Refillable injector pen

I'm wondering if a lower temperature for a longer time period can be used. More research is required.

I'm thinking the reason they've come this way is that they probably come off the production line packaged in boxes of 1000 or more at minimum. This then goes to the reseller who's left with the decision of how to repackage for resale. I wish I could confirm this.

I've been looking at some analytical labs in my area. I might take a few vials to them and have them swab and culture the interior when I'm back in country.
The lowest temperature I’ve seen dry heat was 300f and that was for 150 minutes. I truly don’t think those rubber stoppers can withstand that. In other news I threw all the little pouches into my autoclave. And to my surprise the indicators only slightly changed in color and some not at all. I mixed in some empty pouches with my personal indicators which all triggered fine. I’ll update with photos to show you what I mean when I’m home from work. But there’s a possibility they were sterilized at some point.

Reactions: TTK
I think I have the answer: UV sterilization. They have devices for toothbrushes and phones on Amazon for $20. Surely not as good as a fancy pants pressure-free autoclave, but we're pinning discount compounds from overseas strangers, it's all a cost-risk-benefit calculation. Assuming the vials come mostly clean as has been argued here, popping it into a toothbrush sanitizer before filling it seems reasonable.

Good call.

Also for anyone considering oils- make sure to test your dispense amount with some plain MCT first. I found 50 clicks on the Lilly knockoff put out about .4ml of oil; you'll never know if you are under-dosing without measuring externally.

I think I have the answer: UV sterilization. They have devices for toothbrushes and phones on Amazon for $20. Surely not as good as a fancy pants pressure-free autoclave, but we're pinning discount compounds from overseas strangers, it's all a cost-risk-benefit calculation. Assuming the vials come mostly clean as has been argued here, popping it into a toothbrush sanitizer before filling it seems reasonable.
Unfortunately these compact UV boxes don't sterilize. These are sanitizers, but I acknowledge you did mention "toothbrush sanitizer". I just want to make sure the difference is understood to others. My guess is that these cartridges are already sanitary enough that small UV sanitizers won't do much, but hey for $20, it certainly won't hurt and it would probably make sense to have one around anyway.

Reactions: TTK
Unfortunately these compact UV boxes don't sterilize. These are sanitizers, but I acknowledge you did mention "toothbrush sanitizer". I just want to make sure the difference is understood to others. My guess is that these cartridges are already sanitary enough that small UV sanitizers won't do much, but hey for $20, it certainly won't hurt and it would probably make sense to have one around anyway.
Correct, sterilizing by definition means to kill all microbial life. this doesn't do that, I should not have used that word. Thanks for pointing it out.

Here are the solutions I've seen presented:
1. Buy a specialized autoclave for who knows how much, which none of us are going to do.
2. put it in an instant pot and blow out the plunger piece.
3. put it in the oven and damage the plunger piece
4. do nothing and accept some unknown risk that it was not sterile from the factory, and contains harmful pathogens
5. UV sanitization, killing some of the critters on the inside of the cartridge (if there are any) but not all of them, without damaging the glass or the rubber. You're accepting a lower risk than #4, but greater than #1.

Imperfect, but the best of the above in my opinion.

Imperfect, but the best of the above in my opinion.
You're right. Of the solutions that have been tossed around, this is so far the most realistic for individuals to improve the . However, if someone bought the correct steam sterilizer and sterilized/sold these cartridges as a board source, I'd much prefer to pay a premium than to be unsure. I still have yet to use mine after I bought them last year and noticed the color patches didn't show they were sterilized.

You're right. Of the solutions that have been tossed around, this is so far the most realistic for individuals to improve the . However, if someone bought the correct steam sterilizer and sterilized/sold these cartridges as a board source, I'd much prefer to pay a premium than to be unsure. I still have yet to use mine after I bought them last year and noticed the color patches didn't show they were sterilized.
I’m wondering what you think a fair price would be for these? I have all the proper sterilization equipment and starting to get a few ideas of maybe just buying mass bulk sterilizing them and shipping them out domestically

I’m wondering what you think a fair price would be for these?
You should probably charge ~$2-3/cart. Right now these carts are about $1 on Ali, so I think $2 would be on the very low end to make the margin worth it to pursue. Having the equipment gives you a leg up.

