What R U Eating ? ~OGH wants to know.....

By the way, I quickly get tired of eating beef, lamb, fish, but I can eat chicken tastier in any form. Does everyone have it?
Yes, I have to have variety. I love all meat, most food for that matter. But I require getting creative with my meals because I simply cannot eat the same thing everyday, regardless of the goals I'm attempting to achieve at the time.

Yes, I have to have variety. I love all meat, most food for that matter. But I require getting creative with my meals because I simply cannot eat the same thing everyday, regardless of the goals I'm attempting to achieve at the time.
Yes, my wife is the same, she cannot eat meat at the same time. But I can eat chicken as much as I want and not get bored. She tells me that I will soon turn into a chicken myself :)

Gentlemen, what are your favorite turkey recipes. I only do well on the grill, otherwise the meat is very dry. :)
I keep mine simple if I cook it in the oven, I prefer to smoke it of course.

I just generously season inside and out with whatever I'm in the mood for.
Dry rub maybe like:
Himalayan sea salt, fresh ground black pepper
Granulated garlic
Smoked paprika
Red chili flakes
Fresh cilantro, oregano

I rarely measure anything; usually just what looks and tastes right.

I open that bitch up and force in an orange or two, quartered.

A mop sauce is a must for me. Usually EVOO, some leftover rub, some liquid smoke, maybe a hot or bbq sauce and plop that stuff on every hour or so, depending how low and slow I'm cooking according to the size is.

For an approximate example, for a 15lb turkey I may do 200° for around 7-8 hours, checking every 45 minutes to an hour. If overnight, I'll cover it in foil and reduce the heat depending on when I plan to wake up. Always low and slow, regardless of size, though. Still with the mop sauce before and after bed.

I never puncture turkey with a meat thermometer... actually I try to avoid it on most meats, using the 'finger to palm' safe done test. The more holes, the more options for dryness to occur. This is just what I do, anyway.

Last edited:
I keep mine simple if I cook it in the oven, I prefer to smoke it of course.

I just generously season inside and out with whatever I'm in the mood for.
Dry rub maybe like:
Himalayan sea salt, fresh ground black pepper
Granulated garlic
Smoked paprika
Red chili flakes
Fresh cilantro, oregano

I rarely measure anything; usually just what looks and tastes right.

I open that bitch up and force in an orange or two, quartered.

A mop sauce is a must for me. Usually EVOO, some leftover rub, some liquid smoke, maybe a hot or bbq sauce and plop that stuff on every hour or so, depending how low and slow I'm cooking according to the size is.

For an approximate example, for a 15lb turkey I may do 200° for around 7-8 hours, checking every 45 minutes to an hour. If overnight, I'll cover it in foil and reduce the heat depending on when I plan to wake up. Always low and slow, regardless of size, though. Still with the mop sauce before and after bed.

I never puncture turkey with a meat thermometer... actually I try to avoid it on most meats, using the 'finger to palm' safe done test. The more holes, the more options for dryness to occur. This is just what I do, anyway.
Thank you so much for such detailed recipes. I will try.

Basmati rice, for a side dish, a little stewed markings with onions and garlic.
Beetroot with garlic
And a cucumber and tomato salad.

Family was sick as fuck all week, so we doordashed on turkey day.
Just got around to making the turkey last night.

Made a butter, garlic and herb (rosemary and thyme) spread and packed it between the skin and meat.
A little more spread on the outside of whole bird.
Olive oil rub
Generous amounts of salt and pepper all over and in cavity.
Whole garlic bulbs split and thrown in cavity.
Smoker for 3+ hours
Rest for 30+ mins
Best turkey I've ever had. I won't be waiting a year to do this again.

20221126_213423.jpg

Back