Trump Timeline ... Trumpocalypse

The Trump administration https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/trump-administration-opens-door-to-let-states-impose-medicaid-work-requirements/2018/01/11/d6374482-f628-11e7-a9e3-ab18ce41436a_story.html?hpid=hp_hp-top-table-main_medicaidwork-646am%3Ahomepage%2Fstory&utm_term=.e39b59faf106 (has just announced that it will allow states to impose work and other requirements on recipients of Medicaid). This is a big change. After the failure to repeal the Affordable Care Act, this is meant to begin rewriting the social contract at the core of government-sponsored medical insurance, and especially the ACA’s Medicaid expansion, shifting away from the notion that health coverage should be available to those who cannot afford it as a matter of societal right. As such, it may have a negative impact on untold numbers of Trump voters.

The core ideological idea behind the change is that Medicaid can be improved by using it to incentivize (i.e., require) able-bodied adults to work, or seek job training or education, or enter into other forms of “community engagement” to collect benefits. The federal government https://www.medicaid.gov/federal-policy-guidance/downloads/smd18002.pdf states to “test” such policies to improve the “well-being” or foster the “independence” of Medicaid enrollees. The Obama administration had refused to grant such requests by states, on the grounds that such requirements don’t “further the objectives” of Medicaid. The Trump administration thinks these requirements will further those objectives.

Such requirements are likely to be imposed in states carried by Trump. The Post https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/trump-administration-opens-door-to-let-states-impose-medicaid-work-requirements/2018/01/11/d6374482-f628-11e7-a9e3-ab18ce41436a_story.html?hpid=hp_hp-top-table-main_medicaidwork-646am%3Ahomepage%2Fstory&utm_term=.c1f25aeb7fbc (reports that 10 states are already trying to get permission) to impose them, almost all of them red states. This, among other things, leads Harold Pollack, a health-policy expert at the University of Chicago, to conclude that “Medicaid work requirements may hit Trump country hardest.”

“They could hit underemployed early-retirees who now find themselves reliant on Medicaid,” Pollack told me today. “They could hit surprising numbers of people with disabilities — including addiction to opioids — who are covered under the ACA Medicaid expansion but can’t fill the requirements. They could hit hospitals in low-income rural areas that provide services to people who have lost Medicaid and can’t pay.”

@MythotiK and @OldmanRob

Both of you fellas (who both appear to be Trump fans or at least republicans) are in the pacific northwest where pot is legal in your states. How do you feel about Sessions (our attorney general) rescinding an Obama mandate to federal prosecutors to not interfere (and not prosecute) with state's rights on rec marijuana use? How are you going to feel if you/your neighbor/local business owner is indicted on federal marijuana charges? Seriously, how do you reconcile this paradox?

Congratulations are in order for https://www.vanityfair.com/people/donald-trump#intcid=dt-hot-link, who has managed a groundbreaking achievement as president: in less than a year since taking office, the president has lied more than 2,000 times, according to The Washington Post. For a presidency with so few concrete achievements, that’s cause enough for celebration. So Jimmy Kimmel went ahead and made a commemorative documentary for this very special occasion—recruiting “experts,” including a (fake) Washington Post fact-checker, to tell a full, riveting story recapping all of Trump’s best lies in office.

“He is, quite simply, the Babe Ruth of bullshit,” Post fact-checker character Geoffrey Russk says early on in the short doc, titled Pants of Fire: The Road to 2,000 Lies.“He is the greatest liar of all time.”

As Kimmel’s experts noted, Trump got off to a blistering start, logging lie after lie in the days following his inauguration: he lied about the weather at the ceremony, the crowd size, and his victory margin over https://www.vanityfair.com/people/hillary-clinton#intcid=dt-hot-link. “What can you compare it to?” Russk wonders aloud in the doc. “Michael Phelps in ‘08? Roger Bannisterrunning the four-minute mile? A young Tiger Woods? It’s unfathomable.”

The most surreal part of all of this is how much time the president has left to tell even more lies. As epistemology professor “Jakob Milden” noted, “He’s got three more years. Or maybe even seven. Or maybe six months. Who the hell knows?”

