Trump Timeline ... Trumpocalypse

A MASS SHOOTING at a Quebec City mosque last night left six people dead and eight wounded. The targeted mosque, the Cultural Islamic Center of Quebec, was the same one at which http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/pig-head-mosque-quebec-city-1.3642883 (a severed pig’s head was left) during Ramadan last June. Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau called the episode a “terrorist attack on Muslims.”

Almost immediately, various news outlets and political figures depicted the shooter as Muslim. Right-wing nationalist tabloids in the UK instantly linked it to Islamic violence. Fox News, for instance, claimed that “witnesses said at least one gunman shouted ‘Allahu akbar!’,” and then added this about the shooter’s national origin:

White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer exploited the attack to justify President Trump’s ban on immigrant from seven Muslim-majority countries, saying the attack proves why “proactive” measures such as Trump’s new immigration policy are necessary against terrorists. “It’s a terrible reminder of why we must remain vigilant and why the President is taking steps to be proactive rather than reactive when it comes to our nation’s safety and security,” https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C3cMwtUWMAAMNCs.jpg at this afternoon’s briefing when speaking of the Quebec City attack.

But these assertions are utterly false. The suspect is neither Moroccan nor Muslim. The Moroccan individual, Mohamed el Khadir, was actually one of the worshippers at the mosque and called 911 to summon the police, and played no role whatsoever in the shooting.

The actual shooting suspect is 27-year-old Alexandre Bissonnette, a white French Canadian who is, by all appearances, a rabid anti-immigrant nationalist. A leader of a local immigration rights groups, François Deschamps, http://www.lapresse.ca/le-soleil/justice-et-faits-divers/201701/30/01-5064449-attentat-a-quebec-la-sq-confirme-un-seul-suspect.php. he recognized his photo as an anti-immigrant far-right “troll” who has been hostile to the group online. And Bisonnette’s Facebook page – now taken down https://archive.is/u2Hex (but still archived) – lists among its “likes” the far right French nationalist Marine Le Pen, Islam critics Richard Dawkins and Christopher Hitchens, the Israeli Defense Forces, and Donald J. Trump (he also “likes” the liberal Canadian Party NDP along with more neutral “likes” such as Tom Hanks, the Sopranos and Katy Perry).

Nothing has been censored. If anything, it has been given greater visibility. You posted clearly off topic derailing the discussion about Trump and you accuse the mods of having an agenda. What is that? Keeping discussion about Trump front and center in this thread?

I suggest you start another thread if you wish to continue to voice your complaints. This will help keep this thread on topic.

You are wrong. This is done from time to time. Sorry, you are not the recipient of any special treatment.

It has been done from time to time but it's a rare occurrence and there appears to be no rhyme or reason behind it.

I don't believe Doc did it for nefarious purposes or because of bias. Doc is an unapologetic liberal and he's never tried to hide that, but I've never seen him suppress opposing viewpoints and don't believe he ever would. I do understand the reason it was done. But I can also understand the reason it could be done in countless other threads. It never is, though - or least rarely enough that the vast majority of active Meso members have never seen it happen before.

For example, members have decided for themselves that member's logs are not the place for trolling or the airing of personal grievances. But Sworder is permitted to troll member's personal logs with insults and invective and I've never seen any of those OT trolling posts moved or deleted, or Sworder even admonished by the mods (Gag. Choke. Cough. Sorry, threw up a little just saying mod) for derailing logs. In fact, I recall his trolling of personal logs got so bad that two members were forced to contact you about deleting their accounts or changing their names in order to escape his constant harassment, but his posts still remained.

Now, in no way should my comments be taken a call for censorship. Just the opposite: I support Sworder's right to post anywhere he pleases, including personal logs, without interference from nannies. The members have done a pretty good job policing themselves, anyway. But if any posts are going to be deleted, removed or moved, it seems to me that Sworder's should be at the top of the list.

Meso's history of giving the widest possible latitude to trolls like Sworder has led members to believe that if they post in a particular thread, their posts will remain in the thread in which they placed them. What's good for the goose is good for the gander, right? And that is where they intended them to be, after all.

