Daily Log to 2019 Show Season

I'll add to this by saying a couple things:
1. yes I CAN grow on this, that does not mean that you or anyone else specifically can but I have trained several guys putting on 20-40lbs in the span of 1-2 years with this training style

2. As you become more experienced I believe you need LESS volume, not more. For two reasons. As you get stronger and loads climb the amount of recovery possible, muscle and CNS, changes. If I need 24 plates on a leg press to fail in the 10-15 rep range and someone that's 160lbs needs 10, who do you think can do more volume and recover? Secondly, training to failure is a SKILL. You learn where failure is. This is why I very much dislike RPE/RIR training fro bodybuilding. It takes an extreme level of experience to estimate those accurately.

3. I have not always trained this way. This isn't the only way to grow. But as stated in a previous post it is the most consistent, least guess work method of ensuring progress. If you add weight or add reps with the same execution there are only two real factors; muscle and CNS adaptation. CNS doesn't scale quickly like muscle tissue can. So if the reps and weights go up, barring the quick changes in a new exercise pattern burn in or being untrained, then numbers almost literally mean muscle.

4. My quads are doing pretty well comparatively to things I believe are weaker on my physique. I also know I could hammer them and they'd grow quickly because they've always been ahead. So my weekly volume per muscle group is based on my growth needs and ease of growing that muscle. Weak arms = more weekly volume. Big legs = less.
I am starting to see this in areas as well, and reading you log, am starting to apply like so, as i believe i was doing alot of fluff volume as well. And i see you and another guy in here do a less amount of volume then i would of thought.

I'll add to this by saying a couple things:
1. yes I CAN grow on this, that does not mean that you or anyone else specifically can but I have trained several guys putting on 20-40lbs in the span of 1-2 years with this training style

2. As you become more experienced I believe you need LESS volume, not more. For two reasons. As you get stronger and loads climb the amount of recovery possible, muscle and CNS, changes. If I need 24 plates on a leg press to fail in the 10-15 rep range and someone that's 160lbs needs 10, who do you think can do more volume and recover? Secondly, training to failure is a SKILL. You learn where failure is. This is why I very much dislike RPE/RIR training fro bodybuilding. It takes an extreme level of experience to estimate those accurately.

3. I have not always trained this way. This isn't the only way to grow. But as stated in a previous post it is the most consistent, least guess work method of ensuring progress. If you add weight or add reps with the same execution there are only two real factors; muscle and CNS adaptation. CNS doesn't scale quickly like muscle tissue can. So if the reps and weights go up, barring the quick changes in a new exercise pattern burn in or being untrained, then numbers almost literally mean muscle.

4. My quads are doing pretty well comparatively to things I believe are weaker on my physique. I also know I could hammer them and they'd grow quickly because they've always been ahead. So my weekly volume per muscle group is based on my growth needs and ease of growing that muscle. Weak arms = more weekly volume. Big legs = less.
I changed from a PPL split to a Brosplit (Back, Shouders and Tris, Ham, rest, Chest and Bis, Quads, rest) because i noticed that i recover better.
Also leg days are not so long like in a PPL style and often i loose the focus.

I think that i will give another try to PPL but with less volume, to see if that was the main culprit. Unfortunately i train in a gym with very limited equipment and i can't have PPL1 PPL2 splits

I changed from a PPL split to a Brosplit (Back, Shouders and Tris, Ham, rest, Chest and Bis, Quads, rest) because i noticed that i recover better.
Also leg days are not so long like in a PPL style and often i loose the focus.

I think that i will give another try to PPL but with less volume, to see if that was the main culprit. Unfortunately i train in a gym with very limited equipment and i can't have PPL1 PPL2 splits
Change the movement order. Single leg vs double leg. Change rep ranges. Doesn’t take much.

On that note I said I was gonna change my split up a bit. Here it is.

