Fentanyl. It's discreet, it's known to kill...

Fentanyl is fucking awful. When I first started having back issues about six or seven years ago, my family practice doctor first prescribed me hydrocodone 10 mg which unfortunately wasn’t even barely scratching the surface of the pain. On my next follow up with him, since I had to see him a couple times before getting referred over to a surgeon or pain management clinic, I informed him that it wasn’t doing the trick and he immediately jumped me up to 75 mg ER Fentanyl patches. I had never even heard of the stuff at the time and didn’t know much about it, so I looked it up and got a bit concerned about it, but I went ahead and followed his instructions and tried one of the ER patches that you had to stick on a hairless flat part of your body and I believe they lasted three or four days. Within three or four hours of putting that thing on I was vomiting everything out of my system, vomited like crazy the next morning at the gym and then again in the afternoon when it was time to eat lunch. I was constantly nauseous, could actually taste the bitterness of the medication it was so strong and absolutely nasty, had horrible heart burn and felt horrible. I ended up throwing the rest of the shit away and never touched that shit again. I have never felt so awful from any medication in my life. That stuff is fucking awful.
Your pcp prescribed fentanyl? That's insane. I've only known terminal cancer patients to have that prescribed.
That's sketchy as fuk from a pcp. I cracked my l4 and l5 discs and after surgery was prescribed 20mg er oxycontin. My neurosurgeon would of never prescribed fentanyl. Glad you're ok.

Your pcp prescribed fentanyl? That's insane. I've only known terminal cancer patients to have that prescribed.
That's sketchy as fuk from a pcp. I cracked my l4 and l5 discs and after surgery was prescribed 20mg er oxycontin. My neurosurgeon would of never prescribed fentanyl. Glad you're ok.
Nice to see you around 'Cane! Hope all is well.

Yep, my PCP. It was in 2012-13, so they were still a lot looser about narcotic and opioid prescriptions at the time, but it’s still surprising. I had no idea what the stuff was or how potent it was, but I found out real quick. Good ol’ Dr. Wong.

That's how I felt from dilaudid. After my knee procedures they were pumping me full of that shit. All I would do is wake up in pain, they would jamb more of that garbage in my IV. Within minutes I'd puke and then pass out. This went on for a while, not sure how long. Maybe 12 times or so. I eventually refused the dilaudid and started asking for "regular" pain meds. They chided me for a bit but I didn't back down. Oxycontin, hydro and perks after that. A revolving door of those 3 based on time frames. Was out of the hospital like 12 hours later (in a retarded amount of pain still but I was out).

Just watched the paramedics save a life tonight. Guy mid 30's had OD and had next to no pulse. Shot of Narcan and 2 mins later he bounced up in a panic. Scary to watch and just greatful I'm1 yr sober as of Jan. Seeing that makes one appreciate the little things in life so much more.

I'm not unaware of this, and it's a damn shame that things like this are allowed to happen. While I realize that a generation of people were misinformed, fucked over and are now paying for it, we now know what the end result is most likely to be and we still chose to start using narcotics. It makes it harder to sympathize when you know the user knew what they were getting into, but at the same time it's impossible not to care because I'm not immune. My family buried two younger men last year alone because of this issue.

this is something that I don't have regarding opiates or alcohol so I can't fully understand the pull those addictions have. I spent 6 weeks on heavy pharmaceuticals after my leg issue and I walked away without any major problems. It kills me to know other can't simply walk away. My family is littered with addiction and I'm absolutely an outlier, for whatever reason?