But removing posts from a political thread - especially from a political thread, no matter how benevolent the intent may be, will always have the appearance of censorship. It just looks bad.

I guess the point of all this rambling is that I don't support the practice of removing posts, but if posts are subject to removal, some guidance from the admin is in order.

A MASS SHOOTING at a Quebec City mosque last night left six people dead and eight wounded. The targeted mosque, the Cultural Islamic Center of Quebec, was the same one at which http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/pig-head-mosque-quebec-city-1.3642883 (a severed pig’s head was left) during Ramadan last June. Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau called the episode a “terrorist attack on Muslims.”

Almost immediately, various news outlets and political figures depicted the shooter as Muslim. Right-wing nationalist tabloids in the UK instantly linked it to Islamic violence. Fox News, for instance, claimed that “witnesses said at least one gunman shouted ‘Allahu akbar!’,” and then added this about the shooter’s national origin:

White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer exploited the attack to justify President Trump’s ban on immigrant from seven Muslim-majority countries, saying the attack proves why “proactive” measures such as Trump’s new immigration policy are necessary against terrorists. “It’s a terrible reminder of why we must remain vigilant and why the President is taking steps to be proactive rather than reactive when it comes to our nation’s safety and security,” https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C3cMwtUWMAAMNCs.jpg at this afternoon’s briefing when speaking of the Quebec City attack.

But these assertions are utterly false. The suspect is neither Moroccan nor Muslim. The Moroccan individual, Mohamed el Khadir, was actually one of the worshippers at the mosque and called 911 to summon the police, and played no role whatsoever in the shooting.

The actual shooting suspect is 27-year-old Alexandre Bissonnette, a white French Canadian who is, by all appearances, a rabid anti-immigrant nationalist. A leader of a local immigration rights groups, François Deschamps, http://www.lapresse.ca/le-soleil/justice-et-faits-divers/201701/30/01-5064449-attentat-a-quebec-la-sq-confirme-un-seul-suspect.php. he recognized his photo as an anti-immigrant far-right “troll” who has been hostile to the group online. And Bisonnette’s Facebook page – now taken down https://archive.is/u2Hex (but still archived) – lists among its “likes” the far right French nationalist Marine Le Pen, Islam critics Richard Dawkins and Christopher Hitchens, the Israeli Defense Forces, and Donald J. Trump (he also “likes” the liberal Canadian Party NDP along with more neutral “likes” such as Tom Hanks, the Sopranos and Katy Perry).

This is something I thought about the minute Trump proposed the wall. Yes many criminals and radicals can enter the US via Mexico. But I hate to say the Canada/US border proposes the same if not a possible bigger threat imo. o_O

This is something I thought about the minute Trump proposed the wall. Yes many criminals and radicals can enter the US via Mexico. But I hate to say the Canada/US border proposes the same if not a possible bigger threat imo. o_O

Right. It's time to stop Canadians from entering the United States, @POTUS. At least for a few months, until you figure out what's going on.

Trump’s hard-line actions have an intellectual godfather: Jeff Sessions.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trumps-hard-line-actions-have-an-intellectual-godfather-jeff-sessions/2017/01/30/ac393f66-e4d4-11e6-ba11-63c4b4fb5a63_story.html?utm_term=.b8f6a7f05a0c (Trump’s hard-line actions have an intellectual godfather: Jeff Sessions)

In jagged black strokes, President Trump’s signature was scribbled onto a catalogue of executive orders over the past 10 days that translated the hard-line promises of his campaign into the policies of his government.

The directives bore Trump’s name, but another man’s fingerprints were also on nearly all of them: Jeff Sessions.

From immigration and health care to national security and trade, Sessions is the intellectual godfather of the president’s policies. Sessions’s reach extends throughout the White House, with his aides and allies accelerating the president’s most dramatic moves, including the ban on refugees and migrants from seven mostly Muslim nations that has triggered fear around the globe.

