What R U Eating ? ~OGH wants to know.....

Actually, on a Keto diet, you should want bacon over lean ham or lean anything for that matter. Too much protein can knock you out of ketosis - assuming that's where you want to be. If you are steadily losing weight, then it may not matter much, but if you hit a plateau you need to go for fat over protein and make sure you don't overdo it with calories.

What am I eating? In no particular order...

Grass fed beef, full fat yogurt, kale (this one is a winner raw or cooked in bacon drippings or butter with onions, peppers, and Celtic Sea salt*), Alaskan salmon, eggs (of course!), coconut milk, olive oil, raw nuts and cheese for snacks. Try goat cheese (when it goes on sale because nobody ever buys it at the regular price) with blueberries when you get a chance; the combination is incredible.

Breakfast was mixed berries with heavy cream and almond milk. Coffee.

Snack was sliced avocado with a small can of tuna.

Dinner will be ground lamb with onions, mint, and cilantro. Brown it in its own fat and eat immediately. Side salad of raw sliced peppers, cucumbers, and olives.

*Throw away that Morton's table salt crap and start using this. Get your iodine from eating seafood at least twice a week. Persimmons - if you can get them - are also a good source of iodine.
I LOVE kale, spinach, or even green beans slow cooked in bacon grease/bits.

You can get a big bag of irregular bacon cuts and a couple bags of spinach or kale, and you have yourself a sultry lil southern meal.

Thanks for digging up that oldie, Tren.

On some other thread I believe I mentioned that the low-carb/keto approach needs to be centered on beef (preferably grass fed) and lamb. The reason is twofold:

1.Cows and sheep are fat converters, while chickens and pigs are not.

2. Chickens and pigs are fully in the industrial farming scheme and, as a result, are fed way too much omega 6 fat (grains!) which they accumulate in their own fat and then pass on to us when consumed. When consumed in excess - and the standard western diet qualifies - Omega 6 fats are inflammatory and cause weight gain. In the 'old days' hogs were fed barley and skim milk - in Europe they still do this - but now, in the US and Canada, its grains or grain-based slop. Somewhere on the internet you can find a side-by-side picture of the bacon produced by each type of feed where the 'grain-based' bacon sags under its own weight while the barley/skim-milk version is stiff/straight. Has to do with loss of cell integrity from all the polyunsaturates (omega 6) and healthfulness of the hogs themselves...

That isn't to say we should NEVER eat chicken or pork (specifically, chicken fat and pork fat) but stick with lean cuts and add natural healthy fats (butter, olive oil, beef tallow) in the cooking step. OTOH, some bacon fat every now and then certainly isn't going to hurt anyone!

Btw, this thread (since 2014!) is just off-the-hook, F'ing AWESOME !!

Last edited:
Finally. Got just a bit more done than would've liked due to a short lived family emergency that took me away from the smoker too long

Still turned out great. Melts in my mouth.
View attachment 176844
View attachment 176845
Now that looks good.
One reason I always go tri tip over brisket is because I like my red meat to maintain some red/pink. Every smokehouse or anywhere Ive had brisket it's always great, no pink and just tastes overcooked dry meat to me.

What temp were you shooting for? Seems like recipes I've read call for like 190+ or something.

Now that looks good.
One reason I always go tri tip over brisket is because I like my red meat to maintain some red/pink. Every smokehouse or anywhere Ive had brisket it's always great, no pink and just tastes overcooked dry meat to me.

What temp were you shooting for? Seems like recipes I've read call for like 190+ or something.
I love tri tip too, really any meat. Any cut of red meat, well most I suppose, I prefer rare. Medium rare at the very most.

I can't stand chewy, overcooked brisket. I'm always baffled when I see people apparently enjoying what must be like eating shoe leather. When I make mine I shoot for 165-170 then immediately wrap in foil. Depending on the size I'll either place in a cooler (empty of course, no ice) or in a covered Tupperware type dish for about 20-30 minutes. Keeps them so damn juicy.

I experiment with wood too. This time I just chunked up some firewood I had from last year and soaked the pieces in a mix of maple syrup, cut up bacon with some grease, water, bay leaves, garlic, paprika, some brown sugar...I think they turned out great and created very nice smoke.

It was about 25° outside here today but I don't care, when I get the urge to smoke or grill, hell and high water couldn't stop me. Good or bad, I just love making food.

I love tri tip too, really any meat. Any cut of red meat, well most I suppose, I prefer rare. Medium rare at the very most.

I can't stand chewy, overcooked brisket. I'm always baffled when I see people apparently enjoying what must be like eating shoe leather. When I make mine I shoot for 165-170 then immediately wrap in foil. Depending on the size I'll either place in a cooler (empty of course, no ice) or in a covered Tupperware type dish for about 20-30 minutes. Keeps them so damn juicy.

I experiment with wood too. This time I just chunked up some firewood I had from last year and soaked the pieces in a mix of maple syrup, cut up bacon with some grease, water, bay leaves, garlic, paprika, some brown sugar...I think they turned out great and created very nice smoke.

It was about 25° outside here today but I don't care, when I get the urge to smoke or grill, hell and high water couldn't stop me. Good or bad, I just love making food.
Same here brother, I cook throughout the week, but sunday's are my day to cook all day and try shit.
I've got an insulation blanket for my smoker, works pretty good.

Same here brother, I cook throughout the week, but sunday's are my day to cook all day and try shit.
I've got an insulation blanket for my smoker, works pretty good.
I need to look into getting one of those!

Yeah the extended forecast is calling for single digits next week... I'll be bundled up in a few layers for sure but it's so worth it. Especially on days when I get my heavy lifts in on leg, chest, arm, back days, maybe it's me, but the cold can be invigorating. At least until it feels like my dick is gonna freeze and snap off.

Now that looks good.

Brisket is the only beef that tastes better cooked all the way. You bring it up to that temp to render all the fat that's in it. It's a tough muscle and if you don't cook it long enough it will be terrible. That said, lots of people places suck at cooking it. It should still be moist

Brisket is the only beef that tastes better cooked all the way. You bring it up to that temp to render all the fat that's in it. It's a tough muscle and if you don't cook it long enough it will be terrible. That said, lots of people places suck at cooking it. It should still be moist
My post should have said gray, not great.
But ya, I just don't think it's my fave, even when I've had it moist, it still tastes like overcooked meat to me.

Logan said what I was going to, you need 190°+ to break down the collagen and connective tissue in that particular cut. I eat all other beef at like 125°-130°, but brisket goes higher. I’ll cook to 160°-ish, and wrap with foil, pull at 195°-200°, wrap in blankets or towels, throw it in a cooler for a couple of hours. It melts when you cut and chew it. I think the dried out briskets you get are from running on smoke until you pull them. They retain hardly and juices or fats.

It's definitely a peculiar piece of meat that can either be great or simply inedible, depending how it's made.

This is what I do too, I remove mine at a lower temp and after wrapping the juices just retain while the meat continues to cook. When my thermometer shows 188-200 or so, it's usually perfect for me - very thinly sliced with a super sharp blade.

My personal favorite cuts are a classic strip or T-Bone and that goes from cow to hog to bison to venison... But anything cooked right is good for my belly.

Never gets old. I rarely make it with chicken and decided to do shredded. Typically I make it with ground Nilgai, ground Turkey or smoked Turkey breast.

Shredded chicken, brown rice, black beans, pico, green onions and humble sauces (which adds such a flavorful taste)

7BEEC35A-592B-480E-AA33-ABC0BA607F4C.jpeg

4F328ED2-ABEB-424A-8564-77E262A1D9F3.jpeg

Back