Let’s see those garage gyms!

Discussion in 'Training Forum' started by Worf, Mar 27, 2020.

1. Oldschool

Oldschool Member

Friend of mine had a set and I messed around with them for a bit trying them out. I thought they were pretty damn slick. If I remember right it was the bowflex set.

2. Logan44551

Logan44551 Member

Those ones look less akward than the powerblock set, they are also way more expensive

Oldschool likes this.
  3. randomguy87

randomguy87 Member

4. Be careful - your home can be a dangerous place too....:eek: :p

5. Uglyrichie

Uglyrichie Member

Sears has plates that don't say sold out

6. Uglyrichie

Uglyrichie Member

I guess I never realized how stupid this shit was. I get the stores being out but someone selling 2 mismatched 20lbs dumbbells for 175$ on that Facebook market is I don't even know what to say to that. I will say I can't wait for this stuff to hit the market when the gyms open up there is going to be some good stuff cheap

MindlessWork and Worf like this.
  7. randomguy87

randomguy87 Member

Price gougers on craigslist/facebook/ebay should literally be shot

MindlessWork and Worf like this.
  8. Worf

Worf Member

Thinking this is how I’ll pick up the calibrated steel plates I want. So many people bought expensive stuff just to have anything so they could lift. Give it a month or 2 and people will have to sell their bad decisions off to pay their credit cards.

9. Rival

Rival Member

I have used them. They work, and you can adjust fast. I opted for Iron Master adjustable dumbbells because they have better expansion capacity IMO and they mimic the feel of a real dumbbell. I couldn’t use the powerblocks because of the weird frame around it and couldn’t get a good grip with my feet for dumbbell leg presses.

10. randomguy87

randomguy87 Member

I didn't even know those ironmaster dumbbells existed. They are pretty sick looking for sure

Rival likes this.
  11. Millard Baker

Millard Baker Member

Free markets and capitalism don't make exceptions for pandemics.

flenser and Logan44551 like this.
  12. Artifex

Artifex Member

I have bowflex adjustable dumbbells , they are pretty good and you can use them for goblet squat or pullover ...

Logan44551 likes this.
  13. flenser

flenser Member AnabolicLab.com Supporter

I'm still waiting on the plates I ordered from Walmart, but I decided to get out and pick up some gear I had left at the gym before it closed. They had my Olympic bar, Swiss/football bar and short bar that I had brought in and loaned them over the years.

When I showed up the manager offered to loan me some plates while they are closed! He said he turned down rental offers, but felt he owed me for letting them use my gear all that time. I wasn't greedy, so now have around 300lbs in iron plates to use. I did a bunch of rows and RDL earlier, and can already tell I'm going to be sore from taking so much time off.

Something else he told me is that this is the last month Anytime Fitness, Planet Fitness, Gold's Gym and several others will be billing existing customers, even if the customer specifically asked to be billed. He said their insurance company is afraid of lawsuits, and threatened to drop them if they continued to charge while they are closed. Seems pretty certain a lot of them will never open again as a result.

On the bright side, all us home gym builders can look forward to a ton of used equipment auctions in the not too distant future.

ickyrica, Uglyrichie, Artifex and 4 others like this.
  14. flenser

flenser Member AnabolicLab.com Supporter

Definitely prefer they be prohibitively expensive than absolutely unobtainable.

Millard Baker and Worf like this.
  15. Millard Baker

Millard Baker Member

I think their businesses will suffer more when this is all over and they realize that many members won't be coming back. Many have who have invested a lot in their home gyms will continue to train at home. So will others who have invested in more pandemic-friendly athletic pursuits.

16. Worf

Worf Member

F3342E8F-51F2-4149-B27A-83FD1D639EEA.jpeg 0B40A16E-AD23-4E5B-9E53-642B07142D0B.jpeg 7BB6DC6C-1DB8-428D-8B58-A663AB273EC1.jpeg

Jankauskas, flenser, ickyrica and 9 others like this.
  17. Btcowboy

Btcowboy Member

Worf likes this.
  18. Worf

Worf Member

Plate trees are still out there man. Should be able to get one under 200$ new. I’d just pile them on the floor until you get one

Btcowboy likes this.
  19. Logan44551

Logan44551 Member

20. Better yet, leave them carelessly strewn across the floor as well as leaving them on a racked bar to simulate that real gym experience.

Walking in to that everyday will have you murmuring "fucking asshole" under your breath and will have you primed and ready for a solid lift.