Anyone else like fiction books?

MFAAS

AnabolicLab.com Supporter
What fiction books do you read?

When I was younger starting in 5th grade/middle school, I read a lot of fiction books. I would LOVE when my parents would take me to Barnes and Nobles for an hour or so and I could look at all the books and magazines.. I was a nerd that played video games, watched anime, and sometimes would get SUPER into a good book and want to read it all day. This still happens lol. I will take my kindle and read while I am on the elliptical, or even read between some sets while lifting (the less hard/warmup ones, with a timer on so I don't lose track of time--better that than look at instagram and feel like shit about my body). When I read on the elliptical I can easily run for an hour and still not want to stop, because stopping running means I have to put the book down lol...

As a kid I read every book in the Ender's Game series 3 or 4 times over. I also read the side story books about Bean, which were really good. I probably read Enders game 5 times actually. Harry Potter was incredible. I remember my dad reading the first few to me when I was a kid, then I read them all as an adult (read the full series twice). I also read some Manga series' as a hormonal teenager I think as a freshman in high school or something (I read all of Love Hina LOL).

I read through Game of Thrones, though some parts were a little boring to get through, I still definitely enjoyed it. I did read them after the show came out. I wouldn't read them a second time. I also think George wrote himself into a corner with the story. The show was his shot at redemption--to make the story better and correct some of the mistakes he made with the characters. I mean the shit that happened at the end of the last book with Sam was just weird, it seemed like he was about to introduce magic in the 5th book of the series. Lady Catelyn just became a stupid character, emotionless and cold from being brought back from the dead, there was nothing interesting about her. Overall I enjoyed it, but honestly I won't rush to pick up the next book if he ever finishes it.

I have become a huge Brandon Sanderson fan. I absolutely love the creative magic systems he comes up with. He is one of the best worldbuilders out there and the way he writes action and fight scenes is just riveting, you can't stop reading. I'll be dozing off in bed at night, fighting to stay awake and just dying to make it to the next page lol. The Mistborn series and the side series was awesome and the first one of his I read a couple years back. I recently discovered the Stormlight series and I got the first one in March then since May 6th I have read books 2 and 3 and just started the 4th one yesterday. I have read them all back to back and am going to be dying for the 5th one to come out as it is not expected until Autumn 2023 :(. Holy shit the Stormlight series is fucking amazing. I absolutely love it. Every character is just fascinating and so powerful. Thankfully he has plenty of other books he has to hold me over until then.

The Silo series by Hugh Howey was really good too. I enjoyed it a lot. Definitely worth checking out. Well written with lots of twists that you don't see coming. I got the "Shift Omnibus Edition" which combines all 9 short stories into 3 concise books. Definitely worth checking out.

The Lightbringer series was also really good when I read it. I think I read the first 4 but never picked up the last one. I sort of lost interest by the end.

That is a few of the ones that stand out over the years. There's been more. I dragonlance books were really good as far as I remember, but I was in middle school when I was reading them so they definitely could be not nearly as good as I remember

Anyway. What books do y'all enjoy?

With books I usually have two modes. I either have months where I read nothing at all, or I start too many at the same time out of excitement.

I watched The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (US version), and got hooked. Really liked Lisbeth (protagonist). So I bought the trilogy, and started reading the first book. Got my hands on Hyperion by Dan Simmons, but haven't started it yet.

I haven't read any book from Sanderson, but I've watched some lectures of his on youtube. They were enjoyable.

I read Way of Kings back in 2012 and have had to wait impatiently for each of the next books in Stormlight Archive. It's in my top 3 favorite series. I'd recommend Warbreaker as well as it ties into Stormlight Archive.

With books I usually have two modes. I either have months where I read nothing at all, or I start too many at the same time out of excitement.

I watched The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (US version), and got hooked. Really liked Lisbeth (protagonist). So I bought the trilogy, and started reading the first book. Got my hands on Hyperion by Dan Simmons, but haven't started it yet.