I am hard lined on my opinions and feelings and while that may never change, I do support whatever changes are needed to curb the problem. What those changes are, I dont know man. I'm listening though.
I'll relate my experience since you tasted a little of the same.
2006 broke hand badly, on hydrocodone for a few months. No issues with painkillers. 2008 knocked hardware and pins loose in same hand at work, surgery to remove smae hardware, a few days of painkillers no issue stopping.
2010 hurt back badly and had to work to support the family. Doc started me on 90 Norco a month and moved to the percocet. Still could take or leave them.
2012 shot 5 times with a 9mm,multiple broken bones (bullets meet bone, bone explodes) , I have cadaver bones and rod from knee to ankle), shot in thigh, stomach, and head. Wheelchair, walker, crutches, all that jazz. That lead to 2 years of daily percocet and dependency/addiction. I wouldn't buy off the street so most of my time was spent in pain and and withdrawal for a couple of years. Suboxone once I didn't need the oxycodone for my pain every day for a few years. Weaned off the suboxone and 6 months later broke 3 vertebrae. Now I've spent almost a year horizontal on pain meds. I can't wean off the pain meds because I feel like I have been hit between the shoulder blades with an ax. By the time I finish making breakfast for my parents, my mom's in hospice dad not much better, I have to go lay on the floor for a half hour so my back will quit spasming. They say surgery won't help. I've went to 3 orthopedic surgeons.
So now I'm dependent on even stronger painkillers than before. It's taken me a year to find a pain management doctor that actually works to help me. I went through three others that were shit. I won't be trying any fentanyl outside of the hospital. I still won't buy street drugs but I am not happy with the situation. I had just got back in decent opiate free physical condition when I broke my back. Now I'm worse than ever.

Odd to see a thread about fent. Dunno how many people remember me but I relapsed after my first cycle around NYE. I've been clean 5 weeks this morning. I had to take a month off of lifting from lifting but now I'm back at it and looking leaner than ever.

To the dude prescribed fent: Pharmaceutical fent is way different than street fent. It still gets you high and addicted but you're much more functional on pharma fent. The dope I was getting was making me seriously retarded, where even sober my brain seemed slow. Even sober I would zone out when driving.

I live in the midwest where there's a fent epidemic right now. When I first started using in the late 2000s a gram of heroin was about $200. Now you can get a gram of fent dope for $50-$75 and everyone has it. Makes it a lot harder to stay sober.

Thankfully I'm still in school and it doesn't seem like my grades suffered that much.

Arguing about addiction as a disease is such a dumb semantics argument.

It 100% is a disease, random people on facebook don't get to define it. That said I feel like "disorder" probably fits more. It's a disorder in the way that mental illness is.

If addiction is a "choice" then so is depression, schizophrenia, etc. Saying "just dont get high" is like saying "just be happy bro".

It's like brutus said, people can't imagine a life and mind different or harder than theirs. It's just being sick in the brain and using drugs is just a side effect. Dude above said "Let's just say there is no heroine, there is no coke etc.. if you have the disease what do you do then? Oh right make the choice to find something else to abuse?"

The whole point is your brain is fucked up to the point where you're so desperate for those drugs in the first place. It's not normal, a mentally normal person does not choose drugs over everything. Of course when you fuck with opiates ANYONE can get addicted, even a mentally sound person. The difference is those without mental illness can pull themselves out of opiate addiction WAY easier. Those are the guys that go to rehab/AA and get it the first try.

That said addicts 100% bring these arguments upon themselves. People definitely take the disease model as an excuse for bad behavior. I feel like addicts are going to become the next professional victim group.

2006 broke hand badly, on hydrocodone for a few months. No issues with painkillers. 2008 knocked hardware and pins loose in same hand at work, surgery to remove smae hardware, a few days of painkillers no issue stopping.
2010 hurt back badly and had to work to support the family. Doc started me on 90 Norco a month and moved to the percocet. Still could take or leave them.
2012 shot 5 times with a 9mm,multiple broken bones (bullets meet bone, bone explodes) , I have cadaver bones and rod from knee to ankle), shot in thigh, stomach, and head. Wheelchair, walker, crutches, all that jazz. That lead to 2 years of daily percocet and dependency/addiction. I wouldn't buy off the street so most of my time was spent in pain and and withdrawal for a couple of years. Suboxone once I didn't need the oxycodone for my pain every day for a few years. Weaned off the suboxone and 6 months later broke 3 vertebrae. Now I've spent almost a year horizontal on pain meds. I can't wean off the pain meds because I feel like I have been hit between the shoulder blades with an ax. By the time I finish making breakfast for my parents, my mom's in hospice dad not much better, I have to go lay on the floor for a half hour so my back will quit spasming. They say surgery won't help. I've went to 3 orthopedic surgeons.
So now I'm dependent on even stronger painkillers than before. It's taken me a year to find a pain management doctor that actually works to help me. I went through three others that were shit. I won't be trying any fentanyl outside of the hospital. I still won't buy street drugs but I am not happy with the situation. I had just got back in decent opiate free physical condition when I broke my back. Now I'm worse than ever.
there are people that opiates are appropriate for, you're one of them. unfortunately, you're getting caught up in the rest of the mess. good luck buddy

Sounds like you have some challenges ahead. Does your insurance cover all those pain meds?
You seldom hear about people getting addicted when its just oxycodone, the percocets from back in the day. Its the newer "less addictive" pain killers like oxycontin that are getting people hooked. I spent about 6 months on 512's for injuries after falling off a roof and only felt weird for a day when my supply ran out. for me, nicotine was way harder to kick.

