Edward Snowden

Discussion in 'Security, Privacy & Anonymity' started by Millard Baker, Apr 2, 2015.

1. Michael Scally MD

Michael Scally MD Doctor of Medicine

Millard Baker likes this.
  2. hurricane

hurricane Member

I saw that interview and he is one smug arrogant bastard. And Mr. Snowden countries do indeed get rid of their spies when they no longer serve a purpose. And Russia does own and control you. They allow you to act like a fool because you have zero credibility. Putin could have him killed or handed over whenever he wants. I'm sorry but having served this country this scumbag makes my blood boil. I have to go sit down Dr Scally. My BP is rising and I don't want my pacemaker kicking in. LOL

3. Michael Scally MD

Michael Scally MD Doctor of Medicine

4. hurricane

hurricane Member

Definitely a PR win for Trump. I'm not so sure it won't affect Putin at all. Russians don't exactly look kindly upon us at this point in time.

5. DBlenks90

DBlenks90 Junior Member

Honestly the guy took a lot of effort to make sure that the safety of current operations remained in tact when he did what he did. I would never label him a traitor.

Personally I think people who do are missing the bigger picture. The US was founded on the principle of government held accountable by the people. Mass surveillance would have easily gotten to a point in the future where the people would have been powerless to stop the government from becoming totalitarian.

I don't see how doing what he did is "unAmerican". Actually, it's very American of him. Is that not what the colonies did to the Brits?

DedLift likes this.
  6. DedLift

DedLift Member

We're already at a point of total governmental control and regulation. If i send an email, text or even just have a conversation on an unsecured phone line, one has to assume it's being monitored. Snowdens biggest fear was that people would completely forget about everything he uncovered and it would fade into the background. We have short memories and the media ensures there are always plenty of distractions to keep us from uniting under any cause not endorsed by them.

DBlenks90, kawilt and master.on like this.
  7. master.on

master.on Member

Everyone should assume everything is recorded/monitored.

The funny thing is that criminals are the first to forget about it
    The Dumbest Criminals of 2015
    10 Of The Dumbest Criminals In The World - Listverse
    22 of the Dumbest Criminals to Ever Make Internet Headlines - TechEBlog
    8 Dumb Criminals Caught Through Facebook
    LOLOLOLOL

8. Juced

Juced Member

he is a hero. he is not a scum bag, thats the people he upset...

kawilt likes this.
  9. hurricane

hurricane Member

Maybe he's a hero to you. I proudly served my country almost 16 years and still work for the govt. What he did was treason and he put peoples lives at risk. Yeah what a fukin hero. LMAO

10. Juced

Juced Member

so getting sent to agenda driven wars is better? i feel for the solders, not the gov in this situation. dont blindly follow orders thinking just because its supposed to be for your country and not take in the fact alot of the time thats just hype for morale...
    the majorty of military operations are just as bad as the terrorists they talk about.
    but im not here to bash heads, I just dont agree with you and think blindly following any religion or military order is a joke in my eyes and nothing to be proud about..
    im not saying YOU did evil shit, I dont know where or what you served, there are good operations out there, but most (IMO) are BS. why do you think most of the world sees the US as a Terrorist threat? how do you justify drone attacks that kill many civilians and children and then in turn they attack you back and you call out "Terrorist" like there is no reason to the anger. killing on both sides is wrong and killing in general. you dont think those extremists dont believe the same BS thing when lifting up that gun? wake up man.
    I digress and sorry if i was a bit harsh but hey, its my and many others view... I LOVE America, but hate the gov, wish my country was alot farther away..

kawilt and DedLift like this.
  11. Juced

Juced Member

agreed....

12. hurricane

hurricane Member

As a devout Christian and PROUD veteran who served 3 tours in Afghanistan and 2 in Iraq I've earned the right to have a opinion on this. Don't be a Monday morning quarterback. We were attacked on 9/11 and I was happy to fight for my country. As a Christian I view what I did as being righteous in the eyes of my Lord. There is evil in this world. That evil needs to be eradicated. So your not American your saying. No soldier blindly follows orders. We all have a moral compass. As a USAF JTAC I was on the ground calling in 100's of airstrikes throughout my career. You can protest war and curse the military. You have that right. But don't ever question my integrity or anyone else who answered their countries call to serve. You haven't earned that right. However you justify it Snowden committed treason. If he was so righteous in his decision to disclose govt secrets, why did he run like a pussy? Because he knew what he did was wrong. I hope he is found dumped in a river with a round through his skull.

