Trump Timeline ... Trumpocalypse

Jewish brawl on CNN signals breakup of the pro-Israel monolith in the Trump era

US Politics

Philip Weiss

Rabbi Shmuley Boteach and Steven Bannon, an image posted on Boteach's twitter feed on December 7

     

The splintering of the American Jewish consensus on Israel continues apace. Liberal Zionists are organizing against Trump, and finding themselves in coalition with anti-Zionists. Rightwing Zionists are backing Trump to the hilt, and aligning with settlers/racists/nationalists of all description.

This week rightwing Rabbi Shmuley Boteach tweeted a photograph of himself with Trump strategist Steve Bannon, inviting widespread scorn. Bannon is an “incredible Zionist,” who “loves Israel,” vouches Jared Kushner, the president-elect’s son-in law (who had me fired ten years ago).

So what. Bannon’s other social values are repugnant to liberal Zionists. J Street is petitioning against Bannon’s appointment. And Peace Now is protesting the decision by the Conference of Presidents of Major American Jewish Organizations, of which it is a member, to hold its Hanukkah party in a Trump hotel this coming Wednesday in partnership with Azerbaijan. The Forward reports that eight groups, all stalwart Zionist, will boycott the party.

So Trump is doing what even Netanyahu could not do: shatter the Jewish establishment monolith in the United States. I appealed to Peace Now to break with the Conference of Presidents again and again in the past over settlements and the Iran deal. They didn’t say a word. Though now Peace Now’s leaders tell us they did so privately: “Dear Stephen [Greenberg] and Malcolm [Hoenlein]… We have communicated with you many times in the past about the need to seek consensus among CoP members regarding sensitive decisions and positions.”

The argument is public as never before. On Thursday night on CNN, Don Lemon had to break up a fight between Boteach and Peter Beinart and a Jewish Trump supporter named Andy Dean. All these guys support Israel, but they were at each others’ throats. Dean called Jonathan Greenblatt of the Anti Defamation League a “far left guy” for his criticisms of Steve Bannon. And called the ADL a “far left group.” Even though the ADL opposes Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions (BDS), and has vilified Keith Ellison, it’s far left?

Beinart countered that the reason the ADL opposes Bannon is that it’s “concerned about misogyny, racism and Islamophobia.”

Message: Jews care about other values besides Israel. “I wouldn’t accuse Steve Bannon of being an anti-Semite,” Beinart said. He noted that at his former perch at Breitbart news, Bannon ran a racist piece praising the Confederate flag, ran demeaning articles about women, and anti-Muslim pieces, too. I’m with Beinart on this. There’s no real evidence that Bannon is anti-Semitic, and plenty of evidence that he doesn’t like Muslims. (In this Vatican speech in 2014 he spoke of “long history of the Judeo-Christian struggle against Islam.” He has praised Israel and run lots of pro-Israel articles. It’s become common on the left now to refer to Steve Bannon as an anti-Semite, with reference to the famous Trump ad that pictured George Soros, Janet Yellen and Lloyd Blankfein, among others, as part of Clinton’s global elite that is hurting ordinary Americans. I’m not convinced. Part of the price of taking prominent positions is getting pictured in populist ads.)

Back to my point. The CNN argument shows the shattering of the Jewish establishment brought on by Trump. Peace Now and Beinart too are now aligned with non-Zionist voices Jewish Voice for Peace and IfNotNow over Trump. This breakup of consensus will no doubt lead in time to anti-Zionists getting a hearing in the mainstream. And it could have repercussions in Israel too. So Trump is bad for the Israel lobby, as Yakov Hirsch keeps saying.

Rabbi Shmuley Boteach writes an open letter to Jonathan Greenblatt, CEO of the Anti-Defamation League, to defend former Breitbart News Executive Chairman Stephen K. Bannon against accusations of anti-Semitism — which erupted after president-elect Donald Trump announced that Bannon would serve as White House Chief Strategist.

From The Hill:

You recently attacked Bannon’s appointment as senior adviser to the president, saying, “It is a sad day when a man who presided over the premier website of the ‘alt-right’ — a loose-knit group of white nationalists and unabashed anti-Semites and racists — is slated to be a senior staff member in the ‘people’s house.’” Your comment was widely — though perhaps unfairly — interpreted as accusing Bannon of anti-Semitism.

I barely know Mr. Bannon, having met him for the first time last week at The New York Hilton. But I do know Joel Pollak, an orthodox Jew who is my friend of many years and is a senior editor at Breitbart. Joel is one of the proudest Jews I know and one of the premier fighters for Israel in the national media.

He tells me that Steve Bannon has shown him, and the many other Jewish employees at Breitbart, especially those who are observant, incredible sensitivity and flexibility in helping them always keep the Sabbath and observe the Jewish holidays.

In addition, Breitbart has served as one of the leading publications in The United States that strongly opposed the Iran nuclear agreement, with its $150 billion given to the murderous Mullahs and their genocidal promise to perpetrate a second holocaust of the Jewish people.

I know this is close to both our hearts. Your wife was forced to flee the bloodthirsty Khomeini regime as a teenager. My father and his family were lucky to leave Iran well before Khomeini came to power.

In light of this fact, why would you immediately assume that Breitbart is anti-Semitic? Some of the world’s leading publications — including The New York Times — extolled the virtues of the Iran deal even though it never even punished the Iranian regime for being in constant violation of the 1948 UN Anti-Genocide Convention which expressly forbids genocidal incitement.

