Trump Timeline ... Trumpocalypse

In 1964, I was a little girl sitting on the linoleum floor of my mother's house in Milwaukee watching Anne Bancroft present the Oscar for best actor at the 36th Academy Awards. She opened the envelope and said five words that literally made history: "The winner is Sidney Poitier." Up to the stage came the most elegant man I had ever seen. I remember his tie was white, and of course his skin was black, and I had never seen a black man being celebrated like that. I tried many, many times to explain what a moment like that means to a little girl, a kid watching from the cheap seats as my mom came through the door bone tired from cleaning other people's houses. But all I can do is quote and say that the explanation in Sidney's performance in "Lilies of the Field":

"Amen, amen, amen, amen."

In 1982, Sidney received the Cecil B. DeMille award right here at the Golden Globes and it is not lost on me that at this moment, there are some little girls watching as I become the first black woman to be given this same award. It is an honor -- it is an honor and it is a privilege to share the evening with all of them and also with the incredible men and women who have inspired me, who challenged me, who sustained me and made my journey to this stage possible. Dennis Swanson who took a chance on me for "A.M. Chicago." Quincy Jones who saw me on that show and said to Steven Spielberg, "Yes, she is Sophia in 'The Color Purple.'" Gayle who has been the definition of what a friend is, and Stedman who has been my rock -- just a few to name.

I want to thank the Hollywood Foreign Press Association because we all know the press is under siege these days. We also know it's the insatiable dedication to uncovering the absolute truth that keeps us from turning a blind eye to corruption and to injustice. To -- to tyrants and victims, and secrets and lies. I want to say that I value the press more than ever before as we try to navigate these complicated times, which brings me to this: what I know for sure is that speaking your truth is the most powerful tool we all have. And I'm especially proud and inspired by all the women who have felt strong enough and empowered enough to speak up and share their personal stories. Each of us in this room are celebrated because of the stories that we tell, and this year we became the story.

But it's not just a story affecting the entertainment industry. It's one that transcends any culture, geography, race, religion, politics, or workplace. So I want tonight to express gratitude to all the women who have endured years of abuse and assault because they, like my mother, had children to feed and bills to pay and dreams to pursue. They're the women whose names we'll never know. They are domestic workers and farm workers. They are working in factories and they work in restaurants and they're in academia, engineering, medicine, and science. They're part of the world of tech and politics and business. They're our athletes in the Olympics and they're our soldiers in the military.

And there's someone else, Recy Taylor, a name I know and I think you should know, too. In 1944, Recy Taylor was a young wife and mother walking home from a church service she'd attended in Abbeville, Alabama, when she was abducted by six armed white men, raped, and left blindfolded by the side of the road coming home from church. They threatened to kill her if she ever told anyone, but her story was reported to the NAACP where a young worker by the name of Rosa Parks became the lead investigator on her case and together they sought justice. But justice wasn't an option in the era of Jim Crow. The men who tried to destroy her were never persecuted. Recy Taylor died ten days ago, just shy of her 98th birthday. She lived as we all have lived, too many years in a culture broken by brutally powerful men. For too long, women have not been heard or believed if they dare speak the truth to the power of those men. But their time is up. Their time is up.

Their time is up. And I just hope -- I just hope that Recy Taylor died knowing that her truth, like the truth of so many other women who were tormented in those years, and even now tormented, goes marching on. It was somewhere in Rosa Parks' heart almost 11 years later, when she made the decision to stay seated on that bus in Montgomery, and it's here with every woman who chooses to say, "Me too." And every man -- every man who chooses to listen.

In my career, what I've always tried my best to do, whether on television or through film, is to say something about how men and women really behave. To say how we experience shame, how we love and how we rage, how we fail, how we retreat, persevere and how we overcome. I've interviewed and portrayed people who've withstood some of the ugliest things life can throw at you, but the one quality all of them seem to share is an ability to maintain hope for a brighter morning, even during our darkest nights. So I want all the girls watching here, now, to know that a new day is on the horizon! And when that new day finally dawns, it will be because of a lot of magnificent women, many of whom are right here in this room tonight, and some pretty phenomenal men, fighting hard to make sure that they become the leaders who take us to the time when nobody ever has to say "Me too" again.

The only stable thing about Trump’s genius is his off-the-charts skill at creating instability around him
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/opinions/wp/2018/01/08/the-only-stable-thing-about-trumps-genius-is-his-off-the-charts-skill-at-creating-instability-around-him/ (Opinion | The only stable thing about Trump’s genius is his off-the-charts skill at creating instability around him)

When the president of the United States feels the need to assert, in effect, “I am not crazy,” it would be time to worry, if we hadn’t reached this point of worry some time ago.

Put President Trump’s assurance of his stability in the same health category as “resting comfortably” as he sits on his couch with his special friends on the television screen airing “Fox and Friends.” They’re his very best friends during his daily playtime that he calls “Executive Time.”

