Do you always have to be in a caloric deficit when you want to lose fat?

cassius

Considering that the loss of body fat only occurs in the long term and that the significant variations in weight, when starting a diet, are due to the loss of muscle glycogen and intra and extracellular water, the individual who is willing to lose fat You will need to stay on a diet for a considerable amount of time.

Only about 20% of people who lose weight actually manage to stay slimmer for at least a year after that loss (1). The reason for this is due to some factors, such as adaptive thermogenesis, the drop in non-exercise activity thermogenesis (NEAT) (any and all activities performed on a day-to-day basis that have nothing to do with resisted physical activity and aerobic activities, for example) and the physiological adaptations of appetite and satiety control (2, 3).

Knowing this, intelligently manipulating calories over the weeks can lead the individual to a greater loss of weight and body fat, saving more lean mass, in addition to being less exposed to hunger, a drop in performance during training and also the throughout the day. And this is exactly what was demonstrated in the MATADOR Study (Minimizing Adaptive Thermogenesis And Deactivating Obesity Rebound) (4).

When we talk about fat loss, we know that the first thing we need to consider for this to actually occur is what we call a “calorie deficit”, which is nothing more than eating fewer calories than you expend. This can be achieved by manipulating diet and physical activity (eating less and/or increasing training intensity and volume).

Knowing this, many people already tend to go straight into a very low-calorie diet (>1000kcal/day deficit). That is, if the person has a total energy expenditure (TEE) around 2500kcal/day, then he/she would start with a diet below 1500kcal/day. This can bring more significant results. However, this practice can become unsustainable in the long term, and thus less effective. It is always important to point out here that fat loss happens chronically. The significant variation in weight that occurs at the beginning of a fat loss plan is mainly due to the loss of muscle glycogen and intra and extracellular water.

In 2017, Byrne et al carried out the MATADOR Study (4), separating 51 obese men into two groups, with group [1] undergoing continuous calorie restriction, that is, they gradually reduced their calories every 2 weeks; and group [2], who would do intermittent calorie restriction, that is, 2 weeks consuming fewer calories, followed by 2 weeks consuming calories similar to their GET. Both groups had an initial 4-week phase undergoing an adaptation before going into deficit, however, 47 men followed in the study according to the criteria used by the researchers. The caloric deficit of both groups was 33% in relation to the GET and this deficit was recalculated every 4 weeks as weight loss occurred. The breakdown of macronutrients was similar between the groups: about 15-20% protein, 25-30% lipid, and 50-60% carbohydrate.

RESULT: The group [2], which restricted calories intermittently, achieved greater weight and body fat loss, without greater loss of lean mass, and also had less impact on their resting energy expenditure (REE). In addition, the researchers also assessed the maintenance of this weight loss 8 weeks and 6 months later. Both groups remained with stable weight in the first two weeks, but only group [2] managed to remain thinner at 8 weeks post-intervention. After 6 months, weight regain was variable between the two groups, but group [2] still had less weight and less body fat.

CONCLUSION: From the authors themselves: “INTERMITENT ENERGY RESTRICTION resulted in greater weight loss (fat loss) without greater loss of lean mass, attenuation of REE reduction, and superior weight loss after 6 months compared with a CONTINUOUS ENERGY RESTRICTION. While adaptive reductions in REE were attenuated using this 2:2 intermittent approach, it is possible that the greater weight loss in the INTERMITTENT group could also be due to reduced compensation in other energy functions, such as the thermic effect of food and energy expenditure. of the activity”.

--
References:

1 - Rena R Wing, Suzanne Phelan, Long-term weight loss maintenance, The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, Volume 82, Issue 1, July 2005, Pages 222S–225S, https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/82.1 .222S

2 - Dulloo AG, Jacquet J, Montani JP, Schutz Y. Adaptive thermogenesis in human body weight regulation: more of a concept than a measurable entity? Obesity Reviews: an Official Journal of the International Association for the Study of Obesity. 2012 Dec;13 Suppl 2:105-121. DOI: 10.1111/j.1467-789x.2012.01041.x.

3 - Trexler, E.T., Smith-Ryan, A.E. & Norton, L.E. Metabolic adaptation to weight loss: implications for the athlete. J Int Soc Sports Nutr 11, 7 (2014). https://doi.org/10.1186/1550-2783-11-7

4 - Byrne, N., Sainsbury, A., King, N. et al. Intermittent energy restriction improves weight loss efficiency in obese men: the MATADOR study. Int J Obes 42, 129–138 (2018). https://doi.org/10.1038/ijo.2017.206

Image 1
matador 1.jpg

Image 2
matador 2 - Copia.jpg

This is a great post! Nice work man.

You may be interested in my post on the body's "mechanostat" and other mechanisms by which we subconsciously regulate our weight. Check it out here. It is fascinating but our bones actually know how much we weigh and play a role in weight lose and especially rebound in either direction, whether it be gaining or losing weight.

There's many factors that go into whether someone keeps weight off after losing it. The faster you lose weight the more likely you are to gain it back (due to the mechanostat and downstream effects on leptin and ghrelin).