@MythotiK and @OldmanRob

Both of you fellas (who both appear to be Trump fans or at least republicans) are in the pacific northwest where pot is legal in your states. How do you feel about Sessions (our attorney general) rescinding an Obama mandate to federal prosecutors to not interfere (and not prosecute) with state's rights on rec marijuana use? How are you going to feel if you/your neighbor/local business owner is indicted on federal marijuana charges? Seriously, how do you reconcile this paradox?

Personally, I don't agree with their decision but I'm not about to start hating on President Trump or Jeff Sessions based on one thing I don't agree with.

If pot were to become illegal again it won't change a thing in Washington.

Pot has always been easy to get, we never needed the pot shops. They are more expensive than getting it from the local guys. I seldomly buy at the pot shops.

If we lose legal weed but get a nice big wall on our southern border I will take that trade off a thousand times over.

Personally, I don't agree with their decision but I'm not about to start hating on President Trump or Jeff Sessions based on one thing I don't agree with.

If pot were to become illegal again it won't change a thing in Washington.

Pot has always been easy to get, we never needed the pot shops. They are more expensive than getting it from the local guys. I seldomly buy at the pot shops.

If we lose legal weed but get a nice big wall on our southern border I will take that trade off a thousand times over.

Thx for your reply.

I’m also in a legal pot state. It would be a huge hit to our local tax base if the feds came in and shut down the stores. I like the pot tax because it brings in significant amount of tax revenue from tourists, thus increasing our tax collections without burdening local taxpayers.

Agreed on the expense of stores...I get my ganja from friends or just grow it myself.

President Trump grew frustrated with lawmakers Thursday in the Oval Office when they floated restoring protections for immigrants from Haiti, El Salvador and African countries as part of a bipartisan immigration deal, according to two people briefed on the meeting.

“Why are we having all these people from shithole countries come here?” Trump said, according to these people, referring to African countries and Haiti. He then suggested that the United States should instead bring more people from countries like Norway, whose prime minister he met yesterday.

President Trump grew frustrated with lawmakers Thursday in the Oval Office when they floated restoring protections for immigrants from Haiti, El Salvador and African countries as part of a bipartisan immigration deal, according to two people briefed on the meeting.

“Why are we having all these people from shithole countries come here?” Trump said, according to these people, referring to African countries and Haiti. He then suggested that the United States should instead bring more people from countries like Norway, whose prime minister he met yesterday.

WASHINGTON—President Donald Trump suggested he has developed a positive relationship with North Korea’s leader despite their mutual public insults, signaling a possible new openness to diplomacy after months of escalating tensions over the rogue state’s nuclear program.

“I probably have a very good relationship with Kim Jong Un, ” Mr. Trump said in an interview Thursday with The Wall Street Journal. “I have relationships with people. I think you people are surprised.”

Asked if he has spoken with Mr. Kim, Mr. Trump said: ”I don’t want to comment on it. I’m not saying I have or haven’t. I just don’t want to comment.”

Mr. Trump’s new comments on North Korea, with which the U.S. has no formal diplomatic relations, came amid a wide-ranging, 45-minute interview in the Oval Office. Seated behind the Resolute Desk, dressed in a dark blue suit, a white-and-blue striped tie and a white shirt with “45” monogrammed on the sleeves (a reference to his status as the 45th U.S. president), Mr. Trump talked about several aspects of the first year of his presidency.

After repeatedly calling for Mexico to pay for a border wall, he said for the first time that negotiations to revise the North American Free Trade Agreement may yield, in effect, the funding for construction of the wall.

Well the S&P closed at another RECORD HIGH!!

All Trumps fault [emoji6][emoji6]

Hmm ... What do they have in common ...

Thx for your reply.

I’m also in a legal pot state. It would be a huge hit to our local tax base if the feds came in and shut down the stores. I like the pot tax because it brings in significant amount of tax revenue from tourists, thus increasing our tax collections without burdening local taxpayers.

Agreed on the expense of stores...I get my ganja from friends or just grow it myself.

I do think the tax dollars are good.