Push A
1. HS Incline - 2x6-12
2. Seated Cable Press - 2x8-15
3. DB Lateral Raise - 3x8-15
4. Face Pull (rear delts and shoulder health) - 2x8-15
5. Single Cable Tri Pressdown - 4x8-15
6. HS Lat Row - 2x8-12
7. HS Row - 2x8-12

Legs
1. Adductor - 2x8-12
2. Seated Curl - 2x6-12
3. Hack - 2x8-15
4. Leg Press - 2x8-15
5. Lying Curl - 2x8-12
6. Extension - 5x12

Arms
1. Cable Tri Ext - 4x8-15
2. HS Single Preacher Curl - 3x8-15
3. OH Single Tri Ext - 4x8-15
4. Cable Curl (away from stack) - 3x8-15
5. JM Press - 4x8-15
6. Prime Bar Cable Curl - 3x8-15
7. OTS Single Tri Ext - 4x8-15
8. Single Arm Lat Pulldown - 2x8-12

Push B
1. Incline Smith Press - 2x8-12
2. HS Flat Press - 2x8-12
3. Cuff Cable Lateral - 3x8-15
4. Face Pull - 2x8-15
5. Cable Single Tri Push Thru - 4x8-15
6. Strap Tri Ext - 5x12

Pull B
1. Seated High Cable Lat Row - 2x8-12
2. Single HS Row - 2x8-12
3. Single Cable Pullover - 2x8-12
4. Seated Ham Curl - 2x8-12
5. Adductor - 2x8-12
6. Single DB Preacher - 4x8-15
7. Alt DB Curl SS Seated Cable Row - 3x12 each

You’ll notice I took away a pull day for arm day. I manage back volume by adding pull movements strategically on other days such as arm day (which is all volume) and push A.

Arm volume on other days is lower since there’s an arm day in.

The change to an arm day is based on them being a weaknes and the change to volume is mostly to let my elbows rest up.

On that note I said I was gonna change my split up a bit. Here it is.

Push A
1. HS Incline - 2x6-12
2. Seated Cable Press - 2x8-15
3. DB Lateral Raise - 3x8-15
4. Face Pull (rear delts and shoulder health) - 2x8-15
5. Single Cable Tri Pressdown - 4x8-15
6. HS Lat Row - 2x8-12
7. HS Row - 2x8-12

Legs
1. Adductor - 2x8-12
2. Seated Curl - 2x6-12
3. Hack - 2x8-15
4. Leg Press - 2x8-15
5. Lying Curl - 2x8-12
6. Extension - 5x12

Arms
1. Cable Tri Ext - 4x8-15
2. HS Single Preacher Curl - 3x8-15
3. OH Single Tri Ext - 4x8-15
4. Cable Curl (away from stack) - 3x8-15
5. JM Press - 4x8-15
6. Prime Bar Cable Curl - 3x8-15
7. OTS Single Tri Ext - 4x8-15
8. Single Arm Lat Pulldown - 2x8-12

Push B
1. Incline Smith Press - 2x8-12
2. HS Flat Press - 2x8-12
3. Cuff Cable Lateral - 3x8-15
4. Face Pull - 2x8-15
5. Cable Single Tri Push Thru - 4x8-15
6. Strap Tri Ext - 5x12

Pull B
1. Seated High Cable Lat Row - 2x8-12
2. Single HS Row - 2x8-12
3. Single Cable Pullover - 2x8-12
4. Seated Ham Curl - 2x8-12
5. Adductor - 2x8-12
6. Single DB Preacher - 4x8-15
7. Alt DB Curl SS Seated Cable Row - 3x12 each

You’ll notice I took away a pull day for arm day. I manage back volume by adding pull movements strategically on other days such as arm day (which is all volume) and push A.

Arm volume on other days is lower since there’s an arm day in.

The change to an arm day is based on them being a weaknes and the change to volume is mostly to let my elbows rest up.
Where do rest days go?

@Mac11wildcat , i think i never asked you that but... do you ever take a deload week? How you manage deloads?
I do not schedule deloads. I find bodybuilding delaods far less necessary and life usually handles it for me.

If I need one I stay with the same exercises and change everything to volume with 6-7 movements of 3-4 sets each all short of failure. Then after i assess if any movements need changed

I do not schedule deloads. I find bodybuilding delaods far less necessary and life usually handles it for me.

If I need one I stay with the same exercises and change everything to volume with 6-7 movements of 3-4 sets each all short of failure. Then after i assess if any movements need changed
I tried to take a week completely off from workouts for a while every 6 weeks, then tried 8 then 12 weeks, in the end life always made me loose one workout or two here and there.... Maybe i have to just not stress this enough.

Back