• ATTENTION New Members: Please take a few moments to introduce yourself, show your commitment to harm reduction, and chat with the community in the "New Member Introduction" subforum. This will help unlock access to additional forum features and privileges.

Children with autism

Wonderful!! With the right speech therapist, they'll show him how to communicate and how to channel his feeling. His aggression will lessen as he's able to tell you want he wants or need. We get frustrated when people we're talking too, don't listen to us (doesn't that ring a bell about our wife :)). Again, don't expect miracles or that he'll act normal like the other kids. His communication will be totally different then you and I. But it will be something you and your wife will understand.. IMO, that's the only thing that matters is you to understand him.

Well Jr finally started his speech therapy. He has gone to his evaluation and had a session last week. I realize that it will take time but I have pretty high hopes for the program that he is in. He will also be getting a referral to an occupational therapist as well to help him better cope with some of his sensory issues. It really feels good to get the ball rolling on everything. I finally feel like he is starting to get the help that he needs to be happy and more comfortable in this world. Im pretty ecstatic about everything just got to keep putting in the work and effort as well.

Things are progressing nicely, the speech therapy is starting to kick in. We can see him associating pictures with words more, he even said his little sisters name which was very cool. He will be starting occupational therapy in May for sensory issues. Sleeping is still a nightmare but still working on it @CAswole @gr8whitetrukker, hope your kids and family are doing well.

Things are progressing nicely, the speech therapy is starting to kick in. We can see him associating pictures with words more, he even said his little sisters name which was very cool. He will be starting occupational therapy in May for sensory issues. Sleeping is still a nightmare but still working on it @CAswole @gr8whitetrukker, hope your kids and family are doing well.
Yes brother all is well. Very happy to hear of his progress.

Cramps, you're on the exact right path, one I went through with my daughter over 20 years ago. She just got her own apartment and is living on her own, it's a long , difficult, rewarding path, filled with a lot of love

Cramps, you're on the exact right path, one I went through with my daughter over 20 years ago. She just got her own apartment and is living on her own, it's a long , difficult, rewarding path, filled with a lot of love
I'm happy things are moving along, the only problem I am seeing is the wait for these programs and it concerns me that in other parts of the country that the wait for these programs are even worse. I'd like to see a more streamlined system for children who are diagnosed with autism and behavioral issues because it seems early detection and quick programming are keys to success.

I'm happy things are moving along, the only problem I am seeing is the wait for these programs and it concerns me that in other parts of the country that the wait for these programs are even worse. I'd like to see a more streamlined system for children who are diagnosed with autism and behavioral issues because it seems early detection and quick programming are keys to success.
We were very fortunate, that in NYS the level of services for these kids is very good. One good thing about living in this state.

Just wanted to say hi to everyone especially @CAswole and @gr8whitetrukker Hope your families are doing well. So the speech therapy is starting to pay off. It's really wonderful to hear Jr start to say more words and communicate better. Still a long road of course but it's still really special to me and his mother. We also just had the evaluation for his se sensory issues and are starting that session regularly next week Really it's nice to have the ball rolling at this point in the right direction

I just got my kid a bb gun for christmas. You know how these kids work. Hyper fixated on shit they like. Hes doing well with it and is a pretty good shot! Im gonna try to introduce a .22 next year when he turns 12. See how that goes. Get him down that path instead of fucking videogames. Hes a fucking videogame nut and it bothers me. He wont even drink or eat you know. Just hyper fixated on the task at hand. Gotta remind him to drink cuz he will go dry and tore up lips and he wont eat unless you remind him. Gotta steer that concentration toward the good stuff! Normal kids dont concentrate like that. Einstein was like that. And bill gates too

Yeah, Bill Gates has some kind of issues - I was friends with a very senior MSFT exec and he said that (in meetings with Gates) he would rock back and forth, back and forth, in his chair in a fairly disturbing way. Not that anyone would comment on it to Gates face.

I've dealt with some people who experienced this. I'll say personally what I think is most important is 1) To never make them feel like an outcast/inferior. Gotta be open about their health and who they are and that the "condition" they have is OK. No one is perfect and we all deal with stuff. Respect them as individuals. 2) It's definitely not a ticket to act like a piece of shit. Many parents in these situations let their is misbehave and don't teach them properly. They believe they shouldn't discipline their child because they're "special". This couldn't be further from the truth. These conditions mean that you will have to be more patient than a typical parent and they'll have to put in more effort. But improper parenting will never lead to good outcomes.

Tldr: Most people on the spectrum aren't complete bumbling retards incapable of thought. Show respect and discipline.

I've dealt with some people who experienced this. I'll say personally what I think is most important is 1) To never make them feel like an outcast/inferior. Gotta be open about their health and who they are and that the "condition" they have is OK. No one is perfect and we all deal with stuff. Respect them as individuals. 2) It's definitely not a ticket to act like a piece of shit. Many parents in these situations let their is misbehave and don't teach them properly. They believe they shouldn't discipline their child because they're "special". This couldn't be further from the truth. These conditions mean that you will have to be more patient than a typical parent and they'll have to put in more effort. But improper parenting will never lead to good outcomes.

Tldr: Most people on the spectrum aren't complete bumbling retards incapable of thought. Show respect and discipline.
I could not agree more. I think the key to it is recognizing the disorder early and then take appropriate steps to give the child or the individual the best chance to better understand themselves so they can lead a decent healthy life. We finally got our son into occupational therapy for his sensory issues. So far I believe it will be helpful and I like the parent involvement.

My son isnt Autistic but he has ADHD , ticks and ocd , and its really hard to watch he cry’s at night because he can’t stop ticking .... he’s 10

My son isnt Autistic but he has ADHD , ticks and ocd , and its really hard to watch he cry’s at night because he can’t stop ticking .... he’s 10
It's always rough when we have to watch our kids suffer. As parents we just want to be able to fix it and make them happy. Unfortunately it isn't always so simple. Do you have him in therapy or anything like that. I'm glad you posted here. I'd like to see this thread open up to talking about any behavioral disorders or mental health as well.

It's always rough when we have to watch our kids suffer. As parents we just want to be able to fix it and make them happy. Unfortunately it isn't always so simple. Do you have him in therapy or anything like that. I'm glad you posted here. I'd like to see this thread open up to talking about any behavioral disorders or mental health as well.
Ya we did he was also on meds but recently has been refusing to take them and its getting bad again ... so im going to have to force him to take them... don’t like doing that tho

Ya we did he was also on meds but recently has been refusing to take them and its getting bad again ... so im going to have to force him to take them... don’t like doing that tho
That's a rough one my friend. I only know a little about ADHD is there any alternatives for the disorder instead of medications? It is definitely something I'm going to read up on because some of my reading on autism says that some autistic children have ADHD as well.

SPARK

Just found this. Gonna talk it over with my wife.
Says autism is a gene the effected one is missing. And their service is apparantly free to help you find out which one is missing.