Even the ADL opposed the Iran deal and Breitbart stood with the pro-Israel community in making the argument against an agreement that legally gives Iran nuclear weapons in little over a decade.

Breitbart also defends Israel constantly against the anti-Semitic BDS movement whose goal is the economic destruction of the State of Israel.

That does not mean that we need agree with everything published on Breitbart or that there will not be columns we find offensive.

I write for many publications, some more on the left, like The Daily Beast and The Huffington Post, some considered in the middle like CNN, The Washington Post, and The Hill, and some more to the right like The Wall Street Journal and Breitbart. I also write for Israel-based publications like The Jerusalem Post and The Times of Israel, with their differing editorial slants. In all those publications there are those with whom I agree and disagree with strongly.

I have published hundreds of columns in The Huffington Post and consider Arianna Huffington a personal friend. I can tell you that I shared the home page many times with people who vilified Israel in pretty extreme terms. I never took offense. And I certainly never called the editors there anti-Semitic. Rather, I saw the attacks on Israel as an opportunity to respond intelligently and forcefully.

The Jewish people, as you and I can both agree, face a new era of increased anti-Semitism, especially among Islamist governments and increasingly in Europe. We have real enemies who need to be combatted. Israel especially faces three emboldened, genocidal enemies: Hamas, Hezbollah and Iran. Breitbart columnists have stood strongly against all three.

Because trump, who's far from picked all of his cabinet members, has about 70% white males makes him a racist, lol. Keep drinking the cool aid.
10 of 13 seats ? Lol Sure bud pass the Kool aid will ya! Better yet open your eyes maybe !? Not surprising since you don't believe in Climate change either.

10 of 13 seats ? Lol Sure bud pass the Kool aid will ya! Better yet open your eyes maybe !? Not surprising since you don't believe in Climate change either.
Naw, I just don't believe things because I'm told to.

These headlines were created by the dems and the left to create fear and degelitimize Trump. They are created specifically for people who have a hard time thinking for themselves and enjoy the dramatic illogical connections these articles create. In short, if you're not smart enough to see through the fog of bullshit the left are creating...well...

JFK, LBJ, Nixon, Ronald "just say no to drugs" Reagan, Clinton, Obama.....You've been lied to and fucked over for a long time people. How many of our kids were lost in Vietnam? (average age about 22) more than 58,000 on the wall. It was more than that! How about Laos, Cambodia?... Somewhere around three to five million people died over there. We'll never know. How many people died in the Contra mess? 40,000? 50,000? we'll never know. How many lives have been destroyed by drugs brought into this country with the help of this government? we'll never know. How many of our troops died in Iraq and Afganistan? 5000 or more? Not to mentiom those suffering from PSTD (which by the way was not known for the Nam vets). How many lives have been destroyed by all this? wives, children, husbands, family's. Now your bitching about Hillary and Trump. Trump said he is going to make America great again. I'm not really sure what Hillary said she was going to do. Just what do you people want? Now everybody's in a tither because some emails showed what kind of assholes have been and are running your country (your lives). What do you want this country to be? What do the trump supporters mean when they say they want America to be GREAT again? What do the Clinton supporters WANT for this country? I'm more than a little confused by all this rhetoric and histeria.
"I see, said the blind man to the deaf mute".
Does anybody here have a clue?

Must be just coincidence right? Oh wait it's the media lying again right? SMH! cough bigot cough

Donald Trump's Proposed Cabinet Is Very White, And Very Male | The Huffington Post
Why is the only diversity you people care about is skin color or gender? Considering blacks are what 13% of the population you think they should have equal representation? To call someone a bigot over his cabinet choices is ignorant and again is one of the reasons he was elected. We get it, everyone that doesn't agree with you is racist,sexist,homophobic, and all the other buzz words in the left handbook. All my friends are white though so what do I know since apparently I'm also a bigot since my circle of friends lack diversity of color. Ridiculous.

Why is the only diversity you people care about is skin color or gender? Considering blacks are what 13% of the population you think they should have equal representation? To call someone a bigot over his cabinet choices is ignorant and again is one of the reasons he was elected. We get it, everyone that doesn't agree with you is racist,sexist,homophobic, and all the other buzz words in the left handbook. All my friends are white though so what do I know since apparently I'm also a bigot since my circle of friends lack diversity of color. Ridiculous.
Did I say if you don't agree with me you are a bigot? I must have missed that part. The fact doesn't change 10 out 13 white males is the most lopsided cabinet of all previous presidential cabinets. So call it what you want my friend. I will call it how I see it and we can agree to disagree.

Did I say if you don't agree with me you are a bigot? I must have missed that part. The fact doesn't change 10 out 13 white males is the most lopsided cabinet of all previous presidential cabinets. So call it want you want my friend. I will call it how I see it and we can agree to disagree.
See, we're still differentiating people by color. Who gives a shit what color his cabinet is?!! Ya know what, again, I have to bow out. Too much bs for me

See, we're still differentiating people by color. Who gives a shit what color his cabinet is?!! Ya know what, again, I have to bow out. Too much bs for me
Lol wow ok let's just hire some more Supremacy white males then. Who cares about skin color right?

The fact doesn't change 10 out 13 white males is the most lopsided cabinet of all previous presidential cabinets.

Not true

Also, Obama was blasted for having a cabinet lacking in diversity. Charlie Rangel blasted him on MSNbc for a lack of diversity in his cabinet for his second term at a whopping 69% white males.
Trump isn't even done choosing his cabinet.

ObamaCabinetLacksDiversity310x194.jpg

Sponsors