Do you plan to blast in old age (40+)?

The problem is calcium consumption. MK-7 can theoretically prevent calcium from building up in your arteries to an extent, but ultimately your body HAS to reduce calcium levels in the blood. Your heart functions through a calcium osmotic reaction. If calcium is too high, your heart stops working.

The real issue is your body does this primarily by putting calcium in your bones. Once your osteoblast cells are depleted, that's when the trouble starts and by then there isn't much you can do besides dramatically reducing calcium intake. Calcification of arteries begins to intensify in older age because people have osteoporosis due to having no osteoblast cells left.

Unfortunately, despite clear epidemiological studies that correlate heart attacks with calcium consumption (say, Sweden vs Japan), most people think consuming tons of calcium actually is a good thing when it's a significant public health hazard. Then there is the quantity of dairy products in the west, which doesn't help.
Hypercalcemia is not usually related to dietary calcium intake and the research you mentioned is observational and should be taken with a grain of salt.

Hypercalcemia is not usually related to dietary calcium intake and the research you mentioned is observational and should be taken with a grain of salt.
False. There have been animal experiments as well. I only mention epidemiology because it should be the basis of a hypothesis.

Everything else is biology. Dietary calcium is digested into the blood. Blood levels of calcium cannot rise too high or heart muscles cannot function (see calcium channel blocker medication for the mechanism). Excess calcium is stored in bones, which has a finite lifetime limit due to the finite number of osteoblast cells.

Outside of epidemiology and animal studies, we have a logical argument.

Do you have any good studies to support that theory? I saw this theory many years ago, but have seen many studies that don't support it. I see many countries where people consume more calcium then in the US but do not have higher cardio issues.

I have had middle of the road calcium blood levels all my life. And i am far from having osteoporosis as my orthros have told me i have bones of granite after doing surgery on me. Yet high calcification of the arteries. Which i see is quite common for people that do intense exercise all their lives. Likely due to inflammation from some research i have seen.
I haven't checked this data in 10 years at least. The WHO used to have data for dairy consumption and heart attacks, so it was easy to see the correlation. What always stood out was Japan, not only because of the nominal dairy consumption but the very high smoking rate.

Osteoporosis (the death of osteoblast cells, which isn't easily measured while you're alive) manifests differently in different people, probably because of supportive muscles and such. You're on here, so, you're not some frail old lady with no leg muscles so not surprised. As well, osteoporosis rates are on the WHO site. 10 years ago, it was endemic in Sweden and Norway, rare in Japan.

So far as calcification of the arteries vs heart attacks - the two aren't necessarily related. Destabilizing the calcium channel osmotic process by elevated blood levels of calcium doesn't necessarily have to involve calcification.

Most likely, people who consume calcium supplements and dairy products consume so much calcium the body just can't draw it out of the blood fast enough, no matter what the age or whether or not osteoblast cells remain.

Obviously, the calcium came from somewhere. Animals in nature don't have this problem, so it clearly is something unique to the human diet.

I haven't checked this data in 10 years at least. The WHO used to have data for dairy consumption and heart attacks, so it was easy to see the correlation. What always stood out was Japan, not only because of the nominal dairy consumption but the very high smoking rate.

Osteoporosis (the death of osteoblast cells, which isn't easily measured while you're alive) manifests differently in different people, probably because of supportive muscles and such. You're on here, so, you're not some frail old lady with no leg muscles so not surprised. As well, osteoporosis rates are on the WHO site. 10 years ago, it was endemic in Sweden and Norway, rare in Japan.

So far as calcification of the arteries vs heart attacks - the two aren't necessarily related. Destabilizing the calcium channel osmotic process by elevated blood levels of calcium doesn't necessarily have to involve calcification.

Most likely, people who consume calcium supplements and dairy products consume so much calcium the body just can't draw it out of the blood fast enough, no matter what the age or whether or not osteoblast cells remain.

Obviously, the calcium came from somewhere. Animals in nature don't have this problem, so it clearly is something unique to the human diet.
Or it may not be just diet. Calcium may play a part but that could be a very small part. The Japanese don't eat whole grains that are recommended as they eat processed white rice and noodles. Or hit the gym a lot it seems. Plus they eat about 3x more salt then Americans. Personally i think it is far more about lifestyle then just diet. When i look at data. It seems the more overweight a person/population is the lower the quality of health and heart issues. Looking at just one small diet factor does not seems to prove out anything. The vast majority of studies don't seem to support high calcium and calcification. I am an example of that i don't take calcium supplements yet have high calcification. Thinking the most unhealthy and overweight people are the ones supplementing calcium the most just does not correlate in my brain. I tend to think health oriented people take more supplements.

Or it may not be just diet. Calcium may play a part but that could be a very small part. The Japanese don't eat whole grains that are recommended as they eat processed white rice and noodles. Or hit the gym a lot it seems. Plus they eat about 3x more salt then Americans. Personally i think it is far more about lifestyle then just diet. When i look at data. It seems the more overweight a person/population is the lower the quality of health and heart issues. Looking at just one small diet factor does not seems to prove out anything. The vast majority of studies don't seem to support high calcium and calcification. I am an example of that i don't take calcium supplements yet have high calcification. Thinking the most unhealthy and overweight people are the ones supplementing calcium the most just does not correlate in my brain. I tend to think health oriented people take more supplements.
And let's not forget the most important factor of all - genetics.

And let's not forget the most important factor of all - genetics.
Most data points to genetics accounting for about 25% of longevity. A good life style can greatly extend it and a bad one can cripple it.

. Human longevity: Genetics or Lifestyle? It takes two to tango

Sponsors

Latest posts