Daily Log to 2019 Show Season

With the way you train with 2 sets to failure and maybe a total of 16 sets are these including any warmup sets or you typically do 1 warmup per excercise?

With the way you train with 2 sets to failure and maybe a total of 16 sets are these including any warmup sets or you typically do 1 warmup per excercise?
Warmups are always as needed. Generally the first movement gets 3-4 warmups and the number of them decreases as I go thru th workout. Sometimes I’m in a groove early and cut sets I don’t need.

Most importantly, my warmups are designed to not take away from work capacity. As warmups get heavier, number of reps reduces significantly.

Warmups are always as needed. Generally the first movement gets 3-4 warmups and the number of them decreases as I go thru th workout. Sometimes I’m in a groove early and cut sets I don’t need.

Most importantly, my warmups are designed to not take away from work capacity. As warmups get heavier, number of reps reduces significantly.
Could you give me an example of what you mean? Like for example if you were doing rows you would do 3-4 sets of light weight and then do your 2 working set?

Could you give me an example of what you mean? Like for example if you were doing rows you would do 3-4 sets of light weight and then do your 2 working set?
Push day as an example:
1. Low incline (15deg) banded smith press
Warmup 1 - bar x 12-15
Warmup 2 - 135 x 8-10
Warmup 3 - 225 x 4-6
Warmup 3 - 315 x 2-3
Working 1 - 405
Working 2 - 365

2. Hammer Strength Flat Converging Press
Warmup 1 - 2 plates per side x 4-6 reps
Warmup 2 - 3.5 pps x 2-3 resp
Working 1 - 5pps
Working 2- 4pps

3. Lying Cuff Cable Lateral
Warmup 1 - 20 x 8-10
Warmup 2 - 30x 4-6
Working 1 - 42.5
Working 2 - 35

Push day as an example:
Warmup 1 - bar x 12-15
Warmup 2 - 135 x 8-10
Warmup 3 - 225 x 4-6
Warmup 3 - 315 x 2-3
Working 1 - 405
Working 2 - 365

Working 1 - 5pps
Working 2- 4pps

Warmup 1 - 20 x 8-10
Warmup 2 - 30x 4-6
Working 1 - 42.5
Working 2 - 35
in the first exercise if it's a heavy compound do you ever manage to do 1 or 2 reps with the target weight?

Example squat
Warmup 1 bar x 10
Warmup 2 1 plate X5
Warmup 3 2 plates X5
Warmup 4 3 plates X3-5
Warmup 5 4plates x 1-2
Working set 4 plates x max

Push day as an example:
Warmup 1 - bar x 12-15
Warmup 2 - 135 x 8-10
Warmup 3 - 225 x 4-6
Warmup 3 - 315 x 2-3
Working 1 - 405
Working 2 - 365

Working 1 - 5pps
Working 2- 4pps

Warmup 1 - 20 x 8-10
Warmup 2 - 30x 4-6
Working 1 - 42.5
Working 2 - 35
Are those working sets to failure?

in the first exercise if it's a heavy compound do you ever manage to do 1 or 2 reps with the target weight?

Example squat
Warmup 1 bar x 10
Warmup 2 1 plate X5
Warmup 3 2 plates X5
Warmup 4 3 plates X3-5
Warmup 5 4plates x 1-2
Working set 4 plates x max
Never. That’s wasted effort that cojld be applied to working sets.

@Mac11wildcat Regarding training I started making 2 top sets and a back off set for little body parts like delts arms calves.

I am doing it since 8 weeks and I am making progress and don't get too tired.

What do you think about that? In your opinion can be it a good idea.... Or there's something smarter to do?

@Mac11wildcat Regarding training I started making 2 top sets and a back off set for little body parts like delts arms calves.

I am doing it since 8 weeks and I am making progress and don't get too tired.

What do you think about that? In your opinion can be it a good idea.... Or there's something smarter to do?
The question of volume has to be considered in relation to your intensity. Learning to go to true failure is a skill and is where the least volume is needed no matter the individual.

As you get further from true failure the more volume is needed for the same stimulus (or so current studies claim).

Gear and genetics can blur this line a bit.

If I did two working sets to failure at the same weight and then a backdown set to failure my second working set would be drastically lower in reps and eventually I know I would accumulate fatigue day to day faster than is useful. If it works for you, then keep going.

The question of volume has to be considered in relation to your intensity. Learning to go to true failure is a skill and is where the least volume is needed no matter the individual.

As you get further from true failure the more volume is needed for the same stimulus (or so current studies claim).

Gear and genetics can blur this line a bit.

If I did two working sets to failure at the same weight and then a backdown set to failure my second working set would be drastically lower in reps and eventually I know I would accumulate fatigue day to day faster than is useful. If it works for you, then keep going.
My idea is that sometimes on some little bodyparts i can't hit true failure so for example i do:

DB Lateral Raises
first set, top set: 40lbs 12 reps
second set, 2nd top set: 40 lbs 11 reps
third set, back off set: 30 lbs 18 reps

That way in my mind, i have the idea to hit failure at least on second set.
IF the second top set it's drastically lower in reps than the first one, i just remove a set (i am doing that atm on calves for example....).

The first question that popped into my mind was, why not?

You gave the example of DB Lateral Raises, and the first set was 40 pounds (very heavy, by the way) for 12 reps.

Well, did you try 13?
I hit failure at 12 but then on second set I had some more... So in my mind, I think that i didn't hit total failure.....

I hope you don't think I am being an idiot here, because I feel like I am missing something. On the second set, if you have more, just keep going until you don't.

On an exercise like lateral raises, there is no real danger when you fail like there is with the last rep on squats with no safety bars.

I hope you don't think I am being an idiot here, because I feel like I am missing something. On the second set, if you have more, just keep going until you don't.

On an exercise like lateral raises, there is no real danger when you fail like there is with the last rep on squats with no safety bars.
No no mate, English is not my first language so I think that i am not explaining myself in the best way.

I understood what both you and Mac said.

Was just a bit overthinking it.

View attachment 269996
Back down to 215. On cruise and cleaned out. Bloodwork in 2 weeks.

Mid December we put all of this years failure and stress behind me, throw 15-20lbs on, and do our best to earn an O qualification.
Looking pretty darn lean and you certainly don't look 215lbs. Good luck on your journey after putting this year in the rearview mirror. Onwards and forwards!

Back