall I use 'em.. or lose 'em??

You said this was for allergies, meaning use will probably be occasional or seasonal. To me, that would be OK. This stuff has a way of turning into long-term, regular use, though. So be mindful of that. If the symptoms are tolerable, as it seems they might be, why complicate the picture?

Nasal-crom is a pretty good non-steroid nasal spray. The downside is that you need to use more often than a corticosteroid like flonase.

My issue is not that severe.... I just can't seem to shake this persistent cough that sometimes it's pretty bad.... It's as if something is not getting cleared in my lungs... I've been like this since Mid December. I don't predict this will be a life long issue as I'm 40 now and never experienced it. Besides, allergies here in the south east are pretty bad due to the blooming trees and pollen etc... so this could be seasonal.. I may try the stuff for a little while and see.. Once I start experiencing bad sides, I'll quit.

Sounds like chronic bronchitus to me. Which is probably not a revelation Do you smoke ? Funny if its allergen induced it stared when the pollens are a low. But heat ducts are full of stuff. Is the cough productive or the dry hacking kind?

zkt said:
Sounds like chronic bronchitus to me. Which is probably not a revelation Do you smoke ? Funny if its allergen induced it stared when the pollens are a low. But heat ducts are full of stuff. Is the cough productive or the dry hacking kind?
Dry hacking kind..... Doctor put me on an anti-biotic course in Dec which did not help at all. I don't smoke btw.

Could be all kinds of things. Long time to have a cough. . Chest x-ray wouldnt hurt but thats just my $.02 Hope it works out ok

BigAk said:
My issue is not that severe.... I just can't seem to shake this persistent cough that sometimes it's pretty bad.... It's as if something is not getting cleared in my lungs... I've been like this since Mid December. I don't predict this will be a life long issue as I'm 40 now and never experienced it. Besides, allergies here in the south east are pretty bad due to the blooming trees and pollen etc... so this could be seasonal.. I may try the stuff for a little while and see.. Once I start experiencing bad sides, I'll quit.

I would drop the flonase. Using it with advair may increase the systemic effects of the corticosteroids. I once used both and felt like shit the whole time. Once I dropped flonase I felt fine. If you think it could be an allergen, try an antihistamine along with the advair. Other than that its up to you. Unless there are some complete, peer reviewed studies that show an effect on the HPTA, I would go for it.

cpeil2 said:
That's great that the singulair works so well for you. It is very expensive and a disappointment for most adults - although kids tend to get a good result from it.

Not to be rude or anything, but do you have any concrete evidence of that (aritcles, stuides etc). I would like to read them.

BigAk said:
Dry hacking kind..... Doctor put me on an anti-biotic course in Dec which did not help at all. I don't smoke btw.
I use Flonase been on it for yrs. I do 2 puffs in each side 2x's a day. Neve felt better until I went on cortef 5mgs. 4 x's a day now no breathing problems or dry hacking.