• ATTENTION New Members: Please take a few moments to introduce yourself, show your commitment to harm reduction, and chat with the community in the "New Member Introduction" subforum. This will help unlock access to additional forum features and privileges.

War On Drugs

In the past several years, the national movement to end drug prohibition has accelerated. Nine states and Washington, DC, have legalized recreational marijuana, with at least three more states (Connecticut, Michigan, and Ohio) likely to vote on legalization by the end of 2018. Dozens of others have decriminalized the substance or permitted it for medicinal use. Moreover, amid the nation’s ongoing opioid crisis, some advocates and politicians are calling to decriminalize drugs more broadly and rethink our approach to drug enforcement.

Drug legalization affects various social outcomes. In the debate over marijuana legalization, academics and the media tend to focus on how legalization affects public health and criminal justice outcomes. But policymakers and scholars should also consider the fiscal effects of drug liberalization. Legalization can reduce government spending, which saves resources for other uses, and it generates tax revenue that transfers income from drug producers and consumers to public coffers.

Drawing on the most recent available data, this bulletin estimates the fiscal windfall that would be achieved through drug legalization. All told, drug legalization could generate up to $106.7 billion in annual budgetary gains for federal, state, and local governments. Those gains would come from two primary sources: decreases in drug enforcement spending and increases in tax revenue. This bulletin estimates that state and local governments spend $29 billion on drug prohibition annually, while the federal government spends an additional $18 billion. Meanwhile, full drug legalization would yield $19 billion in state and local tax revenue and $39 billion in federal tax revenue.

In addition, this bulletin briefly examines the budgetary effects of state marijuana legalizations that have already taken place in Colorado, Oregon, and Washington. This study finds that, so far, legalization in those states has generated more tax revenue than previously forecast but generated essentially no reductions in criminal justice expenditure. The bulletin offers possible explanations for those findings.

In Baltimore, a young black man is sent to prison for felony cannabis possession. In Glasgow, Scotland, an apartment door is kicked in by the drugs squad. In Afghanistan, a field of poppies is incinerated from the air. In Mexico, police corrupted by drug cartels are implicated in disappearances and massacres.

The War on Drugs is generally presented as a global phenomenon. Each country has its own drug laws and enforces them as they see fit. Despite small regional differences, the world—we are told—has always been united in addressing the dangers of illicit drug use through law enforcement.

This is a lie.

i don't think drug users should be arrested but made to go to rehab out of their pocket.
i don't think street level dealers should be put in prison but instead forced to do community service
i do think large drug king pins, large traffickers and suppliers should be put in prison for life w/out parole. this alone will reduce prison population by 70%.
they need to find the line of whats considered trafficking..... like anyone caught with (1) KG or more means they are big time.

Why The War On Drugs In Sport Will Never Be Won
In this episode I discuss the commentary entitled "Why The War On Drugs In Sport Will Never Be Won" by Smith and Stewart published in the journal of Harm Reduction in 2015. Why the war on drugs in sport will never be won

The idea is that the Zero Tolerance model of Anti-Doping that we currently have is failing and maybe as a society we should consider adopting a Harm Reduction model where athletes are given drugs by their physicians and their health is monitored. I go over their 6 point Harm Reduction model and then discuss the positives and negatives of this concept.

[OA] Changing Dynamics of The Drug Overdose Epidemic in The United States From 1979 Through 2016

There is a developing drug epidemic in the United States. Jalal et al. analyzed nearly 600,000 unintentional drug overdoses over a 38-year period. Although the overall mortality rate closely followed an exponential growth curve, the pattern itself is a composite of several underlying subepidemics of different drugs. Geographic hotspots have developed over time, as well as drug-specific demographic differences.

Better understanding of the dynamics of the current U.S. overdose epidemic may aid in the development of more effective prevention and control strategies. We analyzed records of 599,255 deaths from 1979 through 2016 from the National Vital Statistics System in which accidental drug poisoning was identified as the main cause of death.

By examining all available data on accidental poisoning deaths back to 1979 and showing that the overall 38-year curve is exponential, we provide evidence that the current wave of opioid overdose deaths (due to prescription opioids, heroin, and fentanyl) may just be the latest manifestation of a more fundamental longer-term process.

