Anyone else like fiction books?

A few other series I've enjoyed recently are Realm of the Elderlings by Robin Hobb, The First Law by Joe Abercrombie, and The Kingkiller Chronicle by Patrick Rothfuss.
The first law fucks. Joe Abercrombie is a fantastic author.

my favorite series is the Malazan book of the fallen by Steven Erickson. The author was an anthropologist is able to write a really well thought out and rich universe + fucking amazing characters. This is the type of series where once I finished all 10 books I just felt kinda empty for a while knowing there were no more, but in the best way possible

I mostly read the classics and a bit of fantasy when I’m in the mood.

If you haven’t read them, David Eddings’ “The Belgariad” and “The Malloreon” series are both pretty awesome. I thoroughly enjoyed both.

“The Deathgate Cycle” series by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman is likewise very good.

Loved those
Great books

The first law fucks. Joe Abercrombie is a fantastic author.

my favorite series is the Malazan book of the fallen by Steven Erickson. The author was an anthropologist is able to write a really well thought out and rich universe + fucking amazing characters. This is the type of series where once I finished all 10 books I just felt kinda empty for a while knowing there were no more, but in the best way possible

I got the first two audiobooks a couple weeks ago and ended up stopping because I felt really lost. Then I read a bunch of reviews and decided I'll give it another try soon. Just felt really lost. Like I got dropped into the middle of a story with no explanation and it just kept referencing stuff I didn't get. But like I said it gets such high praise I feel I need to revisit it. Do things make more sense later?

Also, I find reading (books that it is) to be an expensive hobby to do frequently. I like the experience of reading the book. Even the smell of a "fresh" one. But, my wallet isn't a big fan of it. So sometimes I download the pdf version and read it virtually.
I love a fresh book too. Since I got my kindle it is rare that I buy something soft/hardcover though. I got a new one last fall for black Friday. My old one was like 12 years old (literally like kindle gen 3 that my grandma gave me lol).
The Foundation novels from Asimov were excellent.

Havnt read much lately, too busy.
But I love a good Sci Fi or Fantasy novel
The Elenium trilogy was good.
Horus heresy novels are hit and miss depending on the writer, but the setting is excellent
I have heard of the Foundation series a couple times, I don't think I ever read it? Maybe in like middle school...I really can'tremember for sure, but I think I haven't.. I will have to add it to my list and check out Elenium too!

I enjoyed some of the "Dragonlance" books which are fantasy books. The Chronicles and Dragonlance Legends (which were the first 6 released) were the only ones I read, but they were very good. Interesting characters and solid stories.

I got the first two audiobooks a couple weeks ago and ended up stopping because I felt really lost. Then I read a bunch of reviews and decided I'll give it another try soon. Just felt really lost. Like I got dropped into the middle of a story with no explanation and it just kept referencing stuff I didn't get. But like I said it gets such high praise I feel I need to revisit it. Do things make more sense later?
I can't do fiction audiobooks, I end up tuning out or getting distracted for a couple minutes and feel like I lost too much. Nonfiction audiobooks are great though. For a long time I just read/listened to self improvement, business, and real estate books. I'm glad I recently got back into fiction though!

Will for sure check that out! Thanks!

I can't do fiction audiobooks, I end up tuning out or getting distracted for a couple minutes and feel like I lost too much. Nonfiction audiobooks are great though. For a long time I just read/listened to self improvement, business, and real estate books. I'm glad I recently got back into fiction though!

I listen to those too. Currently listening to one on real estate. A few hours of those in between the fiction books. I drive 2000+ miles a week for work, so no choice but audiobooks at the moment.

That’s pretty much how the author operates. He’ll drop you right in the middle of shit going on, and you get your bearings as the story goes on.
To be fair, it IS pretty sprawling, with 10 books with 1000+ pages each, so the character count can add up and you forget stuff over time because there’s just so much damn material.
I would give it another try if I were you, but like someone else said, I have a better time with print material. And if you still don’t like it, hey, not everything is for everyone

I listen to those too. Currently listening to one on real estate. A few hours of those in between the fiction books. I drive 2000+ miles a week for work, so no choice but audiobooks at the moment.
For real estate, I would wholeheartedly recommend basically any of the BiggerPockets books EXCEPT The Book on Flipping Houses. You'd want to get a physical copy of that. That should be treated more like a textbook, like light stuff, mark pages with sticker tabs, take notes on your computer or whatever...it's very nuanced

I am gonna make a separate thread for nonfiction actually. But I would for sure recommend "Set For Life" by Scott Trench. That is a really good book that can change the trajectory of your life and how you treat your money and your living situation/expenses. I'll tell you this: I house hacked a duplex for the last 3.5 years and holy shit it is the best thing I have ever done, financially speaking!