The author of many of Trump’s executive orders is senior policy adviser Stephen Miller, a Sessions confidant who was mentored by him and who spent the weekend overseeing the government’s implementation of the refugee ban. The tactician turning Trump’s agenda into law is deputy chief of staff Rick Dearborn, Sessions’s longtime chief of staff in the Senate. The mastermind behind Trump’s incendiary brand of populism is chief strategist Stephen K. Bannon, who promoted Sessions for years as chairman of the Breitbart website.

Then there is Jared Kushner, the president’s son-in-law and senior adviser, who considers Sessions a savant and forged a bond with the senator while orchestrating Trump’s trip last summer to Mexico City and during the darkest days of the campaign.

In a lengthy email, Bannon described Sessions as “the clearinghouse for policy and philosophy” in Trump’s administration, saying he and the senator are joined at the center of Trump’s “pro-America movement” and the global nationalist phenomenon.

“In America and Europe, working people are reasserting their right to control their own destinies,” Bannon wrote. “Jeff Sessions has been at the forefront of this movement for years, developing populist nation-state policies that are supported by the vast and overwhelming majority of Americans, but are poorly understood by cosmopolitan elites in the media that live in a handful of our larger cities.”

[Long read ...]

The Believer - How Stephen Miller went from obscure Capitol Hill staffer to Donald Trump’s warm-up act—and resident ideologue.
How an obscure Senate aide became Trump’s intellectual architect

Miller is 30 years old, and in some ways a quintessential member of the Trump 2016 menagerie: an obscure character suddenly elevated to a national role by dint of hard work, loyalty and the boss’s favor.

He’s often overshadowed by the campaign’s more flamboyant figures, even as he’s begun appearing on CNN and Fox to defend Trump and explain his policies in strikingly complete and adamant sentences.

But among this roster of political outsiders, Miller stands out, especially for people who understand the new forces afoot in Republican politics.

He's deeply connected to some of the most powerful insurgent threads in the Washington GOP, most notably Alabama Senator Jeff Sessions and the Breitbart media machine.

As an aide on Capitol Hill, he was a behind-the-scenes architect of the successful effort to kill comprehensive immigration reform in 2014.

And while it’s hard to gauge how much Trump is amenable to influence by anyone—at least, by anyone that he didn’t beget—there is no question that Miller is deep, and serious, on the one question that most drives Trump's unlikely campaign.

BREAKING NEWS: Full Text of Draft Dissent Channel Memo on Trump Refugee and Visa Order.
BREAKING NEWS: Full Text of Draft Dissent Channel Memo on Trump Refugee and Visa Order

Consider this a major bureaucratic uprising on the part of career foreign service officers against the President on his executive order on refugees.

Numerous Foreign Service officers and other diplomats have drafted a dissent memo expressing opposition to President Donald Trump’s executive order banning refugees and immigrants from Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, and Yemen from entering the United States. ABC reported this morning on the draft, which is likely to be submitted today.

Here’s a copy of the actual draft [link].

We are hearing that literally hundreds of foreign service officers are planning to be party to the dissent memo; it’s still unclear exactly how many.

We have redacted all names and personally identifiable information from this document.

The State Department’s Dissent Channel is a mechanism for employees to confidentially express policy disagreement, created in 1971 as a response to concerns within the Department over the government’s handling of the Vietnam War.

Authors of a memo submitted through the Channel, which is open to all regular employees of the State Department and USAID, may not be subject to any penalty or disciplinary action in response. Once a memo is submitted, the Secretary of State’s Policy Planning Staff must acknowledge its receipt within two working days and will usually distribute it to the Secretary of State, the Deputy Secretary of State, the Under Secretary for Political Affairs, the Chairperson of the Open Forum, and, if the memo’s author is employed by USAID, by the head of that agency as well.

Taking into account the wishes of the author, the memo may also be distributed more broadly within the State Department and may be done so anonymously.

The ultimate significance of the channel is that memos must receive a substantive response within 30-60 working days.

Donald_Trump-2.jpg

Donald Trump’s first act as president was a visit to CIA headquarters in Langley, Virginia, where he addressed gathering of CIA employees. His journey directly in “the swamp” took place almost immediately after his inauguration, and was clearly an urgent first priority.

