• ATTENTION New Members: Please take a few moments to introduce yourself, show your commitment to harm reduction, and chat with the community in the "New Member Introduction" subforum. This will help unlock access to additional forum features and privileges.

Interval training, HIIT, or whatever its called (Bob Smith, Grizz, etc)

Freddy

In the past I've seen you guys talk about this. Educate a brother, will ya? I've tried checking out previous posts, but I think most of them got lost with the updated website.

If there are already existing threads I should check out, just gimme some hints and I'll do the search myself.

Thanks, god I know nothing about cardio.

Freddy my boy, why in god's name would you want to do cardio?! :confused: ;)
Dont you know that its evil, pure evil!

For intervals, I normally use a 1:1 or 2:3 ratio of sprint:rest. So 30 seconds sprint, 30 secs slow speed or 30 sprint and 45 sec slow. Depending on your conditioning, I would start with say 4-8 of the 2:3 intervals. Every other workout add 1 interval. Once you can do 10 intervals at that ratio, then switch to 1:1 and drop to about 6 intervals per workout.

I've seen it done many ways. Personally, I have 2 ways that I like to do it.

My favorite: Find a medium to large football stadium(mine has 6 sets of stairs. approx 30 large stairs and 60 small stairs in each set of stairs). Sprint up the first set and descend as quickly as possible. Jog to the second set and repeat until you make it up and down the last set. You can even do this several times, but you're a better man than me if you can.

sometimes I also like to follow that up with jogging the length of the stadium on the bleachers and then sprinting up and down one set of the stairs for about 5 sets of that.

The other way: Find a track or a long stretch of pavement or whatever and jog for thirty seconds and then sprint for 30 seconds. Do this for 5 minutes and build up. You'd be surprised at how far you end up going doing this.

Phreezer said:
I'd rather slam my dick in a door than do cardio!
Amen big Phreeze!! Id rather slam your dick in a door than do cardio, too. ;)

Personally, I dont like doing cardio outdoors. I prefer the non-impact of a stationary bike or elliptical machine, particularly after knee surgery.

Thanks for the advice, guys!

How many times a week do you do these workouts? I was thinking tues/thurs/sat..or is that not enough?

Bob Smith said:
Amen big Phreeze!! Id rather slam your dick in a door than do cardio, too. ;)

Personally, I dont like doing cardio outdoors. I prefer the non-impact of a stationary bike or elliptical machine, particularly after knee surgery.

Even though you guys gave sprinting and stair climbing examples, I assume this stuff can be done on a stationary bike, correct?

As I mentioned, I use the stationary bike or elliptical exclusively.

2-3 interval workouts per week should be plenty. You may have to adjust your low body volume when you incorporate intervals into your program, as they are anaerobic and can lead to overtraining.

Grizzly said:
How many times are you going to change your avatar today, Phreezer?

Just till I find one I like well enough to keep ;) I do think I'll be sticking with this one though.. Happy? :D

Bob Smith said:
As I mentioned, I use the stationary bike or elliptical exclusively.

2-3 interval workouts per week should be plenty. You may have to adjust your low body volume when you incorporate intervals into your program, as they are anaerobic and can lead to overtraining.

I remember hearing you guys talk about the effect this has on your metabolism...it speeds it up so that you burn more calories throughout the day, not just during the workout, correct?

I'm not too afraid of a little extra volume. I assume it can't be too different from a normal GPP style workout.

Freddy said:
I remember hearing you guys talk about the effect this has on your metabolism...it speeds it up so that you burn more calories throughout the day, not just during the workout, correct?

Correct. Its called EPOC or Excess Post-excercise Oxygen Consumption. Basically, anaerobic activities will lead to an increased metabolism throughout the day, whereas regular cardio drops off within about an hour of finishing your bored-to-death-with-numb-nuts cardio session.

I usually try and run a split like you suggested, Freddy. I haven't done any of that recently, though, since I hate running in the cold and the wind has been too rough at the top of the stadium. I almost got blown off!

Plus, I only really use it for conditioning purposes and I've come to the conclusion that plain wrestling/grappling/all out MMA training will better prepare you for a MMA fight than any amount of running will. Sport specificity.

Awesome, thanks for all the tips you three.

So whats the concensus, 2 times a week? Or 3? Or should I start with 2 and then add a 3rd when I get used to it?

I'm not afraid of rushing into it with 3.

Last summer I did the track thing a few times grizz. I would sprint 30 seconds and than jog 45-60 seconds. My very heavy friend that I put on a diet and workout lives in the boonies so I have him sprinting up the largest hill by his house than quickly walking down to the bottom and than repeat. Of course with this blizzard he hasn't been able to do this the last few weeks
Grizzly said:
I've seen it done many ways. Personally, I have 2 ways that I like to do it.

My favorite: Find a medium to large football stadium(mine has 6 sets of stairs. approx 30 large stairs and 60 small stairs in each set of stairs). Sprint up the first set and descend as quickly as possible. Jog to the second set and repeat until you make it up and down the last set. You can even do this several times, but you're a better man than me if you can.

sometimes I also like to follow that up with jogging the length of the stadium on the bleachers and then sprinting up and down one set of the stairs for about 5 sets of that.

The other way: Find a track or a long stretch of pavement or whatever and jog for thirty seconds and then sprint for 30 seconds. Do this for 5 minutes and build up. You'd be surprised at how far you end up going doing this.

find a track
first lap a warm up to initiate vasodilation
work laps jog the the curves and run the staight ways
add a cool down lap at the end to vasoconstrict blood vessels
start at a low end of work laps say 3-5 and add a work lap every 3days to a week

once a day is fine but try for 2 a days ; this will get you shredded fast
the sessions arnt that long either

this helped me get my bf to the 4-5 percent level
good luck

thick said:
Last summer I did the track thing a few times grizz. I would sprint 30 seconds and than jog 45-60 seconds. My very heavy friend that I put on a diet and workout lives in the boonies so I have him sprinting up the largest hill by his house than quickly walking down to the bottom and than repeat. Of course with this blizzard he hasn't been able to do this the last few weeks

Were you surprised at how far you ended up running? I read about this 4 or 5 years ago and decided to try it. I did a 30 sec/30 sec deal and by the end of 5 minutes I had gone about 2 miles. I was like, "how the hell did that happen? I'm a goddamn world class runner. 2 miles in 5 minutes, yeah!"

Grizzly said:
Were you surprised at how far you ended up running? I read about this 4 or 5 years ago and decided to try it. I did a 30 sec/30 sec deal and by the end of 5 minutes I had gone about 2 miles. I was like, "how the hell did that happen? I'm a goddamn world class runner. 2 miles in 5 minutes, yeah!"
Maybe you should change your name to Flash Gordon! :D

interval training

look up the tabata study on the internet (vo2 max increases from short high intensity intervals). also, run a search under HIIT or high intensity interval training.

I like to simply alternate 1 minute hard, 1 minute light--for 20 minutes total. That's the simple version. I use the eliptical glider.

Sponsors

Latest posts