1984, George Orwell
Fahrenheit 451, Ray Bradberry
Anthem, Ayn Rand
For Whom The Bell Tolls, Ernest Hemingway
Lord of the Rings, Tolkien
Anything in the Jack Reacher series, Lee Child
Just about anything by Michael Connelly
By The Rivers of Babylon, Nelson DeMille
The Godfather, Mario Puzo (actually better than the film)

1984, George Orwell
Fahrenheit 451, Ray Bradberry
Anthem, Ayn Rand
For Whom The Bell Tolls, Ernest Hemingway
Lord of the Rings, Tolkien
Anything in the Jack Reacher series, Lee Child
Just about anything by Michael Connelly
By The Rivers of Babylon, Nelson DeMille
The Godfather, Mario Puzo (actually better than the film)
How could I have forgotten LOTR?1 I literally have the 3 book set on my bookshelf, front facing towards me right now. lol. I totally second George Orwell and Farenheit 451 (IMO they botched the movie Fahrenheit 451--it was okay but not great)

I read the Godfather as well, it was too deep for me at the time (I was a freshman/sophomore in High School and alot of it just didn't resonate with me). I should try that again at some point. Funnily enough I went to Bar Vitelli in Sicily and got to enjoy some wonderful house-made grappa there. One of the ladies that was in the movie in the Bar Vitelli scene (I think she was a waitress or something, I really can't remember) was still working there. She must've been in her late 80s or 90s by then. She had photos of her with the cast of the movie and all that, it was pretty cool! The atmosphere of the bar is truly incredible. I tell ya, the costline cities of Europe have some restaurant/bar atmospheres that you just can't find anywhere else. Nothing like sitting on a cliffside overlooking the Mediterranean, enjoying a drink and some classic, homemade food with locally sources ingredients.

Ive read the most of the storm light archive, elantris. A few of the wheel of time. Read two of the game of thrones. Patrick rothfuss's king killer. Harry potter of course haha. Some old ones but really enjoyed catcher in the rye, lord of the flies, the godfather. If we are counting manga naruto shippuden. Ive also read a ton of books (virtually) inside the elder scrolls series. Its been a long time since ive actually read a book. Now all i read is mostly medical articles and listen to podcasts.

Lot's of interesting stuff here that I need to check out. Thanks for creating this and for all of the contributions.

I'm a huge fan of Terry Goodkind, specifically the Sword of Truth series. I need to catch up on his more recent books. The short-lived TV show was shit IMO.

I've read the majority of the Shannara series by Terry Brooks but through the years I've lost track because he started to pump out so many. I've never given the TV show a chance.

I love the Thomas Covenant books by Stephen R. Donaldson.

There are so many and I'll check out the nonfiction thread too, I enjoy many genres and history or fantasy, anything in between.

I read The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings trilogy a couple of times, first in middle school, long before the movies came along and made Tolkien even more "mainstream" than he already was.

Good stuff.

The Heart of Darkness, Joseph Conrad

The movie version was Apocalypse Now . . . and if you read the book you will understand all the weird stuff in the movie that made no sense.

The Heart of Darkness, Joseph Conrad

The movie version was Apocalypse Now . . . and if you read the book you will understand all the weird stuff in the movie that made no sense.
Good to know, I never read the book, but I will have to add it to my list. I have a huge list now! Makes me happy!! It was running short for awhile.

I just finished watching the first season of "shadow and bone" , it is based on the books. Cool story, I guess the books are even better. Oh, also "the witcher" ones, "metro 2033" based ones... damn I'm such a nerd.

I read a ton. I don't watch TV or spend anytime on social media cept for meso rx and YouTube and that's it seriously, no Facebook no Twitter no Instagram or anything like that. And the content I listen to on YouTube is mostly biographic, tutorial, religious, and the like I don't even watch the videos I just listen to the content while I work. Almost forgot I also listen to books on audible at work.

Other than that I read a lot of John Sandford crime novels, Nelson Demille used to be a good writer and I've recently went back and read a lot of my favorites from him, early Lee Child Reacher series, etc. I like crime capers/detective work, cold War espionage, and and war game Tom Clancy stuff and Louis LAmour I've of course read the Lord of Rings trilogy many times but other than that I don't really get too much into that genre.

Back