Daily Log to 2019 Show Season

What have you been doing for thigh work the past several years?
In retrospect, could you have achieved the same result without free/barbell squats?

Also, you have extreme balance about you. Break down that whole process.
As far as legs, let’s get something out of the way, my dad had amazing leg development just from pro-am hockey. So genetics are on my side there. I always strongly believe in building a base with the core movements, barbell squats being one of them, but no exercise is *necessary*, I just believe many are much more bang for buck and the systemic nature of a squat, a deadlift, a press, is superior for overall growth and look than an isolation like an extension. Lately, I’ve been away from barbell squatting for safety mostly as working sets were approaching 5 plates+ at 5’6 220. Seemed risky. I still deadlift. But leg press, squat machines, hacks, etc have taken over the majority of leg training. I’m back to smith squatting and barbell squatting but just not to the extremes and later in the workout.

as far as my balance, sincerely appreciate that and the answer is simple; I stopped training the shit that grew easily. I took an entire year off focused leg training and a legit 16 weeks with zero leg days to bring my upper body up to par. My arms were always weak so they got some strategic changes thrown at them from arms every day to no arms for two weeks to 3 days a week in the middle. Arms are still small, but not poverty level lol.

I believe most guys simply don’t want to stop training their strengths and like to ignore their weaknesses.

As far as legs, let’s get something out of the way, my dad had amazing leg development just from pro-am hockey. So genetics are on my side there. I always strongly believe in building a base with the core movements, barbell squats being one of them, but no exercise is *necessary*, I just believe many are much more bang for buck and the systemic nature of a squat, a deadlift, a press, is superior for overall growth and look than an isolation like an extension. Lately, I’ve been away from barbell squatting for safety mostly as working sets were approaching 5 plates+ at 5’6 220. Seemed risky. I still deadlift. But leg press, squat machines, hacks, etc have taken over the majority of leg training. I’m back to smith squatting and barbell squatting but just not to the extremes and later in the workout.

as far as my balance, sincerely appreciate that and the answer is simple; I stopped training the shit that grew easily. I took an entire year off focused leg training and a legit 16 weeks with zero leg days to bring my upper body up to par. My arms were always weak so they got some strategic changes thrown at them from arms every day to no arms for two weeks to 3 days a week in the middle. Arms are still small, but not poverty level lol.

I believe most guys simply don’t want to stop training their strengths and like to ignore their weaknesses.
I appreciate that detail, bro.

206.0. Up to 2.5gal for the second day. Day 3 Xpel OTC diuretic (3 half doses now). 400g rice, 8oz juice intra, 24oz grapefruit juice for carbs (~275g-ish?).

E70E033A-53F0-4FE1-88CB-31A3E8010E81.jpeg

206.0 represents about 11-13lbs up from my prep for my June show. I’d say we’re about 2 weeks from Nationals conditioning with 4.5 weeks remaining. I’m feeling good.

How many gallons of water will be tmrw and Saturday- If u drank 2.5 gallons tday arent u pissing your brains out now?
2.5gal and an OTC diuretic so yea. Tons of piss lol.

Tomorrow isn’t written yet. I’ll wake up early, hop on the scale, run to the gym for checkin photos, send em to my coach, and wait for the plan. The plan may be only my next meal or a general strategy for the day. We’ll see.

I woke at 205.2 today. It’s 10pm, 2.5gal and 6 meals down and I’m 205.6….so things may get interesting.

Back