Time for some size!

So today will be hitting 4000 cals clean as can be.

did back and shoulders
5 back
4 shoulders

abs/core pm with walk.

Chest and triceps today, then a walk.

will be doing core in PM and some yoga.

back to eating 4000 cals.

just rice and chicken, then a cheat meal at night.

Nice, going to keep it at 4300 ish for calories.

My temper is high which is ok, as long as i catch it.

but i definitly notice a disconnection of feelings. So have to be careful because i dont want to be rude to anyone. So going to run it for 2-3 more weeks then stop.

which should be about 7-8 weeks total.

i will then cruise on high test and maybe add deca. Have to see.

How many total working sets you do per day?
an example would be today is legs.

Deadlift
10x135
10x225
10x285
6x325
6x325
4x350
i need straps badly

so i guess for deadlift it was 3 working sets

quad extension
5x12

hammy curls
5x12

leg push backs
5x12

A set that you count x) not warmups etc
So then for each compound lift i do 1-2 working sets. Does that make sense to you?

at the end of each of these exercises ill do 1-2 working sets, depending on what i chose for that day.

usually 2 compound lifts per muscle and the rest pump or accessory work

compound exercises

chest
Bench press
Dumbbell press
Landmine press
incline press

back
Lat pulldowns
Bent rows
Close grip cable rows

shoulders
Press

legs
Deadlift
Squats

biceps
All pump work

triceps
All pump work

edit- so i guess it ends up being 4 working sets for that muscle total.

A set that you count x) not warmups etc
I never really figured it out before.

is there a certain number to aim for?

i know i studied it in school what it should be, but i kind of just dismissed it as i did what i felt was best.

but i should follow that information better.

How many total working sets you do per day?
Is doing an exercise to failure no matter the amount of reps considered a working set?

so at the end of a bicep workout, if you do 10 lbs to failure no matter the amount of reps. Is that a working set?

where this same exercise done in the begginning of a routine could be considered a warm up.

I never really figured it out before.

is there a certain number to aim for?

i know i studied it in school what it should be, but i kind of just dismissed it as i did what i felt was best.

but i should follow that information better.
Eh... there are many school of thought.
- The Jordan Peters one, low volume high intensity, works with rep ranges, for example:
Bench press 1x 5-9 also called top set (you choose a weight that you will fail in this range of reps)
1 x 10-12 also called back off (don't know exactly the right term for this.)
A drop set or a rest pause here and there. Some pump work on machines, but never that much volume, maybe 10 sets per muscle group per week.

- lyle Mcdonald one, somehow similar with the jp one, he has set a general rule of thumb of 10-20 sets per muscle group per week to generate hypertrophy. High intensity heres too, but not always to failure I guess, something between rir 2 and failure on last set of that exercise. Not 100% sure about this.

- mike israetel one, high volume medium intensity. You can see here

How many sets are generally recommended. MV is maintenance volume, MEV is minimum effective volume, MAV is maximum effective volume, MRV is maximum recoverable volume.

Forgive my bad English I'm doing my best to explain this haha

But that's not what i meant with total working sets x)

Is doing an exercise to failure no matter the amount of reps considered a working set?

so at the end of a bicep workout, if you do 10 lbs to failure no matter the amount of reps. Is that a working set?

where this same exercise done in the begginning of a routine could be considered a warm up.
Theoretically yes, but there's also a rep range that does generate hypertrophy, usually it revolves around between 6 to 15 reps.

Rep range depends on exercise for me. Squats - pyramid to 4-6 reps working. Leg press straight sets 15 reps working, hack squat pyramid to 10-12 reps working, lunges/extensions straight sets 15-25 reps working - failure. Back-off sets at end of working sets to add intensity, or cluster sets, rest pause sets, or drop sets.

Theoretically yes, but there's also a rep range that does generate hypertrophy, usually it revolves around between 6 to 15 reps.
Absolutely, there is and everything you explained was very informative, thank you.

there is also a concept of the “size principe”.

Which explains the ranges of endurance, hypertrophy, and strength.

On another note, high volume to failure can produce hypertrophy as well,

i believe this also goes with muscle fiber recruitment, where your body starts with the smaller muscle fibers and as those wear down or get tired bigger muscle fibers are recruited, thus when supersets or high volume sets to failure are thrown in as well, you hit the muscle fibers type 1 but than hit type 2 muscle fibers which are hypertrophic.

But i probably do train a bit to much on high volume side. I should probably change that up these last couple weeks.
however 10 sets per muscle seems like nothing. Unless its 10 working sets?

which is where pripelins chart comes in, but than again that seems like such little volume.

Last edited:
Rep range depends on exercise for me. Squats - pyramid to 4-6 reps working. Leg press straight sets 15 reps working, hack squat pyramid to 10-12 reps working, lunges/extensions straight sets 15-25 reps working - failure. Back-off sets at end of working sets to add intensity, or cluster sets, rest pause sets, or drop sets.
i agree with those, its what i do also.

Yes, this is what it feels like, but according to the scientific data for a natural its not. Those ranges are not ideal for hypertrophy.
BUT!
Thats from journals and data of a population that is not bodybuilding,

So its interesting trying to find what works best, since the scientific data also does not invole 2 grams if AAS being used, while getting that info.

Back