Just finished 6 wks HST - feel strong ! ~OGH

Discussion in 'Training Forum' started by Oregongearhead, Apr 2, 2014.

1. The 15"s will humble you ! Especially the 2nd week . I did the program twice and hated the 15"s both times , but that was a good thing , because obviously I had been too laxed with myself , I was stuck in the 5-8 rep range....its an accomplishment when you finish each time . ;)

Trooper Gains and Millard Baker like this.
  2. raysugar1234

raysugar1234 Member

I'm pretty sold on HST... I'm going to run an HST program next....

Millard Baker likes this.
  3. Millard Baker

Millard Baker Member

Sorry to hear this. Injuries are not fun. :mad:

How much time off & rehab did the doctor advise?

4. Doc said if it hurts dont do it ; makes sense . And to work-out around the injury . I do stretches , exercises , wear a elbow band and use Capsaicin gel .
    Light curls especially light reverse curls was suggested .

I get this every other year , kinda use to it . Should be better in 4-6 weeks / Thanks. ;)

Trooper Gains likes this.
  5. Millard Baker

Millard Baker Member

That's good advice. I've been experiencing a serious bout of elbow tendinitis lately too. It's been a challenge finding exercises to work around the injury. Sometimes I've found some exercises to be surprisingly pain-free. For example, while I am unable to perform any sort of pressing movement (overhead or chest), I can still do machine dips. Most curling exercises are out but hammer curls are ok. Of course, it's always good to make the most of it. I'm using the recovery time to step up the cycling now that the weather is nice outdoors. When I return 100% to the gym at least I will be lean :D

6. raysugar1234

raysugar1234 Member

What kinda bike you got? Do you ride on trails or just pavement? I'm looking into getting a new bike but strictly for riding on pavement...

7. Heres my 1995 Trek 520 touring bike . Its been Oregon to California and Oregon to Washington state . Never let me down ......:rolleyes:

Attached Files:

8. Millard Baker

Millard Baker Member

I have a 29er mountain bike that I split between the road and trails. It was a difficult choice when I bought it. I really wanted both a mountain AND a road bike. But I could only afford one. I spend most of my time on the road but I enjoy the versatility of spontaneously going off road to explore. Occasionally I will rent a road bike for the weekend.

raysugar1234 and Oregongearhead like this.
  9. raysugar1234

raysugar1234 Member

Ya that's official bro..... I'm on a 4-500 dollar budget.... My bike I got now is shit, it's from when I was 15 years old.

10. I think I paid $355 for the Trek 520 used (on e-Bay) and its done everything I've asked for . I added $300-$400 in accessories besides stuff like sleeping bag/tent & such . For less than $1000 I can ride across America if I want ....~Ogh

11. raysugar1234

raysugar1234 Member

Next week OG I'm starting the HST... U and Millard have me anxious to try it... I've been doing a program similar to the 5x5 but it's actually 5x10-15. I've been doing higher reps and I'm liking it better... So this program just makes sense at this point... I think once I start I'm going be in it for the long haul...

Last edited: May 20, 2014
    Oregonstrong likes this.
  12. raysugar1234

raysugar1234 Member

So do you got the special tires for on road? I was looking into tires and I guess if you use the skinny tires with no treads compared to the ones with the giant treads on the mountain bikes it really makes a difference....

13. I put new Conti road tires on for long highways , they work great . But you can put street tires on mountainbikes and get a faster bike , like an extra 4-5mph with street thread.....:D

Trooper Gains and raysugar1234 like this.
  14. psilikon

psilikon Member

HST sounds interesting and could be the change I am looking for. I've been doing the same basic program for the past year. Where can I find a detailed sample program?

15. ^^^^ Your in it - this is it ......basic HST program right here . Go to Hypertrophyspecific.com for more info.....

16. raysugar1234

raysugar1234 Member

Oregongearhead likes this.
  17. raysugar1234

raysugar1234 Member

OG do you ever do any calf work?

18. Thanks Ray - In the 12-14 weeks I"ve used HST I"ve come to personally think the HST is meant to be simple , and should be treated that way . Not that it shouldnt be modified to suit ones needs but the basic principles should be the same .

Theres a reason for 15 reps the first 2 weeks followed by 2 weeks of 10 reps followed by 2 weeks of 5 reps . And 3 fullbody workouts a week . And 12 days of total rest followed by repeating the program. These are the basics I think was being emphasized........~Ogh :D

19. raysugar1234

raysugar1234 Member

Right on, I definitely like the idea of using the different rep ranges... I like the
    5x5 routine but this seems to be a much better choice for a full body routine.. It still focuses on progression but you progress in different rep ranges rather than just sets of 5 and it also has more exercises and hits all the muscles better IMO...

Last edited: May 21, 2014
    Oregongearhead likes this.
  20. I use to faithfully but just slacked off and now hit them from time to time . My calves arent that bad for the little work I've done . Calves are very much heredity , some guys never get them big , plus they're stubborn and too painful to exercise for some .