Dogs

In my larger family, in addition to the cute dog, there are two more cats. But here I think you should not spam them with pictures. I have always loved animals and they always surround me.

Although we still miss our beautiful boy Cooper we decided we still had alot of love to give to another puppy. We felt it was a good decision to continue the healing process and create new memories and bring some more joy into our lives.

Meet our new puppy Blu. He is a Blue Nose Pitbull Terrier and he is the biggest suck in the world... We are bonding more and more each day.

IMG_20220314_121426.jpgIMG_20220314_114700.jpgIMG_20220314_105038.jpgIMG_20220215_093534.jpgIMG_20220223_121207.jpg

Although we still miss our beautiful boy Cooper we decided we still had alot of love to give to another puppy. We felt it was a good decision to continue the healing process and create new memories and bring some more joy into our lives.

Meet our new puppy Blu. He is a Blue Nose Pitbull Terrier and he is the biggest suck in the world... We are bonding more and more each day.

View attachment 161828View attachment 161829View attachment 161830View attachment 161831View attachment 161832
What beautiful eyes the dog has and the dog himself is magnificent. Dogs are happiness and more than a family member.

Found out Tuesday a mass on my Bruce’s rump was cancerous. Booked him in for surgery asap which happened Thursday.

They took out three tumours and really tried to keep the stitches to a minimum.

He’s sleeping away the day on some painkillers while I keep an eye on him. I know we all say this but my dog is my whole world so the thought of losing him to Cancer is a terrifying thought. He’s only 7.

FB45D758-83E4-45D5-9F9C-AEF1427C3B0B.jpegB3A52B6B-F3F7-43CC-B638-21D3174913B9.jpeg

Found out Tuesday a mass on my Bruce’s rump was cancerous. Booked him in for surgery asap which happened Thursday.

He’s sleeping away the day on some painkillers while I keep an eye on him. I know we all say this but my dog is my whole world so the thought of losing him to Cancer is a terrifying thought. He’s only 7.

View attachment 163335View attachment 163336
He will overcome cancer and he will not leave you. A dog for a person is more than a member of the family, I completely understand you. Patience and faith.

photo_2022-04-01_11-08-25.jpg
Ollie regularly eats, sleeps and grows. Already 11 months behind us, soon we will be a year old.

Attachments

• photo_2022-04-01_11-08-20.jpg
    photo_2022-04-01_11-08-20.jpg
    306.7 KB · Views: 1

View attachment 163335View attachment 163336
Wish him a speedy recover brother. I'm so happy you caught it before it was too late!

Wish him a speedy recover brother. I'm so happy you caught it before it was too late!
It's been pretty amazing watching Bruce bounce back. It's only been 6 days but you wouldn't guess he had surgery if it weren't for the stitches and shaved leg. Within 24hours of surgery he was eating and pooping fine and jumping onto his couch without any issue. He's not even bothered by it and though keeping a close eye on him, he's not tried to lick the area once. So far he's avoided the cone of shame for the most part but the first four nights I made him wear the cone to sleep since it's hard to supervise in your sleep.

Thanks for your kind words. I'm glad we caught it early too.

They’re All Good Dogs, and It Has Nothing to Do With Their Breed
Retrievers that don’t retrieve and Papillons that point are all possible because the genes that shape dog behavior predate modern breeding that focuses on appearance, researchers find.
They’re All Good Dogs, and It Has Nothing to Do With Their Breed

Don’t judge a book by its cover. Don’t judge a dog by its breed.

After conducting owner surveys for 18,385 dogs and sequencing the genomes of 2,155 dogs, a group of researchers reported a variety of findings in the journal Science on Thursday, including that for predicting some dog behaviors, breed is essentially useless, and for most, not very good. For instance, one of the clearest findings in the massive, multifaceted study is that breed has no discernible effect on a dog’s reactions to something it finds new or strange. https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/science.abk0639

This behavior is related to what the nonscientist might call aggression and would seem to cast doubt on breed stereotypes of aggressive dogs, like pit bulls. One thing pit bulls did score high on was human sociability, no surprise to anyone who has seen internet videos of lap-loving pit bulls. Labrador retriever ancestry, on the other hand, didn’t seem to have any significant correlation with human sociability.

This is not to say that there are no differences among breeds, or that breed can’t predict some things. If you adopt a Border collie, said Elinor Karlsson of the Broad Institute and the University of Massachusetts Chan Medical School, an expert in dog genomics and an author of the report, the probability that it will be easier to train and interested in toys “is going to be higher than if you adopt a Great Pyrenees.”

But for any given dog you just don’t know — on average, breed accounts for only about 9 percent of the variations in any given dog’s behavior. And no behaviors were restricted to any one breed, even howling, though the study found that behavior was more strongly associated with breeds like Siberian huskies than with other dogs...

What is your dog like?

Modern domestic dog breeds are only ~160 years old and are the result of selection for specific cosmetic traits. To investigate how genetics aligns with breed characteristics, Morrill et al. sequenced the DNA of more than 2000 purebred and mixed-breed dogs. These data, coupled with owner surveys, were used to map genes associated with behavioral and physical traits. Although many physical traits were associated with breeds, behavior was much more variable among individual dogs.

In general, physical trait heritability was a greater predictor of breed but was not necessarily a predictor of breed ancestry in mutts. Among behavioral traits, biddability—how well dogs respond to human direction—was the most heritable by breed but varied significantly among individual dogs. Thus, dog breed is generally a poor predictor of individual behavior and should not be used to inform decisions relating to selection of a pet dog. —LMZ

Morrill K, Hekman J, Li X, et al. Ancestry-inclusive dog genomics challenges popular breed stereotypes. Science;376:eabk0639. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.abk0639

Behavioral genetics in dogs has focused on modern breeds, which are isolated subgroups with distinctive physical and, purportedly, behavioral characteristics. We interrogated breed stereotypes by surveying owners of 18,385 purebred and mixed-breed dogs and genotyping 2155 dogs. Most behavioral traits are heritable [heritability (h2) > 25%], and admixture patterns in mixed-breed dogs reveal breed propensities.

Breed explains just 9% of behavioral variation in individuals. Genome-wide association analyses identify 11 loci that are significantly associated with behavior, and characteristic breed behaviors exhibit genetic complexity. Behavioral loci are not unusually differentiated in breeds, but breed propensities align, albeit weakly, with ancestral function.

We propose that behaviors perceived as characteristic of modern breeds derive from thousands of years of polygenic adaptation that predates breed formation, with modern breeds distinguished primarily by aesthetic traits.

Attachments

• Ancestry-inclusive dog genomics challenges popular breed stereotypes.pdf
    2.4 MB · Views: 0