Serenading Langley

The CIA is a headquarters of the Deep State and the Shadow Government. It is the nexus of criminality, and of the Bushes and Clintons (Don't forget Reagan "Italics mine"), and the world-managing elite. The CIA enjoys a virtually unlimited black budget and virtually unlimited power that is beyond the reach of law, and beyond the control of the White House.

Yet here was Trump ingratiating and sweet talking the agency that, under order of John Brennan (on behalf of Hillary Clinton and the Bushes), actively engaged in unprecedented efforts to destroy him.

Trump swooned, in sickly sweet fawning fashion:

“Nobody feels stronger about the CIA and the intelligence community than Donald Trump. Nobody.I am so behind you. You’re going to get so much backing, you’re going to ask ‘Please Mr. President, don’t give us so much backing’. We’re gonna do great things. We have not used the real abilities we have, we’ve been restrained. We have to get rid of ISIS. Radical Islamic terrorism has to be eradicated off the face of the earth. It is evil. This is a level of evil that we haven’t seen. You’re going to do a phenomenal job, but you’re going to end it. This is going to be one of the most important groups towards making us safe, toward making us winners again, toward ending all of the problems, the havoc and fear that this sick group of people has caused. I am with you a thousand percent! I love you, I respect you, and you will be leading the charge.”

Is Trump naïve, uninformed, or playing some Orwellian game?

Larry Chin

The Dark History of the White House Aides Who Crafted Trump's "Muslim Ban"
The dark history of the White House aides who crafted Trump's "Muslim ban"

Here's how Stephen Bannon and Stephen Miller have been boosters of Islamophobes and white nationalists.

The Trump administration has insisted since Sunday that the president's executive order banning travel to the United States from seven predominately Islamic countries "is not a Muslim ban."

But as Mother Jones first reported in a series of investigations starting last summer, the two top Trump advisers who reportedly crafted the immigration crackdown—Stephen Bannon and Stephen Miller—have a long history of promoting Islamophobia, courting anti-Muslim extremists, and boosting white nationalists.

Google Co-Founder and Alphabet President Sergey Brin:

Google co-founder Sergey Brin joins protest against immigration order at San Francisco airport

Sergey Brin, Google co-founder and president of Alphabet, joined protesters at San Francisco International Airport tonight as demonstrators assembled at airports across the country in opposition to President Trump’s immigration order.

Brin’s family emigrated from the Soviet Union to the United States in 1979 to escape Jewish persecution. Google’s CEO, Sundar Pichai, is also an immigrant. “We’re upset about the impact of this order,” Pichai wrote in an company-wide email today. “We’ve always made our views on immigration issues known publicly and will continue to do so.”

WASHINGTON — Acting Attorney General Sally Q. Yates, a holdover from the Obama administration, ordered the Justice Department on Monday not to defend President Trump’s executive order on immigration in court.

“I am responsible for ensuring that the positions we take in court remain consistent with this institution’s solemn obligation to always seek justice and stand for what is right,” Ms. Yates wrote in a letter to Justice Department lawyers. “At present, I am not convinced that the defense of the executive order is consistent with these responsibilities nor am I convinced that the executive order is lawful.”

The decision is largely symbolic — Mr. Trump’s nominee to be attorney general, Jeff Sessions, is likely to be confirmed soon — but it highlights the deep divide at the Justice Department and elsewhere in the government over Mr. Trump’s order.

Mr. Trump has the authority to fire Ms. Yates but, as the top Senate-confirmed official at the Justice Department, she is the only one authorized to sign foreign surveillance warrants, an essential function at the department.

“For as long as I am the Acting Attorney General, the Department of Justice will not present arguments in defense of the Executive Order, unless and until I become convinced that it is appropriate to do so,” she wrote.

Last edited:

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — SAN FRANCISCO — A man who President Donald Trump has promoted as an authority on voter fraud was registered to vote in multiple states during the 2016 presidential election, the Associated Press has learned.

Gregg Phillips, whose unsubstantiated claim that the election was marred by 3 million illegal votes was tweeted by the president, was listed on the rolls in Alabama, Texas and Mississippi, according to voting records and election officials in those states. He voted only in Alabama in November, records show.

Sponsors