How much protein do you guys eat?

I'm lean @ 200 lbs and get 50 grams of protein, 3 times a day (150 g/d total).

I tried slowly pushing it to 200; no big difference in body comp. When I got to 250 it was just GI discomfort and I think I started losing weight. Meat can be very satiating.

150 g protein/d + gear & resistance training + good sleep = anabolic enough for me.

Edit: total kcals variable. For context, I also follow a low(ish) carb diet but higher carb is undoubtably more productive for gains.

I mean if you’re consuming 100 grams of protein over maintenance of .8-1g/kg why isn’t everyone adding 60lbs+ of muscle per year? My main point is no one needs to use protein supps. Eat a steak.

420-475g. Sometimes over 520g. It’s pure suffering though. I sometimes run into digestion problems past 350g, and it can ruin my whole day if I can’t eat.

Last edited:
why would anyone want energy restriction?
I want as much energy as possible and protein is a piss poor source for it. Most of you take too much protein and spend way too much time on the internet. Eat mostly carbs (60+%) and add some eggs, a salmon filet and a ny strip every day for protein/fats and call it a day. No need to consume processed powders regularly. Should only be used sparingly for travel etc. you can consume all the protein ya want but it’s not beneficial

why would anyone want energy restriction?
I want as much energy as possible and protein is a piss poor source for it. Most of you take too much protein and spend way too much time on the internet. Eat mostly carbs (60+%) and add some eggs, a salmon filet and a ny strip every day for protein/fats and call it a day. No need to consume processed powders regularly. Should only be used sparingly for travel etc. you can consume all the protein ya want but it’s not beneficial
yeah right, all the guys that train like pussies say protein is overrated ... train balls to the wall 6 days a week at your current protein intake an see if you recover ...now increase your intake to at least 1g/lbs and see the
difference ...
the way to get around the extra calories from protein is to not eat fat like a moron because u don't need it and replace it with carbs!

Don't count in the off season, only count macros on a cut. Cutting now, started at 265lbs, 250lbs now going down to 225-230lbs. Eating 250g a day.

When natural I did about .7 grams x my bodyweight with success ..

When blasting gear 1 pound per body weight. Unless I'm cruising on 200 mg per week then it's back at .7 x be and still maintain my muscle and strength

yeah right, all the guys that train like pussies say protein is overrated ... train balls to the wall 6 days a week at your current protein intake an see if you recover ...now increase your intake to at least 1g/lbs and see the
difference ...
the way to get around the extra calories from protein is to not eat fat like a moron because u don't need it and replace it with carbs!
As someone who actually played a professional sport for over 20 years I’ve never eaten a lot of protein so, but for you wannabes it works huh?

And as far as studies..man there are studies for everything. I go by hands on experience .

There's a study saying your body can use 100 grams of whey protein in 1 go for muscle protein synthesis.

There's another study that shows it's best to spread the protein out throughout the day and you can't use all 100g whey in 1 sitting fr mps.

I go with what works for me .. I dont lose no strngth on .7 g per bw per day maintaining on a cruise.

And I gain fine on 1 g per bw.

whoooaa we've got a professional sports player here.... so you didn't eat allot of protein let me guess ...no 20" arms at 10% BF right ??
unless that profesional sport was bodybuilding you have zero additional knowledge on the matter of protein intake as most prof. athletes eat like shit and rely on genetics and talent for most of the time.

I only count my protein from animal sources. But i know there are other sources. So when dieting i up my protein to make up for the amino acids i am no longer taking in from my carbs which i eat less of when dieting.

whoooaa we've got a professional sports player here.... so you didn't eat allot of protein let me guess ...no 20" arms at 10% BF right ??
unless that profesional sport was bodybuilding you have zero additional knowledge on the matter of protein intake as most prof. athletes eat like shit and rely on genetics and talent for most of the time.
You clearly know nothing and BB isn’t a sport, sport.

As someone who actually played a professional sport for over 20 years I’ve never eaten a lot of protein so, but for you wannabes it works huh?
making a stupid comment or claim that you cannot or will not verify makes you look cringe as fuck.

i mean, even more cringe that is.

Even if you are telling the truth and you were a professional badminton player, that experience is 100% irrelevant to the discussion or the topic of bodybuilding.
There is no other sport in the world that places hypertrophy as its primary goal and focus.

making a stupid comment or claim that you cannot or will not verify makes you look cringe as fuck.

i mean, even more cringe that is.

Even if you are telling the truth and you were a professional badminton player, that experience is 100% irrelevant to the discussion or the topic of bodybuilding.
There is no other sport in the world that places hypertrophy as its primary goal and focus.
He said athletes ate like shit so, I responded to that. Bodybuilding is nothing but pageantry my friend. Enjoy.

Also, why would being Nolan Ryan a bad thing?. Probably the last real pitcher to play that could throw more than 75 pitches every 20 days.
He was also one of the first guys in the actual sport of baseball to lift weights. No respect. Now Go eat your 500 grams of protein ….

Also, why would being Nolan Ryan a bad thing?. Probably the last real pitcher to play that could throw more than 75 pitches every 20 days.
He was also one of the first guys in the actual sport of baseball to lift weights. No respect. Now Go eat your 500 grams of protein ….
If baseball is your sport, then your protein intake need not be so high.

Most of the guys responding to you are into bodybuilding, either active competitors, like BigTomJ above you, or aspiring, or at least wanting to look like one.

Back when I was competing, I shot for 300-350.

I still try to stay in the range of 200-250 now that I am no longer competing.

If I were playing baseball at a professional level, I am not sure I would bother counting protein sources and adding up grams throughout the day. And I would be rich and have all the babes.

He said athletes ate like shit so, I responded to that. Bodybuilding is nothing but pageantry my friend. Enjoy.
Not in the post you were replying to where you needed to share to a bunch of strangers how cool you used to be.

It is not a subject of debate. Protein is vastly more important in this space (strength and physique sports and hypertrophy focused goals) than any professional sport. This is largely a bodybuilding/lifting forum, with a subject largely relevant to that area, so discussion is implied that context.

Being a professional "athlete" does not have anywhere near the nutritional demands that this subject matter does, and as such is irrelevant.

You bring up some claim about yourself, that you certainly wouldn't be willing to validate, to give credibility to your stance has the same energy as a middle school boy on the playground bragging how tough his dad is.

It's pathetic.

Sponsors

Back