The 38+ year smooth exponential curve of total U.S. annual accidental drug poisoning deaths is a composite of multiple distinctive subepidemics of different drugs (primarily prescription opioids, heroin, methadone, synthetic opioids, cocaine, and methamphetamine), each with its own specific demographic and geographic characteristics.

Jalal H, Buchanich JM, Roberts MS, Balmert LC, Zhang K, Burke DS. Changing dynamics of the drug overdose epidemic in the United States from 1979 through 2016. Science 2018;361. Changing dynamics of the drug overdose epidemic in the United States from 1979 through 2016

In sum, the War on Drugs is one of the greatest policy failures of the last century. It's a disgrace on all levels: pragmatics, moral, ethical, and humanitarian. The epidemic only worsens:

F2.large.jpg

Only thing I am thankful the war on drugs for would be AL-LAD even if we may have discovered it anyway

One of the new-ish Ontario government’s more surprising decisions thus far has been its coming around to tolerating safe-injection sites for opioid users. The chances didn’t look so hot when it launched a review of the evidence, which is overwhelmingly supportive of the harm reduction approach. And when health minister Christine Elliott candidly admitted that “whatever I think is really not the point,” the prospects seemed dire indeed. The point is what Premier Doug Ford thinks, and he has always described himself as “dead against” the idea.

But last month, Elliott said the review had found what supporters said it would: Inasmuch as safe injection sites prevent fatal overdoses on their premises with roughly 100 per cent efficiency amidst a horrifying nationwide epidemic of overdose deaths, they work really, really well.

You might wish they would do more than that. Some still indulge the fantasy distinction between “letting them shoot up” and “sending them to treatment.” But preventing people from dying is pretty damn impressive all by itself. “The evidence clearly demonstrated that these sites were necessary,” Elliott said at a news conference.

Only thing I am thankful the war on drugs for would be AL-LAD even if we may have discovered it anyway

for me it would be, 2,5-Dimethoxy-4-chloroamphetamine - Wikipedia.
DOC blew me the fuck away. I have an account on drugs-forum and I almost wrote a "review", and I had some questions. like, is this normal, or did I take too much :eek:. drug wise it ranks up there as one of my most intense experiences. 2 hour onset, 4 hour "peak", an easy 24 hours overall. and I had always read about a drug called DOM, aka STP, space tranquility and peace. DOC gave me none of that.
but I still wouldn't call it one of my more profound. I still give that to certain sheet of lsd, back in the day.

so in a way, thanks to the drug war o_O. but overall, fuck the war on drugs. because there are more important things going, and these would be available and people could discern which is best and which is not. like "prohormones".

for me it would be, 2,5-Dimethoxy-4-chloroamphetamine - Wikipedia.
DOC blew me the fuck away. I have an account on drugs-forum and I almost wrote a "review", and I had some questions. like, is this normal, or did I take too much :eek:. drug wise it ranks up there as one of my most intense experiences. 2 hour onset, 4 hour "peak", an easy 24 hours overall. and I had always read about a drug called DOM, aka STP, space tranquility and peace. DOC gave me none of that.
but I still wouldn't call it one of my more profound. I still give that to certain sheet of lsd, back in the day.

so in a way, thanks to the drug war o_O. but overall, fuck the war on drugs. because there are more important things going, and these would be available and people could discern which is best and which is not. like "prohormones".
I think DOC would be in another group in regard to what I meant. AL-LAD was an analogue to acid made especially to bypass the illegal criteria and was actually legally available in the UK and other countries for a while. I think DOC was just invented much longer ago but may have to check again. Another one akin to what I meant would be the NBOMe.

I think DOC would be in another group in regard to what I meant. AL-LAD was an analogue to acid made especially to bypass the illegal criteria and was actually legally available in the UK and other countries for a while. I think DOC was just invented much longer ago but may have to check again. Another one akin to what I meant would be the NBOMe.

it possible. I'm not an expert on everything psychedelic. "designer" drugs do exist.
25I-NBOMe - Wikipedia doesn't seem to be one of them though.