13. Docd187123

Docd187123 Member

Your Lord says thou shalt not kill....

Snowden ran bc righteous or not, the government would have imprisoned him for life. The government doesn't care if you're righteous.

DedLift and Juced like this.
  14. Juced

Juced Member

because he was to be treated as a terrorist and he knew it...
    one of my best friends and her husband have done many tours in aganistan (mostly training soldiers there) I still love them, same to you. (canada) just dont agree here on most points. i was brought up roman catholic btw (incase that matters) but do not follow the church, i feel they ruined Jesus points for the most part, but lets not get started on that.
    im sorry but what he brought to light shouldent even have been happening and i praise him for what he did..
    lets not get started on 9/11... dude pulls everyone to iraq while pissed and the US should have never gone there IMO , had nothing to do with it. weapons of mass destruction? yeah... guess they thought they still had some stock that was sold to them.. anyways I think he did the right thing and more should do it. the gov is owned by the people, not the other way around like they try to make it seem and be...
    if you truly think no single mission you where in could have been for a deeper hidden agenda then... well... i feel for you. but what ever helps you sleep

DedLift likes this.
  15. Juced

Juced Member

I was going to say something similar but didn't bother. I agree.
    Gov cares about their own and their own agendas, if they can make something into a good PR then even better... the whole of congress needs to be redone . prez doesnt matter so much, its congress + prez. sadly it would likely take a civil war before that happens... and ofcorse then all of those people would be "terrorists"...

16. hurricane

hurricane Member

Which he should be. Actually he should be killed. The Lord also states that evil must be confronted and defeated
    Doc you may know medical issues but you need to brush up on your Bible verses. Why don't you take a look at the old testament. Maybe you'll learn something. And he should be imprisoned. He committed treason. Is that breaking the law? Yes or no? Simple fukin question. Yes it is. Your all just trying to justify what he did. He's still a fukin criminal.

17. hurricane

hurricane Member

Obviously you've never served. My agenda on the ground was to protect my team members from being killed. We can agree to disagree. But the fact remains he committed treason. Whether or not you think it was the right thing to do is irrelevant. He would be treated like a terrorist because he was. Again you can approve what he did, it doesn't hide the fact that it was treason and illegal. That can't be disputed. Under U.S. law he is a criminal. All the rhetoric in the world can't change that.

18. Docd187123

Docd187123 Member

Definitely not the words of a devout Christian lol. These are the words of a man who pays lip service to Christianity.

Congratulations. Now show me where confronted and defeated actually mean KILL and maybe you'll have some sort of a point.

You need to brush up on your criminal law as I'll explain below.

the New Testament is supposed to be an "updated" version is it not? I mean, the Old Testament said polygamy was all fine and dandy among other things lol....

It's quote obvious you have NO clue what treason is so this is a pretty funny post. I don't mind doing the research for you so here is the ACTUAL definition of treason. Your homework for tonight is to figure out why treason doesn't apply here

Article Three, Section Three of the Constitution defines treason as follows:

"Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort. No Person shall be convicted of Treason unless on the Testimony of two Witnesses to the same overt Act, or on Confession in open Court. The Congress shall have Power to declare the Punishment of Treason, but no Attainder of Treason shall work Corruption of Blood, or Forfeiture except during the Life of the Person attainted."

Juced and DedLift like this.
  19. hurricane

hurricane Member

That's funny since the NSA and ex CIA director planned on charging him with just that. Also Snowden was willing to admit to treason if he would be tried outside of a military court and taking the death penalty off the table. How about Psalm 18:32 to start. I could give you at least 50 more examples. And don't question my love of Christianity you little fukin piss ant. And just a heads up smart guy. Since 9/11 charges for treason have been expanded beyond the scope your citing. But again you have zero knowledge of military law. You just proved that. Again medically you may be more intelligent. But if you want to go head to head on our military, govt, or religion I will bury you. Because I live it everyday since I was 18. I've found those who spend to much time in academia actually become less intelligent. Thank you for proving my point. And just in case I didn't say it before. Fuck you and go suck a dick.

20. hurricane

hurricane Member

Since your such a expert on treason I just called my Lieutenant Colonel buddy with Army intelligence. Yeah I have connections. A federal prosecutor can certainly bring about a charge of treason if they feel the case is air tight in his inability to handle classified material. Which it is. He would also possibly be charged with espionage. On this issue your out of your league with me. LMAO