Before you even do that, I'd try to get some manufacturer conformation that these are not sterilized, to make it a selling point for you, and to ensure you aren't duplicating those efforts.

I'm going to be testing how sterile these carts are, at least the ones from the batch that I have. I'll inject sterile water into a handful of them. Some will be refrigerated, some won't be, and I'll leave them in place for different periods of time - one day, three days, one week, etc. Then I'll put a few drops from each cartridge into individual agar dishes and see if anything grows. I have a flow hood, so I can prevent contamination when getting the samples into the agar.

Add home lab to the list of dream house features... this is exciting :p
There's never enough dedicated rooms, shops, garage bays, etc. that you can have. As soon as you get another, you start thinking about the next one. I need to come back down to earth with my expectations, which my wife would absolutely agree with.

Is an autoclave really that expensive? There is one on Amazon for 350-400 CAD. Is a dry one or steam the way to go? Yes I am Canadian.

Is an autoclave really that expensive? There is one on Amazon for 350-400 CAD. Is a dry one or steam the way to go? Yes I am Canadian.
Steam will work fine. Depends on the autoclave they have those super cheap ones that look like high end pressure cookers. That’s essentially what they are. It’ll work but who really wants to pay 400 cad for something that will sit on the shelf most of its life.

Steam will work fine. Depends on the autoclave they have those super cheap ones that look like high end pressure cookers. That’s essentially what they are. It’ll work but who really wants to pay 400 cad for something that will sit on the shelf most of its life.
True. Just wondering if those would be with it to actually sterilize. Would be nice to know if they were actually sterile to start with too.

Has anybody tried to remove the cartridge from an ozempic pen? Is it possible?

Can you get larger needles for these pens to get deeper into muscle?

Alright so the AliExpress supplier I used just got back to me and claimed that these were “high temperature disinfected” I asked if they were sterilized with steam and the response was the same. Remember running these vials at high temperature to achieve sterilization will most likely (I could be wrong) melt the rubber stoppers. I do not believe that these vials are sterile. Be careful guys!

You should probably charge ~$2-3/cart. Right now these carts are about $1 on Ali, so I think $2 would be on the very low end to make the margin worth it to pursue. Having the equipment gives you a leg up.

Before you even do that, I'd try to get some manufacturer conformation that these are not sterilized, to make it a selling point for you, and to ensure you aren't duplicating those efforts.

I'm going to be testing how sterile these carts are, at least the ones from the batch that I have. I'll inject sterile water into a handful of them. Some will be refrigerated, some won't be, and I'll leave them in place for different periods of time - one day, three days, one week, etc. Then I'll put a few drops from each cartridge into individual agar dishes and see if anything grows. I have a flow hood, so I can prevent contamination when getting the samples into the agar.
Alright so the AliExpress supplier I used just got back to me and claimed that these were “high temperature disinfected” I asked if they were sterilized with steam and the response was the same. Remember running these vials at high temperature to achieve sterilization will most likely (I could be wrong) melt the rubber stoppers. I do not believe that these vials are sterile. Be careful guys!
When my vials arrive I’ll take a stab at getting one disinfection hot in the oven and then see how it performs with water as a test. Will report back. It’s plausible the stopper is some compound that can withstand high heat for this exact reason. It’ll be a few weeks before they get here, so if someone has some in hand and wants to beat me to the punch, by all means do so.

I did. You didn’t read the thread?

I tried 170C for 30 but i should try 150C for 3 hours. Same effect but might spare the rubber…

Didn't mean to be curt. Anyway, I believe the low-temp approach is doable. 150C (305F) for 3 hours resulted in a stopper that fell out inside the packaging, but it was easily pushed back in before opening and appears to be holding water:

20230626_214456570_iOS.jpg

Sides include: not even central A/C can't keep up with running the oven for 3 hours straight :p

Back