As for his stability, it exists only in his relentlessly predictable talent for creating chaos everywhere around him. The rotating carnival fun-house of his administration is only a microcosm of the instability that radiates outward from him through the government, the nation and the world. Nowhere is this instability more maddeningly stupefying than his climate policy, for which he just patted himself on the back when he “bleeted” (or blowhard-tweeted) that the East Coast could use some “good old Global Warming” during the recent cold weather there. For Trump, the tiredest of stale jokes about climate strike him as still clever, and probably was as original with him as when he said he thought up “priming the pump.”

But if he thought that the cold wave was somehow evidence of the lack of warming, he wasn’t (typically) looking very far. At the very same time that he was trying to be cute asking for more climate change, Australia was baking under heat so severe that it was literally melting the pavement. In a year that was again setting abnormal heat records.

And while the president thinks it’s a good time to dig and burn more coal, and save money by not addressing climate change, the bills continue to mount, with 2017 costs from climate change above $300,000,000,000. His recycling program consists of repeating his worn-out jokes.

And to the ever-rotating carousel of supporters who enable him, and the rest of the nation waiting and hoping for a return to actual stability, in and out of the White House, everyone should remember that the instability he creates, in climate and in every other thing, will outlast him. As Shakespeare noted, “The evil that men do lives after them.”

Along with extra coal, we are burning time.

As one sign of how fraught the confrontation with North Korea remains despite the tentative onset of diplomatic activity, consider this: U.S. officials are debating whether it’s possible to mount a limited military strike against North Korean sites without igniting an all-out war on the Korean Peninsula.

The idea is known as the “bloody nose” strategy: React to some nuclear or missile test with a targeted strike against a North Korean facility to bloody Pyongyang’s nose and illustrate the high price the regime could pay for its behavior. The hope would be to make that point without inciting a full-bore reprisal by North Korea.

It’s an enormously risky idea, and there is a debate among Trump administration officials about whether it’s feasible. North Koreans have a vast array of artillery tubes pointed across the Demilitarized Zone at Seoul, the capital of South Korea, with which they could inflict thousands of casualties within minutes if they choose to unleash all-out barrage. Now, that danger is coupled with the risk that the North Koreans could attempt to use a nuclear weapon if they choose to escalate in retaliation to even a single strike.

Such a debate reflects how tense the situation remains, even though North Korea has scaled back the pace of its provocative actions in recent weeks and opened the door to diplomacy. Officials from North Korea will meet their counterparts from South Korea on Tuesday in a village inside the DMZ separating the two Koreas, in talks that are to focus on the North’s possible participation in next month’s Winter Olympics in South Korea.

A Kansas state Republican lawmaker resurrected a Jim Crow myth that African Americans are genetically predisposed to handle marijuana more poorly than other races during a speech over the weekend.

As the Garden City Telegram reported, State Rep. Steve Alford (R) told an all-white crowd that marijuana was criminalized during the prohibition era in the 1930’s primarily because of black marijuana use when asked a question by a member of the local Democratic party about potential economic boons from cannabis legalization.

“What you really need to do is go back in the ’30s, when they outlawed all types of drugs in Kansas (and) across the United States,” Alford said. “What was the reason why they did that? One of the reasons why, I hate to say it, was that the African Americans, they were basically users and they basically responded the worst off to those drugs just because of their character makeup, their genetics and that.”

WASHINGTON — Federal regulators on Monday rejected a proposal by Energy Secretary Rick Perry to subsidize struggling coal and nuclear plants, in a major blow to the Trump administration’s efforts to revive America’s declining coal industry.

Over the past decade, an influx of cheap natural gas and the rapid rise of renewable energy has transformed the nation’s power sector, driving down electricity prices and pushing many older coal and nuclear plants into retirement.

In September, Mr. Perry warned that the loss of these plants could threaten the “reliability and resilience of our nation’s grid” and asked the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission, which oversees regional electricity markets, to guarantee extra compensation to any power plants that can stockpile at least 90 days’ worth of fuel on-site — which, in effect, meant subsidizing coal and nuclear plants. (Natural gas plants are usually fed by pipeline and would not qualify.)

While a few power companies with significant coal and nuclear capacity supported the idea, Mr. Perry’s proposal generated a fierce backlash from a broad coalition of utilities, electricity consumers, and former regulators.

Critics argued that Mr. Perry’s proposal would upend competition in the nation’s electricity markets, which currently tend to favor the lowest-cost sources of power. And they pointed out that blackouts usually occurred because of problems to transmission lines, not because power plants had insufficient fuel on site.

In its decision, FERC largely sided with the critics, although it did say it would conduct its own separate investigation into the resiliency of the nation’s power system, asking grid operators for their own ideas. Four of the five members of the panel were nominated by President Trump.

“There is no evidence in the record to suggest that temporarily delaying the retirement of uncompetitive coal and nuclear generators would meaningfully improve the resilience of the grid,” the agency said. “Rather, the record demonstrates that, if a threat to grid resilience exists, the threat lies mostly with the transmission and distribution systems, where virtually all significant disruptions occur.”