Another factor is sitting. Sitting actually physically disrupts the mechanostat, as it deloads our bones. So being more sedentary could theoretically help someone who is bulking to gain weight, not only by reducing calorie burn, but also by ensuring the mechanosrat doesn't kick in and reduce our appetite by ramping up leptin. It could also help with weight loss by preventing appetite increase as we lode weight, but the problem is the reduced calorie burn. As I said in the post referenced above, it's possible wearing a weighted vest all day while on your feet could help reduce appetite as your body is tricked into thinking it is heavier than it is. I have indeed heard one anecdote from a bodybuilder who did this as he was prepping for a contest and he said it was the easiest cut he's ever done, despite being the leanest he's ever been.

If you get lean enough, then hormonal disruption occurs. Reduced testosterone, reduced T3, and more. Making it harder and harder to lose weight as you get lower and lower with calories aka nto a larger deficit.

This subject has always interested me greatly. Glad to see a new thread about it!

This is a great post! Nice work man.

You may be interested in my post on the body's "mechanostat" and other mechanisms by which we subconsciously regulate our weight. Check it out here. It is fascinating but our bones actually know how much we weigh and play a role in weight lose and especially rebound in either direction, whether it be gaining or losing weight.

There's many factors that go into whether someone keeps weight off after losing it. The faster you lose weight the more likely you are to gain it back (due to the mechanostat and downstream effects on leptin and ghrelin).

Another factor is sitting. Sitting actually physically disrupts the mechanostat, as it deloads our bones. So being more sedentary could theoretically help someone who is bulking to gain weight, not only by reducing calorie burn, but also by ensuring the mechanosrat doesn't kick in and reduce our appetite by ramping up leptin. It could also help with weight loss by preventing appetite increase as we lode weight, but the problem is the reduced calorie burn. As I said in the post referenced above, it's possible wearing a weighted vest all day while on your feet could help reduce appetite as your body is tricked into thinking it is heavier than it is. I have indeed heard one anecdote from a bodybuilder who did this as he was prepping for a contest and he said it was the easiest cut he's ever done, despite being the leanest he's ever been.

If you get lean enough, then hormonal disruption occurs. Reduced testosterone, reduced T3, and more. Making it harder and harder to lose weight as you get lower and lower with calories aka nto a larger deficit.

This subject has always interested me greatly. Glad to see a new thread about it!
Good Morning, brother!

Damn it! Thank you so much for your feedback!

I am a nutritionist and I also train bodybuilding athletes (including professional athletes). These subjects have always interested me a lot and, therefore, I decided to share them here.

I will read your post with great pleasure and thank you for sharing it here.

I will be posting more content soon. I hope you enjoy.

Hugs!

Good Morning, brother!

Damn it! Thank you so much for your feedback!

I am a nutritionist and I also train bodybuilding athletes (including professional athletes). These subjects have always interested me a lot and, therefore, I decided to share them here.

I will read your post with great pleasure and thank you for sharing it here.

I will be posting more content soon. I hope you enjoy.

Hugs!
Nice! I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to your next post. Take care man!

Nice! I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to your next post. Take care man!

Take a look, man! =D

@cassius

Great post!

When someone has to lose as much weight as possible in a month or three for example. You don’t really have much of a choice it has to be a steep deficit.

But I do agree that long term incorporating refeed days or doing something like carb cycling (eg: high, low, medium carb days) is much better for maintaining muscle while dieting!

Keep up the great work!

I believe those of us who aren't competitive, should take our time to get lean, because we don't have a deadline to reach, and there is no reason to push the maximum.

I have been in a cut since Feb 21st; I started my log cutting on 3k calories, then slowly going down to 2700, while doing LISS cardio over a three month period. Then I took a two week break at the 12 week mark, virtually eating whatever I wanted. I gained about 10ls lol, but lost that in three days when I started phase 2 of my cut, probably because I really lost fat over that time, slowly, rather than LBM. Now I'm doing 2500 calories with no cardio, and losing fat.

I believe those of us who aren't competitive, should take our time to get lean, because we don't have a deadline to reach, and there is no reason to push the maximum.

I have been in a cut since Feb 21st; I started my log cutting on 3k calories, then slowly going down to 2700, while doing LISS cardio over a three month period. Then I took a two week break at the 12 week mark, virtually eating whatever I wanted. I gained about 10ls lol, but lost that in three days when I started phase 2 of my cut, probably because I really lost fat over that time, slowly, rather than LBM. Now I'm doing 2500 calories with no cardio, and losing fat.
Excellent report, bro!

In fact, the way I conduct a preparation for an athlete of mine is totally different from a client who is not an athlete. Athletes need to be in the best condition possible until a certain date. We, who are not athletes, simply need to live the lifestyle, with no specific date to be a "peak".

The biggest mistake people make is wanting to follow a plan as if they were athletes, as most will not be able to keep to the plan, much less sustain the results in the future. And what's the point of achieving the physique of dreams and then regressing again?

Before changing the physical, we need to change our minds.

Hgh fasted cardio works incredible even when i eat at maintenence rest of day, i loos fat and gain muscle

Hgh fasted cardio works incredible even when i eat at maintenence rest of day, i loos fat and gain muscle
GH potentiates lipolysis, decreases lipogenesis and, indirectly through IGF-1, may favor mass gain, especially if associated with the use of steroids.