Arguing about addiction as a disease is such a dumb semantics argument.

It 100% is a disease, random people on facebook don't get to define it. That said I feel like "disorder" probably fits more. It's a disorder in the way that mental illness is.

If addiction is a "choice" then so is depression, schizophrenia, etc. Saying "just dont get high" is like saying "just be happy bro".

It's like brutus said, people can't imagine a life and mind different or harder than theirs. It's just being sick in the brain and using drugs is just a side effect. Dude above said "Let's just say there is no heroine, there is no coke etc.. if you have the disease what do you do then? Oh right make the choice to find something else to abuse?"

The whole point is your brain is fucked up to the point where you're so desperate for those drugs in the first place. It's not normal, a mentally normal person does not choose drugs over everything. Of course when you fuck with opiates ANYONE can get addicted, even a mentally sound person. The difference is those without mental illness can pull themselves out of opiate addiction WAY easier. Those are the guys that go to rehab/AA and get it the first try.

That said addicts 100% bring these arguments upon themselves. People definitely take the disease model as an excuse for bad behavior. I feel like addicts are going to become the next professional victim group.
My point exactly but you seem to be insulted by it. There is no denying there is mental illness, but to classify that as just "addiction" is silly. Addiction is a result of your choices. Those poor choices may be the result of some mental illness.

If your addiction is lifting, etc. Something positive is that really an illness? Or is it only the bad choices ie. Drugs an illness? If you reread your post we agree but you want to classify your mental problems as an illness named addiction. I think the problems are deeper then "addiction".

My point exactly but you seem to be insulted by it. There is no denying there is mental illness, but to classify that as just "addiction" is silly. Addiction is a result of your choices. Those poor choices may be the result of some mental illness.

If your addiction is lifting, etc. Something positive is that really an illness? Or is it only the bad choices ie. Drugs an illness? If you reread your post we agree but you want to classify your mental problems as an illness named addiction. I think the problems are deeper then "addiction".

No
Just google addiction + genetic weight

Ignorance isnt acceptable on this matter
You re like a whole century of science behind

No

So for instance, a person starts shooting dope or meth with no previous addiction issues. He gets hooked and is now an addict, that's what you classify as a disease? Right. Sorry making poor decisions is not a disease.

You have to be s liberal no doubt. Stop playing the victim.

I ve handled more addiction than you could count

I ve see amongst addict patients a resilience rarely seen elsewhere, and there is no shortage of will for a lot of them, will unfortunately is just not enough to cure that desease

Your definition of disease is over simplified
Things are a lot more complex but you dont seem too much concerned about learning anything from here and you re satisfied with what you know on the subject

And just fiy, a large majority of patients wont fall into addiction using meth or dope no matter how hard they try

I dont see how me being liberal or not has anything to do with it
In a way I envy you, ignorance is bliss

No

To say it is fact and it was proven a century ago is a tremendous overstatement.

It is a choice. It may be harder for some more then others. But what in life isnt?

I started using drugs and alcohol around 12 years old. That continued for 10-15 years. I would use anything. Over time I broke away from drugs thankfully. No body is the same or has the same shit going on in their life. I'm lucky to have broken away but still struggle with what you would classify as addiction. Sex, money, steroids, the gym etc. Do I call this a disease? No i dont because i have a choice in the matter. Granted it may be hard, or feel impossible at times, but i am aware of my personality and have suffered from my bad decisions. Remembering this and learning to enjoy life has helped me steer clear. I am at fault for my poor decisions in the past as I will be in the future. I think what people call "addiction" is or could be s mental illness which is not only addiction.

But I'm open ears, conflict is healthy. Dont get so upset about us disagreeing. Present your points and we can have a healthy discussion.

Code:
https://www.statnews.com/2019/02/19/no-generic-insulin-who-is-to-blame/

As the page turns, another cheap drug with skyrocketing costs for the consumer.

