Daily Log to 2019 Show Season

Wow watching your program you do only 9 sets for quads a week...

2 sets hack squat

2 sets leg Press

5 sets leg extension

Can you bulk with this volume?

Wow watching your program you do only 9 sets for quads a week...

2 sets hack squat

2 sets leg Press

5 sets leg extension

Can you bulk with this volume?
Unequivocally, yes. Look at him!

Mac probably has big ass motor units & type II fibers, and more of them (quads on average are roughly 1:1 fast:slow twitch, he's probably more like 4:1), these are those that have growth potential. Muscles respond with growth to mechanical tension (load * effective reps & 36 - 72 h rest) and simply do not require 25 sets/week/body part because there's an inverse relationship between volume & load (high volume low load; low load high volume).

Clearly, Mac is well served by hard, (moderately) heavy training at moderate volumes and ignoring the "data-driven" bodybuilding "researchers," because that shit only applies to novices using light loads, which you should not spend very long doing if you intend to max out your frame and, if you have the talent, go pro some day.

Unequivocally, yes. Look at him!

Mac probably has big ass motor units & type II fibers, and more of them (quads on average are roughly 1:1 fast:slow twitch, he's probably more like 4:1), these are those that have growth potential. Muscles respond with growth to mechanical tension (load * effective reps & 36 - 72 h rest) and simply do not require 25 sets/week/body part because there's an inverse relationship between volume & load (high volume low load; low load high volume).

Clearly, Mac is well served by hard, (moderately) heavy training at moderate volumes and ignoring the "data-driven" bodybuilding "researchers," because that shit only applies to novices using light loads, which you should not spend very long doing if you intend to max out your frame and, if you have the talent, go pro some day.
I'll add to this by saying a couple things:
1. yes I CAN grow on this, that does not mean that you or anyone else specifically can but I have trained several guys putting on 20-40lbs in the span of 1-2 years with this training style

2. As you become more experienced I believe you need LESS volume, not more. For two reasons. As you get stronger and loads climb the amount of recovery possible, muscle and CNS, changes. If I need 24 plates on a leg press to fail in the 10-15 rep range and someone that's 160lbs needs 10, who do you think can do more volume and recover? Secondly, training to failure is a SKILL. You learn where failure is. This is why I very much dislike RPE/RIR training fro bodybuilding. It takes an extreme level of experience to estimate those accurately.

3. I have not always trained this way. This isn't the only way to grow. But as stated in a previous post it is the most consistent, least guess work method of ensuring progress. If you add weight or add reps with the same execution there are only two real factors; muscle and CNS adaptation. CNS doesn't scale quickly like muscle tissue can. So if the reps and weights go up, barring the quick changes in a new exercise pattern burn in or being untrained, then numbers almost literally mean muscle.

4. My quads are doing pretty well comparatively to things I believe are weaker on my physique. I also know I could hammer them and they'd grow quickly because they've always been ahead. So my weekly volume per muscle group is based on my growth needs and ease of growing that muscle. Weak arms = more weekly volume. Big legs = less.

I'll add to this by saying a couple things:
1. yes I CAN grow on this, that does not mean that you or anyone else specifically can but I have trained several guys putting on 20-40lbs in the span of 1-2 years with this training style

2. As you become more experienced I believe you need LESS volume, not more. For two reasons. As you get stronger and loads climb the amount of recovery possible, muscle and CNS, changes. If I need 24 plates on a leg press to fail in the 10-15 rep range and someone that's 160lbs needs 10, who do you think can do more volume and recover? Secondly, training to failure is a SKILL. You learn where failure is. This is why I very much dislike RPE/RIR training fro bodybuilding. It takes an extreme level of experience to estimate those accurately.

3. I have not always trained this way. This isn't the only way to grow. But as stated in a previous post it is the most consistent, least guess work method of ensuring progress. If you add weight or add reps with the same execution there are only two real factors; muscle and CNS adaptation. CNS doesn't scale quickly like muscle tissue can. So if the reps and weights go up, barring the quick changes in a new exercise pattern burn in or being untrained, then numbers almost literally mean muscle.

4. My quads are doing pretty well comparatively to things I believe are weaker on my physique. I also know I could hammer them and they'd grow quickly because they've always been ahead. So my weekly volume per muscle group is based on my growth needs and ease of growing that muscle. Weak arms = more weekly volume. Big legs = less.
Perfect post that shows a deep understanding and hard-won practical experience.

Decided to make a change and am beginning work with a new coach for an offseason for the first time. We start next week and will complete the time on this blast (10-12 weeks) looking to make ~230+ fasted weight at good body comp. Changes to x and o execution are minimal, he uses many of the same principles as I do. More for accountability and drive.

Pro debut planned for early summer 2024. Current front double for attention.
IMG_6889.jpeg

Decided to make a change and am beginning work with a new coach for an offseason for the first time. We start next week and will complete the time on this blast (10-12 weeks) looking to make ~230+ fasted weight at good body comp. Changes to x and o execution are minimal, he uses many of the same principles as I do. More for accountability and drive.

View attachment 263549
Sweet dude! Glad I found you on here. Can’t wait to see where you go from here. Who’s the coach? If you don’t wanna say publicly, just let me know and I’ll DM you on IG

View attachment 263549
Hello,

first of all you are looking very good and big wish you the best for prep!
I would like to ask if you could tell me your macros on training/non training days and refeeds and how often do you do them if this is 10-12 weeks out. Also how much cardio do you actually do?

Thanks!

Hello,

first of all you are looking very good and big wish you the best for prep!
I would like to ask if you could tell me your macros on training/non training days and refeeds and how often do you do them if this is 10-12 weeks out. Also how much cardio do you actually do?

Thanks!
This is 10-12 weeks left to offseason. My macros and refeeds during prep are based in where I end off-season and my coaches approach.

As a quick reference I end my last prep at ~400p/300c/70f if I remember correctly.

CBE729C8-555B-4B5D-BB6D-00EFC96D2121.jpeg

Weight was climbing nicely until GH ran out from my son breaking some vials in the fridge. Back on track though. Expect to be 224/225 end of week.

Finally back on track with leg training. Switching arms to a more volume approach to avoid heavy loads to try and fix up my elbows aching.

8-10 weeks to go hopefully to make 230+

mac i just want to say i have been reading this and thank you for sharing all this informantion with us . i think everyone in bodybuidling would like to see what it actually takes to be a pro and someone who is honest about it seems like you are i dont know you but i dont think you have a reason not to be. You have a great physique, hams and tris, isnt it funny how musle imbalances work? youre hams and tris need work imo and they the opposite muscle for that bodypart like your ham curls the leg and tri extends the arm. ive noticed muscle imbalances work this way its strange just thought id mention that. but dude high reps for hams and tris worked very well for me with moderate weight, i feel like those are you two biggest weaknesses when i look at you my eyes go right to youre hams in the side shots and back shots front sweep is petty good but will only imporve with ham size. Just thought id tell you im sure you are well aware of this ha. edit: im just nit picking here guys, hes pretty complete, just a couple areas thats what i noticed and wanted to mention, whenever my eyes go to a certain area right away idk just think mac would want to tknow that

Last edited:
haha i meant from the front. im just saying so you can bring up the areas. look at the tricep thickness from behind.it could be the angle or the photo but i think youd be more complete if you added to your tris. again just my opinion

Looking thick, solid, tight as always.

Are you able to name drop the new coach? I’m exploring the market myself tentatively and would love to get your input. Maybe PM if that works better?

Thanks Mac!

Back