I haven't read any book from Sanderson, but I've watched some lectures of his on youtube. They were enjoyable.
I read Hyperion a while back, that was good! It was several years ago so I forgot about it, but yeah that was excellent.

I read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series and definitely enjoyed it. The books were for sure better than the movies for sure.

I read Way of Kings back in 2012 and have had to wait impatiently for each of the next books in Stormlight Archive. It's in my top 3 favorite series. I'd recommend Warbreaker as well as it ties into Stormlight Archive.
Yeah once I finish the 4th book here I am going to read the side-series he wrote, Edgedancer, and Dawnshard.

You should for sure check out the Mistborn series too. The main story arc and then the Wax and Wayne series are both awesome.

When i was alot younger i loved the hardy boys and goosebumps. now i dont do much fiction reading. read some good nonnfiction though. Years ago i tried reading clear and present danger. I found tom clancy goes into so much detail of individual characters that by the time i got to the part where the characters start coming together, i forgot who they were. i felt like i had to take notes.

I used to average a novel a week but haven't read much the past year... I used to think fiction was a waste of time because I'm more interested in learning something from a non fiction book. However, I tried a fiction book a few years ago and really enjoyed it... Still tend to learn quite a bit from modern fiction books and there's something very mentally healthy with reading from a mindfulness/wellness aspect.

I tend to skew towards murder mystery. The series from cowriters Preston/Childs is excellent. I like the Three Body Problem books but haven't read the third yet... They're very long but good reads. Kind of hard to get through at times because they're translates from Chinese. Definitely worth a look though, alien invasion story. I read the Dragon Tattoo books a while back too... Really good, loved the English movie too. Pretty dark though.. can only read about rapey murders so much before it's enough. Too many others to list.

I've been reading books since I was a kid and lately have amassed a collection of Tom Clancy's books as well as John Grisham's. My favorite genres are action and mystery.

As a kid I had nearly every book in the Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew series till I handed them down to my youngest cousin after I outgrew the collection.

I really like the Harry Bosch series by Michael Connelly. I also really enjoy the jack reacher series. Both have a lot of books I'm the series. Currently looking for another character series to get into

My Kindle has been demanding I buy those for a while... I couldn't really get into the Bosch TV show during quarantine but the Reacher series looked good. Sometimes the TV versions of books ruin the book for me...

My Kindle has been demanding I buy those for a while... I couldn't really get into the Bosch TV show during quarantine but the Reacher series looked good. Sometimes the TV versions of books ruin the book for me...
Yeah, I read them all prior to the series. I actually really like the show as well. The reacher movies on the other hand I am not a fan of. Tom Cruz was a terrible casting choice for reacher. He's supposed to be 6'5" and 250#'s

I used to read a shitload... a book a day, until med school made me hate books with passion. Probably read thousands of books. Knew Harry Potter books word by word, just because I kept running out of books to read, so I kept rereading them ever since I was just a little kid. Loved the classics like JRR Tolkien too.

My long term favorites are Murakami's books - mostly Wild Sheep Chase and Heller's Catch XXII. I strongly recommend them and I feel they influenced my world view.

Recently I've been enjoying audiobooks when driving - a lot of old school classics like Asimov etc. We have some 80-90s audiobooks in my native(ish) language and I find them to be excellent pieces of art done with passion. Also, they don't make me speed like classic music does so I don't total my cars as much.

Aragon series was/is my favorite!!! Once I started the first book I could not stop until I had read them all!!! There was another series of books that they made a movie off.of.. wjere you picked a faction and had to compete tonearn.your spot in said faction. I drawing a huge blank on the name/title of.the books and the movie.. regardless.those book were also very very good..
I also enjoy almost all of Tom Clancy books..I've read alot of fiction/nonfiction military/actions books.. always enjoyed.the deep dark story lines!!!

Yeah once I finish the 4th book here I am going to read the side-series he wrote, Edgedancer, and Dawnshard.

You should for sure check out the Mistborn series too. The main story arc and then the Wax and Wayne series are both awesome.

I've read all the Mistborn books too. Supposedly going to be a 7th book at some point. I read the Skyward books as well when I was on a Brandon Sanderson kick along with Elantris.

