Ancestry results and tailored diets/training/etc…

Country Club Hero

10+ Year Member
So I’m not super informed on how these DNA services work but after years of really battling personally about it I finally got my kit and sent my sample in.

Obviously there’s the ancestor matching aspect of these services that is intriguing. I think it’s super cool if I were to find out I was related to Billy the Kid or some other famous or infamous historical figure. But this post is more about using the data for future performance enhancement purposes.

The possibilities seem rather endless to me but I ain’t too bright, admittedly. But everything from how we process fruit sugars to tolerating side effects to diseases and drugs used to treat them is available information with your individual DNA laid out, correct? And so much more?

Idk, I’m just wondering what all is possible as far as tailoring our individual lives based on what we discover in our DNA results.

Which service did you use?

Looks interesting. I've seen a few gene testing companies focus on nutrition / exercise / performance e.g. MyGenxDNA, Geneus, iVitalize:

Which service did you use?

Looks interesting. I've seen a few gene testing companies focus on nutrition / exercise / performance e.g. MyGenxDNA, Geneus, iVitalize:

23andMe when on sale for $99, then upload to prometheus

> MyGenxDNA, Geneus, iVitalize:
overpriced crap that have less info than SNPedia

So I’m not super informed on how these DNA services work but after years of really battling personally about it I finally got my kit and sent my sample in.

Obviously there’s the ancestor matching aspect of these services that is intriguing. I think it’s super cool if I were to find out I was related to Billy the Kid or some other famous or infamous historical figure. But this post is more about using the data for future performance enhancement purposes.

The possibilities seem rather endless to me but I ain’t too bright, admittedly. But everything from how we process fruit sugars to tolerating side effects to diseases and drugs used to treat them is available information with your individual DNA laid out, correct? And so much more?

Idk, I’m just wondering what all is possible as far as tailoring our individual lives based on what we discover in our DNA results.

You can download your raw genetic data from 23 and me, then upload it to a number of services for specialized analysis. The nice thing about this is after acquiring your "master file", as the science continues to develop you can do more and more with the same data.

Genopalate for instance, will take that data and develop a very specific, optimized diet based on genetics, your current health markers, and whatever your goals are.

Other highly specialized services can even determine the relative rate at which you metabolize testosterone and other hormones.

Other highly specialized services can even determine the relative rate at which you metabolize testosterone and other hormones.

I used Color genetic testing and discovered for example that I have the allele for CYP1A2 (a liver enzyme) that makes me a fast metabolizer of caffeine and certain other hormones.

There are some well known genes with alleles that point to specific conditions. APOE for example will reveal an increased risk of alzheimer's for certain combinations. My recollection is that there's only a small set of these that are well known. The testing that Color did revealed that I was in a normal risk bucket for all the things that were well known, genes for certain cancers, cardiovascular risk etc.

My takeaway was that it didn't help much and with the information I have, there's not much I can do to tailor my routine to my specific genetics. I picked the one gene to rabbit hole on, that being CYP1A2 and couldn't come up with any reliable information about how I should or shouldn't modify things.

23andMe when on sale for $99, then upload to prometheus

> MyGenxDNA, Geneus, iVitalize:
overpriced crap that have less info than SNPedia
People need to read the fine print on these discount DNA testing services like 23andMe (Owned by Bezos and his ex wife)

They OWN your results, testing and can sell to whomever. (Which they do) They are also cataloguing and using to link relatives to your results.

Given history’s poor use of information, law enforcement already having database access…

Strongly advise people don’t do this. Research

People need to read the fine print on these discount DNA testing services like 23andMe (Owned by Bezos and his ex wife)

They OWN your results, testing and can sell to whomever. (Which they do) They are also cataloguing and using to link relatives to your results.

Given history’s poor use of information, law enforcement already having database access…

x2

Submitting your DNA and genome sequencing to a third party company that can release your data to other companies and agencies. what's the worst that can happen?

Dumb idea

I share the same skepticism, but having the info is definitely one of those "shiny objects" I'd like to chase.

If only there were a privacy-minded third party that collected DNA samples.

I used Color genetic testing and discovered for example that I have the allele for CYP1A2 (a liver enzyme) that makes me a fast metabolizer of caffeine and certain other hormones.

There are some well known genes with alleles that point to specific conditions. APOE for example will reveal an increased risk of alzheimer's for certain combinations. My recollection is that there's only a small set of these that are well known. The testing that Color did revealed that I was in a normal risk bucket for all the things that were well known, genes for certain cancers, cardiovascular risk etc.

My takeaway was that it didn't help much and with the information I have, there's not much I can do to tailor my routine to my specific genetics. I picked the one gene to rabbit hole on, that being CYP1A2 and couldn't come up with any reliable information about how I should or shouldn't modify things.

