Palifter’s competition log

Hello all!

I have decided to change up my training starting next week. It still remains a 5 day split but I'll now be following the below template:

Day 1 - Upper
Day 2 - Lower
Day 3 - Rest
Day 4 - Push
Day 5 - Pull
Day 6 - Legs
Day 7 - Rest

This will reduce my volume per day but increase my frequency throughout the week which will be a nice change and should yield some positive gains over time.

I will lay out the actual movements and volume on a particular day as I start to implement this next week.

Have a great week!
Hello champion. OOO it will be with interest to watch your reports and how it will change your progress.

New routine:

Day 1 (upper)

DB Flat Bench 6 x 4-6
Flat DB Flye 4 x 8-10
Hex Press 4 x 12-15
Triceps Dip 4 x 12-15
21s 3 x 21

Day 2 (lower)
Bulgarian Split Squat 4 x 10-12
DB Box Step-up 4 x 10-12
Lying Hamstring Curl 5 x 12-15
Standing Calf Raise 4 x 10-12
Seated Calf Raise 3 x 18-20

Day 3 (push)
Standing Overhead Press 4 x 8-10
Incline DB Bench Press 4 x 8-10
JM Press 5 x 10-12
French Press 3 x 8-10
Triceps Pushdown 2 x 15-18

Day 4 (pull)
Romanian Deadlift 4 x 8-10
Chest Supported Mid Grip Row 5 x 10-12
Lat Pulldown 4 x 12-15
Alternating Incline Dumbbell Curl 5 x 10-12
Hammer Curl 4 x 12-15

Day 5 (legs)
Leg Press 4 x 18-20
Alternating DB Lunge 4 x 10-12
Leg Extensions 3 x 12-15
Standing Calf Raise 4 x 8-10
Seated Calf Raise 4 x 12-15

New routine:

Day 1 (upper)

DB Flat Bench 6 x 4-6
Flat DB Flye 4 x 8-10
Hex Press 4 x 12-15
Triceps Dip 4 x 12-15
21s 3 x 21

Day 2 (lower)
DB Box Step-up 4 x 10-12

Day 3 (push)
JM Press 5 x 10-12
French Press 3 x 8-10

Day 4 (pull)
Lat Pulldown 4 x 12-15
Hammer Curl 4 x 12-15

Day 5 (legs)
Leg Press 4 x 18-20
Leg Extensions 3 x 12-15
I love this training style. Super simple and effective. It's similar to what I'm currently doing.

How do you feel the leg growth will go with only 1 compound movement for legs? A lot of isolation type exercises but not anything heavy.
Just curious, trust me if I could get away with less CNS destroying workouts on legs I would.
My gym just put in a new belt squat, don’t really like it, hurts the package/inner thighs, but waaaaaaaay less wreckage in the cns.

How do you feel the leg growth will go with only 1 compound movement for legs? A lot of isolation type exercises but not anything heavy.
Just curious, trust me if I could get away with less CNS destroying workouts on legs I would.
My gym just put in a new belt squat, don’t really like it, hurts the package/inner thighs, but waaaaaaaay less wreckage in the cns.
4 sets of 20 is a total of 80 reps on the leg press. It's a workout.

Then he is following up with lunges, which is still a compound movement.

Anyway, he is intentionally decreasing his volume. If it does not work well, he can always go back to the other way of doing it.

Most guys do not ever experiment like this to see what works.

I have challenged guys before to try 4 sets of 20 on squats. Most guys will never try it.

4 sets of 20 is a total of 80 reps on the leg press. It's a workout.

Then he is following up with lunges, which is still a compound movement.

Anyway, he is intentionally decreasing his volume. If it does not work well, he can always go back to the other way of doing it.

Most guys do not ever experiment like this to see what works.

I have challenged guys before to try 4 sets of 20 on squats. Most guys will never try it.
In no way am I discrediting his approach, I’m sayin I like it and would easily switch to something less taxing on both my legs days,(p,p,l). May have to try higher volume for legs, these heavy leg days are leaving me fucked for days at a time. (But the wheels are growing) so I keep on doing it.

And yeah my too set in leg day #1 is a leg press for 25 reps where I’m currently up to 17 1/2 half plates.

An example, my notes from a couple weeks ago. What do you think

Attachments

• EED97D66-2490-447E-AA52-87762931F35A.jpeg
    EED97D66-2490-447E-AA52-87762931F35A.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 29
And yeah my too set in leg day #1 is a leg press for 25 reps where I’m currently up to 17 1/2 half plates.
Is that just one set? I can't tell from looking at that. Palifter is doing 4 sets.

High rep squats or leg presses are fine for one set, get taxing by the second set, and by the third set dizziness and that puke feeling start to creep in. Then on to a fourth set.

@malfeasance summed up things nicely below.

I should also note that the above routine I shared is a template more than anything. For instance, this latest lower day I actually did do belt squats on the pit shark as my main movement. I agree the belt squat can be somewhat uncomfortable but I found this is more so to do with the actual belt attachment - the one at my gym was abused and worn, once I purchased my own the pain went away.

I can’t do anything spinal loading without pain so I’ve had to adapt my training. Heavy traditional squats and the like are a no go. My legs actually respond very well to leg extensions thankfully.

New routine:

Day 1 (upper)

DB Flat Bench 6 x 4-6
Flat DB Flye 4 x 8-10
Hex Press 4 x 12-15
Triceps Dip 4 x 12-15
21s 3 x 21

Day 2 (lower)
DB Box Step-up 4 x 10-12

Day 3 (push)
JM Press 5 x 10-12
French Press 3 x 8-10

Day 4 (pull)
Lat Pulldown 4 x 12-15
Hammer Curl 4 x 12-15

Day 5 (legs)
Leg Press 4 x 18-20
Leg Extensions 3 x 12-15
Hi

Now you are in a Bulk phase? how are you managing your diet in this period?

Is that just one set? I can't tell from looking at that. Palifter is doing 4 sets.

High rep squats or leg presses are fine for one set, get taxing by the second set, and by the third set dizziness and that puke feeling start to creep in. Then on to a fourth set.
Yes just a warmup or two, very few reps that the documented set, my top set, is an all out til failure, focusing on progressively getting stronger each week. After about 12 weeks I go with more volumes for a few weeks.

@malfeasance summed up things nicely below.

I should also note that the above routine I shared is a template more than anything. For instance, this latest lower day I actually did do belt squats on the pit shark as my main movement. I agree the belt squat can be somewhat uncomfortable but I found this is more so to do with the actual belt attachment - the one at my gym was abused and worn, once I purchased my own the pain went away.

I can’t do anything spinal loading without pain so I’ve had to adapt my training. Heavy traditional squats and the like are a no go. My legs actually respond very well to leg extensions thankfully.
By the way, how do you end up with belt squats and classic squats in terms of hypertrophy of the muscles of the legs and buttocks. What is better and can replace the classic ones?

Yep, currently in offseason. My macros are below:

Training days: 350p/750c/80f

Non-training days: 350p/375c/80f

Weight is around 275-277lbs
And how does this decrease in carbohydrates on non-training days feel in terms of hunger and no weakness the next day?

Been hitting a plateau in the gym and on the scale the last 2 weeks or so. In the past, aside from throwing in a little more food, I've had success with a short run of anadrol and/or NPP to get past sticking points. I think ill do a mix of both in a week or so. This would be in addition to my current test + primo stack.