To say it is fact and it was proven a century ago is a tremendous overstatement.

It is a choice. It may be harder for some more then others. But what in life isnt?

I started using drugs and alcohol around 12 years old. That continued for 10-15 years. I would use anything. Over time I broke away from drugs thankfully. No body is the same or has the same shit going on in their life. I'm lucky to have broken away but still struggle with what you would classify as addiction. Sex, money, steroids, the gym etc. Do I call this a disease? No i dont because i have a choice in the matter. Granted it may be hard, or feel impossible at times, but i am aware of my personality and have suffered from my bad decisions. Remembering this and learning to enjoy life has helped me steer clear. I am at fault for my poor decisions in the past as I will be in the future. I think what people call "addiction" is or could be s mental illness which is not only addiction.

But I'm open ears, conflict is healthy. Dont get so upset about us disagreeing. Present your points and we can have a healthy discussion.

I really dont mind having a conversation,

but tell me, how hard do you think you're biased to this whole discussion as an ex drug user yourself ?

Do you really think "shit going through with their life" is sufficient enough for people to start an addiction ?

If i point a gun to your head and ask you to chose between A and B, threatening to pull the trigger if you chose B, how much of a choice is this, how free are you ?

Whats left of free will when during addiction the brain uses the same neurological pathways it uses when "chosing" when to sleep, eat, or piss ?

Do you really think people make the choice to relapse, when everything is laid there for them to succeed ?

How about the HUGE prevalence of mental DISEASES in addict patients, is someone going through an substance induced MDD really "chosing" anything he does ?
And the other way around, can someone going through dysthymia for 10 years be "faulty" of abusing a substance that will ( in short term ) alleviate some symptos ? Is he really free not to abuse it ? Does he even have half a clue what the fuck is happening to him ?

What about the brain damage induced by substance abuse ? Can someone with an hypofunctional frontal lobe really be classified as someone with less "will", or be faulty for making poor decisions ?

I could ramble on for days

Dont get me wrong I see where you're coming from
Everyone has the same speech, i've heard yours countless times and the people that have gone through addiction are usually the hardest on themselves and others

Last edited:
I really dont mind having a conversation,

but tell me, how hard do you think you're biased to this whole discussion as an ex drug user yourself ?

Do you really think "shit going through with their life" is sufficient enough for people to start an addiction ?

If i point a gun to your head and ask you to chose between A and B, threatening to pull the trigger if you chose B, how much of a choice is this, how free are you ?

Whats left of free will when during addiction the brain uses the same neurological pathways it uses when "chosing" when to sleep, eat, or piss ?

Do you really think people make the choice to relapse, when everything is laid there for them to succeed ?

How about the HUGE prevalence of mental DISEASES in addict patients, is someone going through an substance induced MDD really "chosing" anything he does ?
And the other way around, can someone going through dysthymia for 10 years be "faulty" of abusing a substance that will ( in short term ) alleviate some symptos ? Is he really free not to abuse it ? Does he even have half a clue what the fuck is happening to him ?

What about the brain damage induced by substance abuse ? Can someone with an hypofunctional frontal lobe really be classified as someone with less "will", or be faulty for making poor decisions ?

I could ramble on for days

Dont get me wrong I see where you're coming from
Everyone has the same speech, i've heard yours countless times and the people that have gone through addiction are usually the hardest on themselves and others
So basically you are saying there is no free will? I think as an ex drug user I do have experience with this and can comment. It's not bias it is fact I chose not to use.

No one is holding a gun to your head and telling you to do drugs. It's your choice. You can blame anything you want but it's your choice. Now mental illnesses, there is no denying that. But labeling "addiction" as a true disease I dont buy into. Are there mental issues like depression or anxiety pushing your choices. Could be but addiction can be acquired and or broken. Labeling it all that I feel is grossly lumping mental issues into the term addiction. By definition it's not a disease.

Sounds like you have some challenges ahead. Does your insurance cover all those pain meds?
You seldom hear about people getting addicted when its just oxycodone, the percocets from back in the day. Its the newer "less addictive" pain killers like oxycontin that are getting people hooked. I spent about 6 months on 512's for injuries after falling off a roof and only felt weird for a day when my supply ran out. for me, nicotine was way harder to kick.
Yes, the problem with insurance is how much I pay per month. But in my case it's been well worth the money.