Putting this info into context and to practical use as an individual is a challenge. AI will make short work of it in a few years.

For now, if I were prescribed a new med, I'd check it against the list of substances I'm a fast/slow metabolizer for.

Right now dosages are assigned very crudely, rarely with regard to something. even as straightforward as weight.

So as a practical example:

CYP1A2 indicates you're a fast metabolizer of cyclobenzaprine, a common muscle relaxer. I've had it prescribed for intense back pain. If you need it you'd definately want it to be effective asap, but it's strong so doctors start conservatively to avoid turning you into jello.

Here are the dosing instructions:

IMG_8824.jpeg

Notice "some" adults may need 30mg (vs the standard 15mg) for the desired effect.

I'd bring the CYP1A2 results to my doctors attention in the hopes they'd prescribe me enough so I could quickly titrate up to 30mg if necessary, or at least not resist prescribing me the higher dose over the phone without another appointment leaving me to suffer longer than necessary.

Otherwise, without the context you provide, they may view it as "drug seeking behavior" and be resistant to give you what you really need.

Last edited:
DNA privacy is already gone.

In the US 90%+ of Americans are quickly identifiable via "familial DNA" comparison searches of available data from private and government databases, which do not require warrants, incidentally, assuming they don't already have your DNA from being arrested, a veteran, working for law enforcement, etc.

If your concern is something worse than just identification, genome reconstruction is possible via systems that require the DNA from a couple of close relatives, even corpses (genomic sequencing is becoming routine during autopsies, not requiring special permission as it's for "research"), which can then be used to reconstruct the genome of another relative, and so on.

Like I tell my friends who harbor middle class survivlist fantasies, if you think things are going to get that bad, your only chance is to establish a foothold somewhere else with a golden passport or at least a little condo that gives you residency, not holing up with your AR and palet of Costco freeze dried food.

Last edited:
So as a practical example:

This is a reasonable example, at least in the sense that knowing the list of compounds one may be a fast metabolizer for, but there are so many other variables that influence the pharmacokinetics that it’s hard to establish any rules of thumb.

I was prescribed cyclobenzaprine last year. My recollection is that it was 15mg and worked fine, though im not sure about the duration. I dove deep on a couple of compounds, some hormones in particular, melatonin being one of them and couldn’t come up with anything definitive.

A GLP1 RA that slows gastric emptying can also influence pharmacokinetics in unpredictable ways.

I forgot about Promethease
I used 23 and me and Promethease in the past. Interesting information. I know the amount of data and accuracy is getting better all the time. Maybe I should check it again to see.

Most of what I saw was good except I had four or five gene sequences putting me at high risk for heart disease. The top two were something like 16 times higher chance of heart disease/attack and 10 times higher chance of disease/heart. Both sides my family are riddled with heart disease, heart attacks, bypass surgeries, and death from heart attacks. Pretty wild that their software was able to pinpoint that in my genetics. Seems reasonably accurate for me.

Sounds a bit paranoid. What do you think they could do with your genetic information?

I'm familiar with some of the common genetic dietary links such as certain groups not processing alcohol well, certain groups not doing well with higher carbohydrate diets and being more prone to diabetes and things like that. I haven't kept up on this topic though. Is there much validity to hone in your diet based on genetics?

- They only need the DNA of a distant relative to figure out who you are.

- You're leaving your DNA everywhere you go.

- It's not a full sequence, it's about 0.0001% of your DNA. Just the popular SNPs.

No. That isn’t a fully accurate summation.

Go research. Numerous examples of Law Enforcement cold files being pinged on the database when someone or their relative takes the testing.

As for paranoid. Yes.

The govt isn’t in bed with big Pharma, the medical community, or insurance companies and they aren’t coming for your guns or trying to curb free speech either….

Wait….

No. That isn’t a fully accurate summation.

Go research. Numerous examples of Law Enforcement cold files being pinged on the database when someone or their relative takes the testing.

As for paranoid. Yes.

The govt isn’t in bed with big Pharma, the medical community, or insurance companies and they aren’t coming for your guns or trying to curb free speech either….

Wait….

Not so sure they're in bed with "Big Pharma". I'm a fan of Big Pharma tbh. They throw tens of billions of private money down the toilet every year pursuing the rare blockbuster, get monopoly pricing on a new drug for a few years, then it becomes available for any generic drug maker to produce and sell it at the lowest price possible from then on. The Soviet model didn't come up with many pharmaceutical innovations.

As for the rest, if you're not going to be able to keep the right to bear arms and free speech at the ballot box, it's even less likely you'll be able to keep them by any other means, including hiding your DNA.

Golden Passport.

I feel like dna is a scam.
james bond deal with it GIF