Robert Mueller's investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 election is coming under growing attack from those most blinded by partisanship and -- in the case of the White House -- self-interest. Their motivations do not automatically render them wrong. A dispassionate review of the facts, however, does.

In Indiana, Missouri and Pennsylvania, President Trump used the same promise to sell the tax bill: It would bring jobs streaming back to struggling cities and towns.

“Factories will be pouring into this country,” Mr. Trump https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings-statements/remarks-president-trump-tax-reform-2/ in St. Charles, Mo., in November. “The tax cut will mean more companies moving to America, staying in America and hiring American workers right here.”

The bill that Mr. Trump signed, however, could actually make it attractive for companies to put more assembly lines on foreign soil.

Under the new law, income made by American companies’ overseas subsidiaries will face United States taxes that are half the rate applied to their domestic income, 10.5 percent compared with the new top corporate rate of 21 percent.

“It’s sort of an America-last tax policy,” said Kimberly Clausing, an economist at Reed College in Portland, Ore., who studies tax policy. “We are basically saying that if you earn in the U.S., you pay X, and if you earn abroad, you pay X divided by two.”

What could be more dangerous for American workers, economists said, is that the bill ends up creating a tax break for manufacturers with foreign operations. Under the new rules, beyond the lower rate, companies will not have to pay United States taxes on the money they earn from plants or equipment located abroad, if those earnings amount to 10 percent or less of the total investment.

The Republican vision for the tax plan was to make the United States a more competitive place to do business. Supporters contend that the new rules do not encourage companies to locate overseas. Rather, they say, slashing the corporate rate will make it more attractive to set up shop at home, since many other advanced economies now have higher taxes.

I am the very model of a Very Stable Genius,
I've got the biggest button and a very mighty penius,
I know words that are the best, my winning is historical.
(And also I did not collude and this is categorical.)
Don’t listen to the FBI and various Fake Mainstream News -
It was a locker room discourse and not a sexual abuse .
(Although I'm very, very best at grabbing female genitals)
And in the theater of war I know more than generals.
Despite of scourge of bone spurs in areas calcaneus,
I am the very model of a Very Stable Genius.

I’m very well acquainted, too, with matters arithmetical:
My crowds were extremely big and not at al patheticall,
I quote in iambus all the crimes of Evil Crooked Hilary,
And I instruct my DoD in matters of artillery.
I never golf or take days off, athletic and resilient,
And Vladimir the Great himself once said that I was brilliant.
Don’t listen to the media, they all are fake and heinous –

I got a medal and a sword from the Saudi Royalty,
My very bestest cabinet tells me of their loyalty,
I can explain to Rocket Man the physics of the fusion –
And many, many people say there was no collusion.
There isn’t any field in which my knowledge could be iffy,
I even know, I believe, True Meaning Of Covfefe
I labor every day and night on tweets that are ingenuous,

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/forget-fire-and-fury-trump-authored-his-own-tell-all-long-ago/2018/01/08/8ca05476-f4b6-11e7-b34a-b85626af34ef_story.html?outputType=comment&commentId=fe6ca7ad-1de2-4e47-a697-af864a6a555a (Opinion | Trump has already authored his own tell-all)

Amid the public discourse of fake news and President Trump's announcement via Twitter about his planned "fake news" awards ceremony, CPJ is recognizing world leaders who have gone out of their way to attack the press and undermine the norms that support freedom of the media. From an unparalleled fear of their critics and the truth, to a relentless commitment to censorship, these five leaders and the runner-ups in their categories have gone above and beyond to silence critical voices and weaken democracy.

Overall Achievement in Undermining Global Press Freedom
Winner: President Donald Trump, United States

The United States, with its First Amendment protection for a free press, has long stood as a https://cpj.org/blog/2013/10/the-us-press-is-our-press.php for independent media around the world. While previous U.S. presidents have each criticized the press to some degree, they have also made public commitments to uphold its essential role in democracy, at home and abroad.

Trump, by contrast, has consistently https://cpj.org/blog/2017/05/with-press-freedom-under-attack-worldwide-us-is-se.php such as Xi, Erdoğan, and Sisi. Authorities in China, Syria, and Russia have adopted Trump's "fake news" epithet, and Erdoğan has applauded at least one of his verbal attacks on journalists.

Under Trump's administration, the Department of Justice has failed to commit to guidelines intended to protect journalists' sources, and the State Department has https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/tillerson-argues-state-departments-main-focus-should-be-on-us-security/2017/06/13/0438ebdc-503f-11e7-be25-3a519335381c_story.html?utm_term=.e22298dbde40 (proposed to cut funding) for international organizations that help buttress international norms in support of free expression.

As Trump and other Western powers fail to pressure the world's most repressive leaders into improving the climate for press freedom, the number of https://cpj.org/reports/2017/12/journalists-prison-jail-record-number-turkey-china-egypt.php.