After Robert Jordan died he finished the last few Wheel of Time books. Worth a read also. A few other series I've enjoyed recently are Realm of the Elderlings by Robin Hobb, The First Law by Joe Abercrombie, and The Kingkiller Chronicle by Patrick Rothfuss.

Aragon series was/is my favorite!!! Once I started the first book I could not stop until I had read them all!!! There was another series of books that they made a movie off.of.. wjere you picked a faction and had to compete tonearn.your spot in said faction. I drawing a huge blank on the name/title of.the books and the movie.. regardless.those book were also very very good..
I also enjoy almost all of Tom Clancy books..I've read alot of fiction/nonfiction military/actions books.. always enjoyed.the deep dark story lines!!!

The Aragon books were really good. It was a shame they botched the movies so bad.

I've read all the Mistborn books too. Supposedly going to be a 7th book at some point. I read the Skyward books as well when I was on a Brandon Sanderson kick along with Elantris.

After Robert Jordan died he finished the last few Wheel of Time books. Worth a read also. A few other series I've enjoyed recently are Realm of the Elderlings by Robin Hobb, The First Law by Joe Abercrombie, and The Kingkiller Chronicle by Patrick Rothfuss.

I haven't heard of the Realm of the Elderlings, I will look into that. I couldn't really get into The First Law series. I did really enjoy The Kingkiller Chronicle books. I wonder if he will ever finish them? I kinda feel like he wrote himself into a corner, I have no idea where the heck the book could go from where it left off! lol

There's definitely other's I have enjoyed too.
- The Hobbit was good.
- Ready Player One was a great book
- The Night Angel trilogy by Brent Weeks was also very enjoyable when I read it a few years back. A lot of stealth and action in it. I enjoyed Brent Weeks as an author quite a bit!
- Children of Time and Children of Ruin were really cool. Much of the book is written from the perspective of a superintelligent race of spiders and it's just an awesome and unique read!
- The Martian was a great book
- Those are just my kindle books. I have a ton of actual books stashed away that I read a long time back.
- The Pastwatch series by Orson Scott Card was really awesome! I really hope he picks the series up again because it was just really really cool.
- A Planet Called Treason by Orson Scott Card was a super great standalone read too. I might've read the revised version that is just called "Treason", I don't recall.

So yeah, there is another big list of books from throughout the years.

For the last several years I read mostly all nonfiction, but now that I picked up The Stormlight Archive I am really enjoying it :)

My long term favorites are Murakami's books - mostly Wild Sheep Chase and Heller's Catch XXII. I strongly recommend them and I feel they influenced my world view.

Those look like good ones, I will add them to my list for sure.

Anything by Stephen King is well worth it and I have the Dark Tower series which is darn worth the read!

I used to read a shitload... a book a day, until med school made me hate books with passion. Probably read thousands of books. Knew Harry Potter books word by word, just because I kept running out of books to read, so I kept rereading them ever since I was just a little kid. Loved the classics like JRR Tolkien too.

Recently I've been enjoying audiobooks when driving - a lot of old school classics like Asimov etc. We have some 80-90s audiobooks in my native(ish) language and I find them to be excellent pieces of art done with passion. Also, they don't make me speed like classic music does so I don't total my cars as much.

The Foundation novels from Asimov were excellent.

Havnt read much lately, too busy.
But I love a good Sci Fi or Fantasy novel
The Elenium trilogy was good.
Horus heresy novels are hit and miss depending on the writer, but the setting is excellent

Also, I find reading (books that it is) to be an expensive hobby to do frequently. I like the experience of reading the book. Even the smell of a "fresh" one. But, my wallet isn't a big fan of it. So sometimes I download the pdf version and read it virtually.

I mostly read the classics and a bit of fantasy when I’m in the mood.

If you haven’t read them, David Eddings’ “The Belgariad” and “The Malloreon” series are both pretty awesome. I thoroughly enjoyed both.

“The Deathgate Cycle” series by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman is likewise very good.

Back