Telmisartan

I started at 5 mg for 2 months then increased to 10 mg for a few reasons, and content there.
Yea I go up and down in 5mg steps, too. I take 20mg daily currently. Yet starting with 10mg right off the start is not good, it will give sides for sure, strong sides I would think.

For someone trying it for the first time I would still say it's best to start as low as 1.25mg to 2.5mg to get used to it first.

well this is a bit confusing to me... everyone is on the telmisartan bandwagon but it seems that it can have some unwanted outcomes in some people as stated in a thread by @Type-IIx
It is not a panacea and should be used with caution...
Thread 'Telmisartan and ARBs/ACE inhibitors are not a preventive cure-all for AAS users' Telmisartan and ARBs/ACE inhibitors are not a preventive cure-all for AAS users
I think we should always be cautious taking drugs we don't 'need' as would be the case for using telmisartan without the indication of high blood pressure.

Of course, the bias in medicine gives much more emphasis to treating disease than preventing disease.

While using a drug prophylactically -- in other words a drug you don't need -- to prevent something that may happen in the future seems like a good idea in many cases, it can introduce unwanted side effects on its own.

I'll highlight a couple that @Type-IIx and @PeterBond have pointed out. From @Type-IIx's thread:

"1a. potassium dysregulation, e.g. hyperkalemia (increased potassium retention despite its direct action), and 1b. electrolyte imbalance
[...]
"3. severe hypotension for those with salt/electrolyte depletion or prolonged diuretic use"

While for most people, this may not be a concern, for competitive (precontest) bodybuilders, it could be a huge unknown variable to add additional drugs that influence electrolyte balance into the equation.

It's not like even the bodybuilding precontest "expert" coaches have a handle on managing this. They're even recommending stupid things like drinking Pedialyte.

I'm linking to the following article just to show the problems that already exist with diuretics that may have been combined with other drugs that affect potassium balance. There is NO connection to telmisartan and I am NOT trying to make one.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/interactive/2022/bodybuilding-extreme-training/
So caution is still advised.
Relax. Telmisartan is one of the safest drug ever created. Look up the studies - it's side effect profile was similar to the placebo group which in fact makes it very safe.
Start low and slowly titrate up over time (weeks). It's blood pressure lowering effect is kinda weak but thats not the main point to take it imho, it does have a lot of other benefits besides that.
I think there is a lot of unnecessary hysteria regarding many drugs. Most people will never have any of the worst side effects of any medication. Even fewer with 'safer' drugs. Yeah, telmisartan (and also metformin) are among the safest drugs that are often recommended prophylactically -- probably only a few drugs like vaccines are safer (but I'm not even going to go there lol).

But just because most people don't have problems, never assume you will react like most people.

I never had a problem with telmisartan. But as an n=1 example, metformin dropped my hematocrit from 50+% to low 40s.

I think we should always be cautious taking drugs we don't 'need' as would be the case for using telmisartan without the indication of high blood pressure.

Of course, the bias in medicine gives much more emphasis to treating disease than preventing disease.

While using a drug prophylactically -- in other words a drug you don't need -- to prevent something that may happen in the future seems like a good idea in many cases, it can introduce unwanted side effects on its own.

I'll highlight a couple that @Type-IIx and @PeterBond have pointed out. From @Type-IIx's thread:

"1a. potassium dysregulation, e.g. hyperkalemia (increased potassium retention despite its direct action), and 1b. electrolyte imbalance
[...]
"3. severe hypotension for those with salt/electrolyte depletion or prolonged diuretic use"

While for most people, this may not be a concern, for competitive (precontest) bodybuilders, it could be a huge unknown variable to add additional drugs that influence electrolyte balance into the equation.

It's not like even the bodybuilding precontest "expert" coaches have a handle on managing this. They're even recommending stupid things like drinking Pedialyte.

I'm linking to the following article just to show the problems that already exist with diuretics that may have been combined with other drugs that affect potassium balance. There is NO connection to telmisartan and I am NOT trying to make one.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/interactive/2022/bodybuilding-extreme-training/
So caution is still advised.

I think there is a lot of unnecessary hysteria regarding many drugs. Most people will never have any of the worst side effects of any medication. Even fewer with 'safer' drugs. Yeah, telmisartan (and also metformin) are among the safest drugs that are often recommended prophylactically -- probably only a few drugs like vaccines are safer (but I'm not even going to go there lol).

But just because most people don't have problems, never assume you will react like most people.

I never had a problem with telmisartan. But as an n=1 example, metformin dropped my hematocrit from 50+% to low 40s.
Yes I agree, I was lucky to find a good endocrinologist who is "ok" with my PED use, as I'm being open and trying to be responsible with my drug use. I've gotten my prescriptions based on my bloodwork and pre existing conditions. Id rather not take any scripts, but mine are required and proving beneficial. I'm off the metformin bandwagon also after more research and anecdotal evidence collected.

Back